podcasts, streaming radio

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

podcasts, streaming radio

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:26 pm

So I have unlimited data and the ability to listen to streaming media all day if I want.
are there any decent podcasts. Also, favorite streaming radio stations.

beats me

Re: podcasts, streaming radio

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Podcasts

WTF? Marc Maron interviews, well, started out with standup comedians but over the years he’s pretty much interviewed all of them so now he also interviews actors, musicians, directors, and writers. The interviews usually cover the interviewees upbringing up to how they got into whatever their creative career is.

Comedy Film Nerds. Sort of a misnomer because they cover all movie types but they just crack jokes through it. A good rundown on current movies in the theater or being released on DVD/digital download. They try not to give any spoilers, just opinions on if the movie is worth seeing or what type people would like it. They are also currently filming the movie Ear Buds where they are traveling the world discussing the impact of podcasts on those who make them and those who listen to them.

Walking the Room. 2 comedian/actor/writers who live in LA and bitch about LA/LA types, idiots, and the entertainment industry. Acquired taste, maybe.

Real Time. The audio recording of HBO’s Real Time. I actually like listening to it more than watching it. You don't need to have HBO to subscribe to it.

Those are my staples.

steko

Post by steko » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Machines, you're more the industrial / hardcore guy, eh?
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:11 pm

steko wrote:Machines, you're more the industrial / hardcore guy, eh?
mostly, but I've been trying to find podcasts of experts talking about a subject for instance, and it's mostly people who know less about a subject than I do.

Music wise I'm open to most music, but I find most radio stations in general suck, so I put classical on in my car etc. open to any suggestions, as long as you feel the rotation more decent songs than annoying.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Try the Stuff You Should Know podcast if it is knowledge that you seek.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:59 am

I created an iTunes station based off of Nightmares On Wax. It's brought me more cool tracks and given iTunes more money than I care to admit.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:09 pm

H20nly wrote:I created an iTunes station based off of Nightmares On Wax. It's brought me more cool tracks and given iTunes more money than I care to admit.
So you’re that one guy that uses iTunes Radio. 8O :x

I still prefer Pandora because iTunes only plays songs available on iTunes. 95% of the music on Pandora is available on iTunes but there are some gems in the missing 5%. Plus Pandora plays the same 30 songs in a playlist instead of same 20 on iTunes. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 pm

beats me wrote:So you’re that one guy that uses iTunes Radio. 8O :x
well iTunes radio decided it was cool to play me a mix of random music i purchased without me asking... after music i specifically played stops, i turn off the car, i get back in and begin to drive and don't turn on/choose more music... OR... i drive again, turn off car again (still with no music) and THEN get back in the car and it happens. in other words, it wasn't even consistent...

so, i decided if you can't beat it fuck it... and chose my own station because if i heard one more obscure track off of Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me by The Cure suddenly come on after i started my car... i was going to put on eye liner and slit my wrists while muttering incoherently about my ex girlfriend in traffic. clearly, that's a popular album with someone on the iTunes radio staff.

as far as iTunes radio vs. Pandora... since i get like 5/3 less commercial interruptions and the few that do come on are so short, plus i never have to click the little fucking X on the floating add anymore... i kind of decided... FUCK Pandora.
*shrugs*

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:26 am

Thanks for all the input. I'm pulling 8-10 hour days, mostly 7 days a week here in San Mateo CA, so streaming content is sorely needed.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:36 am

Machinesworking wrote:Thanks for all the input. I'm pulling 8-10 hour days, mostly 7 days a week here in San Mateo CA, so streaming content is sorely needed.
8O

How long you going to be in the Bay Area? Between you, me, and H2 surely somebody owes somebody a beat down and it might be time to collect!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:20 pm

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:51 am

:lol: Nah, you guys are OK, I'm here until the 11th, thinking about taking some time off this weekend, since I don't want to go insane.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:23 am

I like listening to the current from Minnesota public radio. Wide variety of the latest and classics commercial free.

In a set you might hear Peter Tosh, Franz Ferdinand, Elbow, Prince, and Jack White. Sometimes they do themed sets.

Check out the playlist history to see if it works for you: http://www.thecurrent.org/

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:54 am

Machinesworking wrote::lol: Nah, you guys are OK, I'm here until the 11th, thinking about taking some time off this weekend, since I don't want to go insane.

Those hours you are working make you a slacker here. My 40-45 hours a week job is what we call a part time job and I should probably be at least looking for a second supplementary job.

Do you have transportation? Other than the complimentary visitor Segway?