What game are you playing now

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Ousy

Re: What game are you playing now

Post by Ousy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:13 am

I'm playing Ni No Kuni. It was made in collaboration with Studio Ghibli and the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. It is officially my second favorite game!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:32 pm

Anyone playing No Man's Sky?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:25 pm

I’m also curious to see if it lives up to the near constant years of hype. I got used to Apple’s solid announcements so I find the gaming world’s PR irritating with their “Here’s some screen shots or 30 seconds of alpha gameplay. It will be released 2 – 3 years from now with a minimum of two release date delays and the release will still be buggy. How could we know when we are developing for 1 hardware configuration?” :?

Looks like average 5/10. Sounds like a game you would only mostly enjoy if you are stoned. :?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:03 pm

Not sure I understand the point yet, but it does look nice. Seems like a lot of inventory management though, and even in RPGs I find that cumbersome these days. They need to combine Mass Effect and No Man's Sky, now that would be interesting!
Tarekith

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:46 pm

Sounds like it gets repetitive after about 3 or 4 hours, but there are also a lot of “I only like games of a certain style and all games that aren’t that are SHIT!” zero value added reviews, not the least of which is “No online multi-player. WTF?!?!?”

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:31 pm

Tarekith wrote:Anyone playing No Man's Sky?
Pre-ordered it but haven't had a chance to play yet.

Reviews are all in-progess at this point because such an open-ended experience is going to be inherently hard to review quickly and because they didn't send out review copies until yesterday I believe. The fact that no one game could possibly be identical is going to make for an interesting tapestry of different reviews I think.

So far the ones I've read seem to indicate that it may be a while before there's anything close to a consensus on it. Or it might not be. It could very well turn out to be an elaborate tech demo.

I may not get a chance to play until later this week but I will post some thoughts once I have.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Got a few hours to play NMS last night.

First impressions are that if you are into open world games then the scope of this thing might make you giddy.

Being able to walk around on an entire planet and then jump in a ship and fly to another planet in the solar system, land, and then walk around that planet is indeed an impressive technical feat.

I'm also surprised at just how polished the game is for being what it is. If you're not up on NMS the list is that it is a complete galaxy full of around 18 quintillion stars each with their own varying number of planets and moons. The entire thing is procedurally generated right down to the types of rocks and plants you'll find on a planet. It's also impressive because this is an indie game and the development team was only about ten people.

So what's there to do? Well it's very open-ended, much like Minecraft in that you're free to do whatever you want, but it definitely has a survival aspect to it. You're managing resources for your ship and your spacesuit through resource gathering and trading.

Other than the free roam style there are two other "paths" you can take: one is to get to the center of the galaxy, which has been touted as sort of the "campaign" of the game; the other is to follow signals that lead you to things called Atlas stations. I've been doing the Atlas path and it seems like it's a quest-like way to work towards maxing out your gear and ship, although there sort of an interesting mysteriousness to this path where you're being led by some unknown force.

Anyway, I've had a lot of fun so far. If I weren't following one of those more predefined paths I'm not sure what the point would be beyond exploration and slow Minecraft-like grinding, but the process of heading along a path introduces some good gameplay loops.

Technically, it seems that they pulled off exactly what they said they would. Now it will just take some time to see how deep they really made the game and if it can sustain the fun.

Just wish I had more time to play it. :x
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:38 pm

stringtapper wrote:Just wish I had more time to play it. :x
:x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:28 pm

H20nly wrote:
stringtapper wrote:Just wish I had more time to play it. :x
:x
Well now I don't wish that.

NMS is a survival game at it's core, so that familiar OCD grind of mining materials is at the core of the gameplay (a la Minecraft). I can't play games like this because my ADD brain will not allow me to stop. So I'm not playing any more than the few hours I've already put in.

That said, the verdict on NMS is that it is indeed a proof of concept for some really amazing tech… wrapped around a pretty mediocre survival game. It's no wonder really, what with such a small dev team.

The dev's claim they are working on updates that would fix issues and introduce some new features so I might revisit it after that to see how it is.

Bottom line: certain parts of the experience are absolutely awe-inspiring, but it's not really worth $60 at this point. If you're only mildly interested then I would advise waiting until it goes on sale at some point in a few months (and when updates might make it a very different game).
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Thanks, saves me some cash.
Tarekith

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:38 am

It's getting more interesting that Windows user with a basic specifications are now able to play Uncharted, GOW, TLOU, etc via PS Now. So, buying a cheap i3 laptop is like buying a PS Now console :) They even do Humble Bundle too now.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:03 am

I caved finally and bought Fallout4. Still haven't hit that "aha" moment that makes it feel radically better than FO3 or NV, but will definitely be keeping me busy while the wife is out of town for a couple weeks. The PipBoy app for iPad is nice too, definitely saves me time when it comes to seeing where I am on the map or checking my inventory.
Tarekith

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:28 pm

crystalmsc wrote:It's getting more interesting that Windows user with a basic specifications are now able to play Uncharted, GOW, TLOU, etc via PS Now. So, buying a cheap i3 laptop is like buying a PS Now console :) They even do Humble Bundle too now.

They can't even get Playstation Now to play reliably on a PS4. I don't know what gives them the balls to open the network to even more platforms. Shit, you can't even watch a game trailer on their network without constant buffering.

Mortal Kombat XL dropped below $40 so I bit. Just got it so have yet to play. You are welcome with that useful information.

Also replaced my 5-year-old 2500 lumens 720p projector with a new 3200 lumens 1080p projector. Huge difference in crispness and brightness to the point that I don’t even have to close the blinds during the day. Epic gaming. :)

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:46 pm

The projector stuff sounds great, I bet that you also installed a decent home theater system.

Yes, it's a bold move anticipating the Xbox games on Win 10, let's see the progress on both.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:10 pm

crystalmsc wrote:The projector stuff sounds great, I bet that you also installed a decent home theater system.
Yeah, it’s pretty great. Full wall gaming. I also have it hooked up to a cable box, Mac Mini, and Apple TV. Didn’t use it that much with the old projector because it was annoyingly dim but now I use it all the time. :)

I have it hooked up to a solid Yamaha receiver that can handle 7 speakers but I only have 5 hooked up. Because I live in an apartment I was also thoughtful enough to get a woofer that I can turn all the way down to zero with a knob.

I still need to try it hooked up to my Subpac with headphones. Concert size low end with no leaking to the neighbors. 8O