Apple Watch justification thread

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
yur2die4

Re: Apple Watch justification thread

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:55 pm

The only reason why I say fashion accessory is because of the most basic concept of a watch. It tells time, but for ages we've made it decorative and fashionable.

What about phones? They've been a communication utility and always very handy for conducting business and keeping in touch with others. It has a speaker and a microphone, meant to be temporarily out to the side of your head.

In their most basic forms, they pretty much are these things. I'm not saying it won't be groundbreaking. But I'm going to wait a bit to see it being exploited, to see of apple genuinely Will make it more than another calculator-watch. It is an easy sell for fashion, but a hard sell for utility.

Will people hop into their cars leaving their phone at home, head to work and communicate via their watch, streaming pandora off it through the Bluetooth on their car stereo?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:46 pm

beats me wrote:
eyeknow wrote:Oh, it's going to sell. The question is: other than being a hipster with a new toy, what will it actually do for you?

This bit made me realize that “hipster” is becoming like “Hitler”. As soon as you insert it into an argument it seriously degrades whatever point(s) you might be trying to make.

I will be monitoring my own similar behavior, unless it’s a subject I really don’t give a shit about. :x
Sorry dude, I was just joking around.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:22 am

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:26 am

This must piss them off so much -> http://www.applewatch.com
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:03 pm

are we forgetting that this watch isn't waterproof?
a watch feature that was invented in 1926 ffs!

AND you can't wear it all day... unless of course you like having it on with the battery dead... which, in many ways, could make no difference because it brings nothing new to the table other than a shortcut to the list of texters on the device in your pocket.

ffs! :x

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:26 pm

Didn't they say the speaker was waterproof when they announced it? Maybe they meant the actual presenter was waterproof - a reassurance, perhaps, as there is a precedent of aquaphobic Mac expo presenters turning into incoherent, blubbering wrecks when faced with the threat of getting wet.