Ableton on iOS or Android

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
agarrett

Ableton on iOS or Android

Post by agarrett » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:54 am

Just a quick question, I think I know what the answer will be! I am looking at getting a tablet either android or iOS. my phone supplier dont do windows so cant potentially cut a deal with them there unfortunately.

I know I can use my tablet if I were to get one as a controller, but I was wondering if I can actually install and use Ableton on the tablet? I'm guessing it would be a no due to resources, I'd be either looking at ipad air, galaxy tab 3 or Sony Xperia Z2.

My laptop is getting to the point of needing replacing and I'm on limited funds at the moment, so this would be a cheap temporary fix. Obviously if it cant be used on a tablet I will have to take time to save for a laptop or desktop to use ableton and survive with my current laptop and hope it doesn't die anytime soon!

beats me

Re: Ableton on iOS or Android

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:45 am

The short answer: No

The long answer: Ableton Live can't be installed or used on an Android or iOS device.

:x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:35 pm

I just spit out my coffee, cruel but funny.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:59 pm

:P

The answer would have been far crueler if they posted this in the Music and Audio Production forum. 13 pages of longwinded theoretics that doesn’t change the fact that no you can’t.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Not yet!
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

8ball

Post by 8ball » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Microsoft Windows device can.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:50 pm

No Ableton. But

If you plan to do anything musical, your best bet is the iPad Air. The others are almost useless for music.

thundaroll

Post by thundaroll » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:57 pm

8ball wrote:Microsoft Windows device can.
with asio4all and ableton on the surface pro its running good not great but good enough

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:28 pm

8ball wrote:Microsoft Windows device can.
THIS
thundaroll wrote:with asio4all and ableton on the surface pro its running good not great but good enough
THIS
agarrett wrote: my phone supplier dont do windows so cant potentially cut a deal with them there unfortunately.
OH
agarrett wrote:My laptop is getting to the point of needing replacing and I'm on limited funds at the moment, so this would be a cheap temporary fix.
WELL, SHIT

Let he who not reads posts cast the first kneejerk response.

:x

8ball

Post by 8ball » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Typical response from an Apple fanboy. Mad because Microsoft can do what Apple can't. Go cry into your iPad cleaning cloth.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Wait, are you calling me an apple fanboy? Did you see his options? Do you have any idea what an iPad is capable of for music?

Edit: I know how expensive portable win pro devices can be. And they usually use the U processors, which are great, but I mean, comparable standard laptops have better 'value'. I have a touch screen laptop with Live, I know all the ins and outs of that situation. I also know that the Yoga2Pro and Surface Pro 3 are two solid options, yet both are expensive as fuck.

I'm basically explaining that if he can't install Live on those devices, he should go with the only one that actually supports a strong variety of practical musical application.

8ball

Post by 8ball » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Do I know what an iPad is capable of? Yes. I invested over $300 worth of iOs music apps. That's not the issue here. The fact that people come out, not even owning competitors products, and saying they are not capable of creating music is so dumb. Fanboy dumb.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:57 pm

I said 'almost' useless. I mean, there is Caustic I guess.

A person trying to use those devices will be very frustrated with their limited options. And the limited interaction between music apps. I would hate for someone to experience that underwhelmment. That'd be like suggesting a person try their first burger at mcdonalds.

8ball

Post by 8ball » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Bottom line: Microsoft tablet will run Ableton. Case closed.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:22 pm

8ball wrote:Bottom line: Microsoft tablet will run Ableton. Case closed.

The OP defined a bottom line that is lower than yours. They don’t have a Microsoft connection and they don’t have the money to spend on a quality Windows tablet. Your case is moot.

And as an Apple fanboy I said there is actually something you can’t do on an Apple product.