FIFA World Cup

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:45 am

8O wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
8O wrote: :roll:
I'm as leftwing as they come here in the Lounge and I still find that weird. Benzema for instance wouldn't do this. And I don't think during the whole world cup I've seen anyone do this :?:
But hey, it's their choice to not win with the correct country... :roll:
Why do you find it weird?

Edit: On second thoughts, can't be bothered: it's a racist remark. :arrow:
If anything it's not racist, but nationalist.

And I don't even see how it is particularly so expecting the people who play for a national team to stand with the country they play for.

Imagine in 20 years when the German population will have shifted even further and there are 9 players with immigrant parents on the field and while the anthem is playing all stand there staying mum and demonstrating that they don't actually give a shit about the country they play for. Will you find it weird then?!

There are a lot of things wrong in our country in the way we still treat them as foreigners and not as just other Germans with a different name and complexion, but they are here to stay, (something I welcome btw.) and if there are things they don't like about our country they should fight to change them (Germany is still partly a democracy after all). But just pretending these things don't concern them, because they are of another nationality, a nationality of a country they often don't speak the language of anymore and to where they have no inclination to ever move to, is not going to accomplish anything.

If anything, these three players singing the national anthem with gusto, would be an empowering show of force for them!

8O
Posts: 5502
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am
Location: Berlin

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by 8O » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:59 am

What's racist is your assumption behind their motives for choosing not to sing. Take a moment to google some previous tournaments where Oliver Kahn stands there mum and, according to you, demonstrating he doesn't give a shit about his country. Racist assumptions, mate... no time for that bullshit... see you...
Image

sporkles
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by sporkles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:07 am

Tom, you must be watching your fußball on mute, because anyone who's actually heard footballers sing their national anthem before the match would never question the non-singers' motives.

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:11 am

8O wrote:What's racist is your assumption behind their motives for choosing not to sing. Take a moment to google some previous tournaments where Oliver Kahn stands there mum and, according to you, demonstrating he doesn't give a shit about his country. Racist assumptions, mate... no time for that bullshit... see you...
So you say it's coincidence that it's exactly these three players... :roll:

A little more careful with that racism hammer too, there won't be any progress if things can not be talked about openly.

It's just like saying that criticizing Israel is automatically anti-semitic.

In a way you are the one assuming motives on my part

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:13 am

sporkles wrote:Tom, you must be watching your fußball on mute, because anyone who's actually heard footballers sing their national anthem before the match would never question the non-singers' motives.
:lol:

In a way that's a good idea either way, because of the inane crap the commentators spew the whole time :x

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by derzai » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 am

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit, I always whistle. Melody by Joseph Haydn. Klinsmann jumped up too when they played the German national anthem, even when he was on the side of the Americans. lol.

(Mein Fuehrer I can walk)

Tonight is Holland "dran".

After yesterday's match I dont give any predictions anymore. lol.

And you know, just after the pauze they (Brazil) still had 3 or 4 good opportunities, really, they could have made, and then the match would have been open again.

Okay, 3-0. For Holland.

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by derzai » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:56 am

The dutch national anthem? lol. First line is: "Willem of Nassau, I am from German blood". Well nobody sings that loud.

And the final? Germany can have the cup, as a dutch reporter said: "ffs, they never wan a war". lol.

Okay, we will see.

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by derzai » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:00 am

Image

(the text says:"proud on our guys")

re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by re:dream » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Image

re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by re:dream » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:06 pm

If people choose not to sing the NA, it is obviously significant... But their reasons may differ from person to person. It may be that they don't give a shit; it may be that they are saying 'fuck you'. Or that they have forgotten the words.

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:21 pm

re:dream wrote:If people choose not to sing the NA, it is obviously significant... But their reasons may differ from person to person. It may be that they don't give a shit; it may be that they are saying 'fuck you'. Or that they have forgotten the words.
Which is precisely my point. Especially in conjunction with the picture you posted above.
Not singing it means something. (except for the forgotten the words part, but since the three were doing it every match so far, they would have had ample time to rectify that.)

If it means: I don't give a shit, then why are they playing for a national team in the first place. (and really that's why I offered, just move your lips, this way you can not give a fuck and no one cares)

If it means fuck you as a protest, sure do that, but why am I not hearing anything else from them about it and what their protest is all about.

There is so much symbolism in these events (and that's the whole point of them, otherwise it's just 22 people kicking a ball for 90 min), that I find it difficult to except that a gesture like this doesn't mean anything.

And if it does, speak up! I might even support you!

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Prediction for tonight:

I revert from my "low goal number from now on" stance (which was quite obviously wrong ;-))

and say 2:0 or 3:1 for the Dutch

Though in the interest for the German team, an Argentina win would be much better, first because they are a much weaker opponent (IMO) and second because the final would then be almost like a home game for us, because as far as I can tell, the Brazilians hate the Argentinians guts (football wise), so they would probably cheer for us.
(also because it feels much better to have lost against the world champion than against the team in second place)

re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by re:dream » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm

TomViolenz wrote: If it means: I don't give a shit, then why are they playing for a national team in the first place. (and really that's why I offered, just move your lips, this way you can not give a fuck and no one cares)
You might have many other valid reasons (other than patriotism) for playing on the national team.
If it means fuck you as a protest, sure do that, but why am I not hearing anything else from them about it and what their protest is all about.
Maybe they give so little of a shit that they don't feel they need to justify themselves to you.

:)

re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by re:dream » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:18 pm

Anyway,


this was funny:

Image

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:48 pm

re:dream wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: If it means: I don't give a shit, then why are they playing for a national team in the first place. (and really that's why I offered, just move your lips, this way you can not give a fuck and no one cares)
You might have many other valid reasons (other than patriotism) for playing on the national team.
If it means fuck you as a protest, sure do that, but why am I not hearing anything else from them about it and what their protest is all about.
Maybe they give so little of a shit that they don't feel they need to justify themselves to you.

:)
:roll:
Yeah sure, I was the one who invented tribalism, nations and international sports competitions to honor them.

They chose to be part of all that, now they should play that game :x

It's like publicly stating that they are not proud to be a member of the team they are part of in their everyday live, sure it's possible, but it is just not done ! :x

Why, because that's what the whole damn thing is about!
Otherwise it's just young capable men in their best working age, putting way too much emphasis on a pastime.

Post Reply