NI Komplete 10

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

NI Komplete 10

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:01 am

So yeah I'm supposed to be doing bids on projects tonight, so instead I noticed the lack of threads here about the upcoming Komplete 10.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/sp ... ntent=2769

Geerslutz thread about it with photos.
Tried linking the photos, but the uploader seems to have questionable tastes, and you can see his other uploads. :?
They're offering a keyboard now.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... omplete+10

Machinesworking

Re: NI Komplete 10

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:06 am

I like it actually, I never got into Automap, and the Novation SL mostly I use only 8 knobs on…

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:52 am

I have it. I've loved NI stuff over the years, but this latest Komplete incarnation is the epitome of colossal bloatware. I have a decent current laptop with all of the best appointments and it groans when I launch Komplete. Reminds me of a super-collider control panel built with vacuum tubes. :|

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:14 am

Hmm exact opposite for me, NI kit used to blow. Used to barely be able to run Reaktor etc.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:05 am

This is one update I'll be missing on (pocketbook says THANKS!)

It's totally and ........ wait for it........ kompletely not interesting :lol:

But I love having K9 8)

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:48 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Hmm exact opposite for me, NI kit used to blow. Used to barely be able to run Reaktor etc.
Imo, NI seemingly positioned their offerings to appeal to the DJ/scratcher/sample-diddler crowd in recent years, and a lot of what's in that Komplete behemoth simply isn't stuff I'd personally ever need or use. Aside from that, I don't have the spare requisite 4-5 hours to install the gargantuan footprint of that mofo. Kontakt is still the ace sampler on the planet and I use it heavily, but a standalone edition suffices for me. Guitar Rig showed promise for awhile but continuously gets outshined by Waves Gtr & Amplitube. Truthfully, except for some of my favorite Kontakt libraries - mainly orchestral instruments, I do all of my DAW stuff using a Waves Suite with Presonus/Reaper. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:16 am

Styles Bitchly wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Hmm exact opposite for me, NI kit used to blow. Used to barely be able to run Reaktor etc.
Imo, NI seemingly positioned their offerings to appeal to the DJ/scratcher/sample-diddler crowd in recent years, and a lot of what's in that Komplete behemoth simply isn't stuff I'd personally ever need or use. Aside from that, I don't have the spare requisite 4-5 hours to install the gargantuan footprint of that mofo. Kontakt is still the ace sampler on the planet and I use it heavily, but a standalone edition suffices for me. Guitar Rig showed promise for awhile but continuously gets outshined by Waves Gtr & Amplitube. Truthfully, except for some of my favorite Kontakt libraries - mainly orchestral instruments, I do all of my DAW stuff using a Waves Suite with Presonus/Reaper. :)
Can't disagree there. I have Rig Kontrol, that and the GUI IMO are the only advantage Guitar Rig has over Amplitube, I only have Metal, but it's Amps and Distortions are better for sure.

Kontakt and Absynth remain the main things I use in Komplete. Even with Kontakt I'm more likely to use Machfive 3, and Absynth is being outshined by Alchemy, Z3ta+ 2, Zebra and Synthix.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:41 am

Machinesworking wrote: Absynth is being outshined by Alchemy, Z3ta+ 2, Zebra and Synthix.
Really?!
Do you mean all of them combined outshine it, or each on its own?
And in what aspects?

I'd agree that the UI is something one has to get really used to. Zebra is certainly better in that regard and Alchemy is good too.
(I don't know the others)
But just the idea that I can load any waveform to be either an oscillator or one of the many different envelopes, is unrivaled IMO.
The routing matrix is great too (but so is Zebras, agreed)

My biggest beef with it is that everything is done via mousing around. There is no sensible way to use it with Push in the sound design phase. Oh and it can be quite heavy on the CPU.

But I think for people, who know what they are doing with it (not necessarily me ;-)), I think it remains unrivaled for the sheer complexity of the sounds you can make.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Mostly I've use Absynth for years now, owned it since v1.5. The main area where it's being skunked by the others is in the filters.
Plus although the FX are brilliant and unique, they haven't added much to them in a while.

I just recently picked up Z3ta+ and Synthix, and Alchemy loads your own waves with a lot more options afterwards in terms of how that wave is used. Nothing comes close to Absynth's envelopes, thats' for sure.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Touch sliders?
They should have just made the keys a touch screen in that case.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:09 am

Machinesworking wrote:Mostly I've use Absynth for years now, owned it since v1.5. The main area where it's being skunked by the others is in the filters.
Plus although the FX are brilliant and unique, they haven't added much to them in a while.

I just recently picked up Z3ta+ and Synthix, and Alchemy loads your own waves with a lot more options afterwards in terms of how that wave is used. Nothing comes close to Absynth's envelopes, thats' for sure.
Yeah for me it's the super powerful envelopes that set it appart.
But I wasn't aware that you can also use your own waves as envelopes in Alchemy, I thought they could only be used as oscilators. Too bad I have already sold it again, otherwise I'd try that out right now :|

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:54 pm

All confirmed today and I'm bored.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:52 pm

Yeah, but you need a computer.
Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:17 am

TomViolenz wrote: But I wasn't aware that you can also use your own waves as envelopes in Alchemy, I thought they could only be used as oscilators. Too bad I have already sold it again, otherwise I'd try that out right now :|
?? Where did you hear that??

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:48 am

Machinesworking wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: But I wasn't aware that you can also use your own waves as envelopes in Alchemy, I thought they could only be used as oscilators. Too bad I have already sold it again, otherwise I'd try that out right now :|
?? Where did you hear that??
I thought that's what your post implied. So they can't be used as envelopes?! Nevermind then.