I'm so sick of SF I could scream!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
eyeknow

Re: I'm so sick of SF I could scream!

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:58 pm

shadx312 wrote:I remember seeing that in theaters too :P 'Where are the wessels, you know where to find wessels?'
NUCLEAR wessels :roll:

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:22 am

JuanSOLO wrote:Over the past year or so, 6000 people a month have moved to Austin, so now it's full of douchbags.
Hot as balls too.

I would love to live in NOLA, it's hot, but it's crazy fun, the people there just have a different thing about them.

Ashville is one of my favorite places too.
Austin was at the top of my list but not after reading this. I'm hoping SF has a nice shake mainly in the Marina and sends home some of the Frat boys and Sorrority bitches.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:56 am

Portland

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:47 am

Tarekith wrote:Seattle or Portland.

SF still baffles me, I've never felt so lost (in terms of not seeing the appeal) in any other city.
The architecture. Go walk around Capital Hill and realize how much Seattle is completely without any sense of history or even concern for the other buildings around when some douche builds his next apartment complex ode to the ego. Granted if you don't like Victorians or stucco spanish design then you're not going to like it, but SF to most people is a really great looking city.

Plus I hate saying this, but it was a real city in the vein of Chicago, New York etc. but with an Amsterdam feel 20 years ago before it became too expensive for anything but well paid professionals to live in. Seattle is what SF was 20 years ago, a mish mash of all the "classes" and still cheap enough for the arts to thrive.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:56 am

Weather wise Seattle and Portland are more extreme. SF although it fluctuates between 50 and 70 degrees, doesn't have the sort of rain, heat or ice that Portland and Seattle have. Seattle has a lot more 40 degree days and Portland freezes a lot in the winter.

Granted, compared to most other places all three cities are temperate.

I've lived in all three cities and all are pretty cool. More PC nazis in SF and Portland, more passive aggressive behavior in Seattle, more rednecks and hippies in and near Portland. More clueless tech worker middle class acting geeks, plus hipsters in SF and Seattle.
Seattle still has the advantage cost of living, wages wise, but we might secede that to Portland as rents rise.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:16 am

I've noticed that portland is pretty extreme. Seems like they hit the 100 spot quite often and are c c c COLD in the winter. Of course with global warming, that will change to c cold in the winter.

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:14 pm

having lived in seattle (well, 1 hour south in olympia, actually), i will say you need pretty thick skin to deal with the winters. not because its cold, but because it rains for 9 months and is super dark for 6. its farther north than maine. i remember not seeing the sun for over a month. if you work a 9-5, you go to work before the sun comes up and its dark again by 4.

if you're a vampire or are of icelandic decent, its fine. but it gets pretty depressing otherwise. at least the house i lived in had a huge salt water fish/coral tank, so we could get full some full-spectrum light during the winter months.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:00 pm

^ :lol:

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:41 am

memes_33 wrote:having lived in seattle (well, 1 hour south in olympia, actually), i will say you need pretty thick skin to deal with the winters. not because its cold, but because it rains for 9 months and is super dark for 6. its farther north than maine. i remember not seeing the sun for over a month. if you work a 9-5, you go to work before the sun comes up and its dark again by 4.

if you're a vampire or are of icelandic decent, its fine. but it gets pretty depressing otherwise.
Sounds wonderful.

Sunlight depresses me. :cry:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:35 pm

Dude, I am the same way except I wouldn't say it depresses me, just annoys. I get giddy if it's supposed to get cloudy but then if it doesn't I get a little disappointed. It's kind of sad how much people are pussies when it comes to a little rain, also. The world would be a better place if everyone was an Icelandic vampire.
ImageImage

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:18 pm

Ditto, this long summer run of 80s and sunny days drives me batty after awhile too. Give me 60s and cloudy any day of the week, I'm far more creative.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:19 pm

Nothin' like brisk cool air to make everyone's turkeys done.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:26 pm

I’m a lot more productive when the sun goes down earlier. Sunlight makes me feel like I should be doing outdoor activities but I’m not an outdoor activity guy. So I just don’t do much of anything productive until the sun goes down…which is also bedtime during the workweek. :x

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:17 pm

I hate the sun and the warmth. It's a 110 today. It's been "summer" since February. I wish it would ran for 3 months.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:37 pm

Actually the Bay Area weather is one of the reasons I stay..
I love going to get a coffee on a chilly afternoon.
After thinking about it I'll probably stay. I have a painting business here and it's starting to grow. If I move I'll go back to being a painter making 20 bucks an hour working for someone who brings me down. At least here I don't really do much labor only a couple estimates a day and getting materials for my guys.
I don't know... Life was so much better when I was young. No worries.. Just drugs.