The music album - does it still have its place?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
eyeknow

Re: The music album - does it still have its place?

Post by eyeknow » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:59 am

I haven't bought anything in years. I'm almost 50, so it's not the "young" only. I don't think much is produced that it's worth it for my current situation. Also, if it's any good, it will be live on palladia and I'd rather watch it than "hear" it on a CD.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:16 am

eyeknow wrote:Also, if it's any good, it will be live on palladia and I'd rather watch it than "hear" it on a CD.
Hmm... That's an interesting perspective; as far as the music is concerned, I've always considered the studio version the "proper" one, ie. the perfected version and the closest you can get to the artist's musical vision. The performed version has to be about more than the music, whether it be wicked lightshows, controllerism, piano chops or just seeing a great show. If the music is not enough on its own, I wouldn't bother with the rest.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:43 pm

To add, the visual of them actually performing is more of a turn on then just having the CD. It's just me.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:25 am

eyeknow wrote:To add, the visual of them actually performing is more of a turn on then just having the CD. It's just me.
I have just been to an Ambient festival with a lot of established artists in that area.
If performing nowadays means standing high up on some stage half hidden behind a big table and your hands covered by laptop screens doing who knows what (honestly, it was hard to tell, but some didn't even seem to be using Midi controllers, just mouse or track pad!) while managing to not even look towards the audience once during the whole show. Yeah, I think sitting at home in a nice compfy chair with my cans on would have been a much more enjoyable experience.... :x

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:16 pm

The interesting thing about an album though is that being a very specific, time invested, rendition meant for duplication, it can somewhat be the 'decorated' version of the skeleton of a person's original piece. What IS the artist's original intent? I guess it depends on their primary musical passion.

Some musicians are sound designers, others are performers. A performer's album version probably is not the way some of their tracks are 'meant' to be heard.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:38 pm

It's just a thought that popped into my mind but aren't most people listening to music when it's convenient? Like, the gym, train, plane, car, etc? How many people actually "listen" to music anymore. They listen to the first 10 seconds and then start texting.

I admit, I don't really feel like listening to music much anymore. My lifestyle doesn't really say "oh, I'm going to relax with some tunes for the next hour"

Besides, I'd rather make my own garbage most of the time :lol:

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:42 pm

I only buy albums, and always listen to whole albums, or sometimes eps... I can't stand single tracks on my hd.