Today’s police show restraint

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: Today’s police show restraint

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 pm

America and Germany will not get real change until people are suffering. The problem is simple really, if we exploit other countries and keep a certain standard of living at home we will never have real protesting or fear among the ruling elite, and without that nothing changes. South America is changing because it used to really suck there, same with almost everywhere there is turmoil. Our economic stability prevents real change.

On topic, it's not like cops haven't shot whites or indians or hispanics etc. in the USA, it's just that other races don't tend to defend their own like the black community does. The upshot is that if they draw enough attention to their plight the rest of us also have less of a chance of being shot by the police. Every white guy and hispanic etc. beaten up by LA cops was probably somewhat happy when LA cops after the Rodney King riots calmed down a bit. The trickle down theory of police violence, Reagan would be proud! :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:28 am

Machinesworking wrote:America and Germany will not get real change until people are suffering. The problem is simple really, if we exploit other countries and keep a certain standard of living at home we will never have real protesting or fear among the ruling elite, and without that nothing changes. South America is changing because it used to really suck there, same with almost everywhere there is turmoil. Our economic stability prevents real change.
That's pretty much my take on it too.

Too bad that when that time comes it will be ever sooooo much harder to turn back the clocks :(

And as we can also see in the world, when that change already needs armed uprising to be effected, the result is less than certain to lead to a good outcome.

In revolutions usually the people who are good at violence and the people, who are good at leading/manipulating them take over power from the elites.

These people are rarely democrats....

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:31 pm

Machinesworking wrote:America and Germany will not get real change until people are suffering. The problem is simple really, if we exploit other countries and keep a certain standard of living at home we will never have real protesting or fear among the ruling elite, and without that nothing changes. South America is changing because it used to really suck there, same with almost everywhere there is turmoil. Our economic stability prevents real change.

On topic, it's not like cops haven't shot whites or indians or hispanics etc. in the USA, it's just that other races don't tend to defend their own like the black community does. The upshot is that if they draw enough attention to their plight the rest of us also have less of a chance of being shot by the police. Every white guy and hispanic etc. beaten up by LA cops was probably somewhat happy when LA cops after the Rodney King riots calmed down a bit. The trickle down theory of police violence, Reagan would be proud! :x

not in places like ferguson, where basically it's a miniature apartheid police rule going on, I don't think the same amount of white people are getting beat up in those kinds of places. or maybe that's just a my knee-jerk reaction to your liberal leanings MW. :mrgreen:

the answer to all of our woes is equality, take all of the money away from those commie liberal welfare moochers suckin on the public tit, and also take away all of those 1% welfare corporate moochers suckin on the other public tit and all will be fine and dandy in wonderland.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:12 pm

starving student wrote: not in places like ferguson, where basically it's a miniature apartheid police rule going on, I don't think the same amount of white people are getting beat up in those kinds of places. or maybe that's just a my knee-jerk reaction to your liberal leanings MW.
Cops are violent towards all races, it's a numbers game. Though they're more violent towards races they personally are not, so something like 50% of shootings of people by cops are black people whereas cops are mostly white. It's an interesting phenomena, as it's not IMO for the most part a full on racist cop whose doing the shooting, but a cop whose maybe just more afraid of blacks in that 'fear of the unknown' way. What in other cases would be a benign type of prejudice based on lack of experience/interaction with blacks becomes deadly.

It's an example of the same cultural phenomena that happens with capital punishment, blacks are targeted far more for the death penalty because juries give stiffer sentences to the 'unknown'. If you are from out of town, a drifter, in the South, a stranger in those parts and on top of that black, you're getting the death penalty. This was the original reason that the Supreme Court outlawed it in the 70's and it's a sick joke that they reinstated it because nothing has changed. In similar cases, if any of the above applied you were more likely to get the death penalty.

The sick part is cops deem it their 'right' to defend themselves, and it clouds the issue of cop violence. Brown wasn't even close to the worst case last year, there was a mentally handicapped person who was shot dead, in the face, that guy in New York who they killed over nothing etc.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:16 am

Right, Reagan is to blame for police brutality. Wow.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:05 pm

eyeknow wrote:Right, Reagan is to blame for police brutality. Wow.
Read,
Understand,
Commment.

-not-

Read partially,
Jump to conclusions,
open mouth insert foot.

One of these days maybe you'll figure that out.
Now go back and read what I actually wrote and tell me I'm saying Reagan has anything at all to do with police violence?
If you have any rational thinking skills at all you will have to admit you cannot.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
eyeknow wrote:Right, Reagan is to blame for police brutality. Wow.
Read,
Understand,
Commment.

-not-

Read partially,
Jump to conclusions,
open mouth insert foot.

One of these days maybe you'll figure that out.
Now go back and read what I actually wrote and tell me I'm saying Reagan has anything at all to do with police violence?
If you have any rational thinking skills at all you will have to admit you cannot.
He'll rather help you pack, when you undoubtedly will join ISIS :roll:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:42 pm

If ya ain't with us then yaz aginst us!

ImageImage

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:01 am

Nonsense. But hey, suit yourselves.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 am

Machinesworking wrote:
starving student wrote: not in places like ferguson, where basically it's a miniature apartheid police rule going on, I don't think the same amount of white people are getting beat up in those kinds of places. or maybe that's just a my knee-jerk reaction to your liberal leanings MW.
Cops are violent towards all races, it's a numbers game. Though they're more violent towards races they personally are not, so something like 50% of shootings of people by cops are black people whereas cops are mostly white. It's an interesting phenomena, as it's not IMO for the most part a full on racist cop whose doing the shooting, but a cop whose maybe just more afraid of blacks in that 'fear of the unknown' way. What in other cases would be a benign type of prejudice based on lack of experience/interaction with blacks becomes deadly.

It's an example of the same cultural phenomena that happens with capital punishment, blacks are targeted far more for the death penalty because juries give stiffer sentences to the 'unknown'. If you are from out of town, a drifter, in the South, a stranger in those parts and on top of that black, you're getting the death penalty. This was the original reason that the Supreme Court outlawed it in the 70's and it's a sick joke that they reinstated it because nothing has changed. In similar cases, if any of the above applied you were more likely to get the death penalty.

The sick part is cops deem it their 'right' to defend themselves, and it clouds the issue of cop violence. Brown wasn't even close to the worst case last year, there was a mentally handicapped person who was shot dead, in the face, that guy in New York who they killed over nothing etc.
the math definitely doesn't lie, and that's from everything from the death penalty down to doing time for good ole' maryjane …
to be fair you did just describe racism in law enforcement without using the word racist or by putting the word benign in front of it, but if someone dies because of it I would probably not call it benign and as it turns out to be the worst when it's institutionalized. If you're neighbor doesn't like watching captain kirk kissing uhura 's black lips then that's one thing and because it's his business I would call that benign but if he goes to work the next day and takes that hatred with him then that's a different story. He could be a cop, a judge, a real-estate agent, apt manager, doctor, politician etc…. and it all becomes quite serious.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Maybe if we segregated people (or they segregated themselves) by planet instead of neighborhoods then things would make a lot more sense. People on high crime planets would be treated with more initial suspicion. People who govern and police the planet would also have to live on the planet. We can also discuss how difficult it is to move to another planet.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:52 pm

I'll be the first one bold enough to put it out there that there will be some challenges to that.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:58 pm

No doubt, but then it would make a lot more sense because we’re literally talking about people from another planet. No metaphors needed or thinking a life (planet) change is really simple with a little focus and determination.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:19 pm

My magic 8 ball says that moons will be reserved for section 8, so that cuts down on the complication by, as my Grandmother likes to call it, 'a smidge'.

But I think we can all agree that Io is the place for our favorite bodega and hole in the wall.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:20 pm

I would def. rather live on the HighCrime than on the Think of the Children planet!!! :twisted: