FIFA World Cup

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by derzai » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:55 am

Image

sepp shaking hands. lol.

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by derzai » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:00 am

TomViolenz wrote:
derzai wrote:Thierry Henry would be good coach for England. Start with young group and then give credit for four years.

Belgium Algeria so far, after 15 minutes, still 0-0. Belgium has difficulties.
Yeah, saw the first half. Algeria has a very good defence and in the beginning the offense was quite controled too. So the 1:0 is very much deserved.
That whole Belgium the dark horse of the tournament hype, was just that, empty hype.
Little premature. Belgium eventually won the match.

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by derzai » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:08 am

In the 1982 worldcup Algeria beated West-Germany 2-1. Then they lost 0-2 against Austria. The third match they won too, against Chile, 3-2.

Then West-Germany and Austria decided to play 1-0, so both West-Germany and Austria could continue. One of the most scandalous matches ever.

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:54 am

derzai wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
derzai wrote:Thierry Henry would be good coach for England. Start with young group and then give credit for four years.

Belgium Algeria so far, after 15 minutes, still 0-0. Belgium has difficulties.
Yeah, saw the first half. Algeria has a very good defence and in the beginning the offense was quite controled too. So the 1:0 is very much deserved.
That whole Belgium the dark horse of the tournament hype, was just that, empty hype.
Little premature. Belgium eventually won the match.
Doesn't change that the hype was empty. To be a dark horse favorite you would need to beat other teams than Algeria! (and you should beat teams like Algeria with ease) ;-)

Regarding dark horse favorits though, I was really impressed by Chile. I know, I know, beating a team like Spain is not really a big deal anymore :mrgreen:

But the way they played looked fearsome. I'm really looking forward to the match Netherlands-Chile now. This will give us a sense of where these teams really stand at the moment!

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:58 am

derzai wrote:Image

sepp shaking hands. lol.

Well, that was definetely a flop, he should see red for this :mrgreen:

sporkles
Posts: 3204
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by sporkles » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:00 am

andydes wrote: It's OK. Now we just need Italy to beat Costa Rica and Uruguay, whilst winning against Costa Rica ourselves. During which time we need to make up 5 goals on Costa Rica. Then we scrape through on goal difference. Or something.

:x
That shouldn't be too hard. My hopes are up, now.

Now that England yet again didn't live up to our completely misguided expectations, I think it would be absolutely hilarious if Uruguay and Costa Rica advance from this group.

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by derzai » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 am

TomViolenz wrote:Doesn't change that the hype was empty. To be a dark horse favorite you would need to beat other teams than Algeria! (and you should beat teams like Algeria with ease) ;-)

Regarding dark horse favorits though, I was really impressed by Chile. I know, I know, beating a team like Spain is not really a big deal anymore :mrgreen:

But the way they played looked fearsome. I'm really looking forward to the match Netherlands-Chile now. This will give us a sense of where these teams really stand at the moment!
Still has to be proven that the hype was empty. Yeh, Chile has been playing very well so far. Chile will have to win against Holland to be first in the group. We assume Brasil will defeat

Kameroun, so if you want to avoid Brasil in the knock-out you will have to be the first in the group.

We will see.

Germany - Ghana saturday?

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:13 am

derzai wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Doesn't change that the hype was empty. To be a dark horse favorite you would need to beat other teams than Algeria! (and you should beat teams like Algeria with ease) ;-)

Regarding dark horse favorits though, I was really impressed by Chile. I know, I know, beating a team like Spain is not really a big deal anymore :mrgreen:

But the way they played looked fearsome. I'm really looking forward to the match Netherlands-Chile now. This will give us a sense of where these teams really stand at the moment!
Still has to be proven that the hype was empty. Yeh, Chile has been playing very well so far. Chile will have to win against Holland to be first in the group. We assume Brasil will defeat
Absolutely, that's what I mean. Both can still win the group, and after what I saw from Chile against Spain, they might actually pull it off. I don't envy the Dutch! The game against Chile will require a totally different strategy, than the one against Spain did. Let's see if they can dominate with such a strategy as well!
Germany - Ghana saturday?
Yup, will be interesting. I expect a 1:0 or a 2:1, a draw is not unthinkable.
Ghana is always tough to play.
Especially if they don't repeat the stupid mistake of not bringing Boateng from the beginning. That guy can not only fight, but actually play!

sporkles
Posts: 3204
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by sporkles » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:32 pm

Well, that hope vanished quickly! :lol: Seriously: I think Uruguay will follow Costa Rica into the next round. Italy were shite.

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:27 pm

sporkles wrote:Well, that hope vanished quickly! :lol: Seriously: I think Uruguay will follow Costa Rica into the next round. Italy were shite.
I was surprised to read about Italy losing. I didn't turn on the telly, because I thought that thing is done and boring. Quite a few surprises in this tournament, I have to say.

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:18 pm

Ok, I expected Ghana to be tough to play, but I'm still dissapointed by our midfield in conter attack situations. That was often disarray :x

There are tougher opponents to come than Ghana, and this is no way to win a tournament.

On the other hand, I think this was a very much needed wake up call. That 4:0 in the first game against Portugal made us complacent I think.
To come back after being behind, was also a very much needed experience.

So I'm still cautiously optimistic that we have a fighting chance. Let's see how we play the US.

Ghana was very good btw. If they would have won, it would not have been undeserved.

skullneck
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by skullneck » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:52 pm

TomViolenz wrote: There are tougher opponents to come than Ghana, and this is no way to win a tournament.
Is it Ghana? or Kenya? or Nigeria?

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:11 pm

skullneck wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: There are tougher opponents to come than Ghana, and this is no way to win a tournament.
Is it Ghana? or Kenya? or Nigeria?
:wink:

eyeknow
Posts: 5822
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:16 am

Re: FIFA World Cup

Post by eyeknow » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Usa looking as expected :lol:


Post Reply