Let's talk about hair loss

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
john gordon

Let's talk about hair loss

Post by john gordon » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:51 pm

Sore subject but it's happening to me big time. I've tried rogaine for 6 months but no luck. I guess I'll shave it off or possibly get a hair transplant while I'm in Thailand. I hear it's fairly cheap over there with some great doctors..sucks getting old.

TomViolenz

Re: Let's talk about hair loss

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Just deal with it with dignity, women don't mind nearly as much as guys think they do.

Just don't do the comb-over :lol: :lol: :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:12 pm

^^^ Says the man from the land of high cheekbones. It really does depend on your jawline whether you can pull off bald.

On the other hand, after 40 you should be relying on other things besides your looks for your sense of well being because it's not going to get better.
It's not like you're 16 in the awkward phase hoping that 25 will grow on you. :lol:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Machinesworking wrote:^^^ Says the man from the land of high cheekbones. It really does depend on your jawline whether you can pull off bald.
:lol:
Are we?! 8O
I wasn't aware of that.

Anyways, I too got the corners and the spot already and have not felt any change in the looks I do/don't get.

But then I've always been more the nerd than the jock...

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:03 pm

I've had a fairly high forehead all my life and some other kids used to take the piss out of me at school for it. But now I'm 47 and my hairline hasn't receded one millimeter but plenty other people my age are bald as fuck so I'm laughing. It's pretty grey though but I like that. I currently haven't shaved for a month too which is a record for me so I got some hairy beard nonsense going on, it's itchy as fuck and I keep getting food and beer in it but I look like I never looked before so I'm sticking with it for now. Sometimes i shave my knackers for the boiled egg effect and at my age my nostril and ear hair need keeping under control too :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Wait, I thought all male electronic musicians were bald? :)

Bad genes (baldness comes from your mom's side) means I started losing my hair in my early 20's. I just said f it and shave it with the clippers once week since then. Kind of nice actually, cool in the summer, no more money on barbers, a shower means just a bar of soap, etc.

Stuff like this you have no control over, so no sense trying to waste a lot of money fighting it IMO.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:44 pm

My hairline has been slowly receding since I was in high school and I'm 38 now. I've gone in and out of periods shaving and growing it out mad scientist style. I was shaving my head when I still had a full head at certain points in my life. It's finally gotten to the point that I've been close shaving with a razor. I have a head that works for it though. I'm also growing a Billy Gibbons proportion beard at the moment, so that helps. (Steel-toed boots, tattoos, and a black pickup truck don't hurt either. :mrgreen: )

People give way too much of a shit about it anyway, and by "people" I mean men. Plenty of women don't care and lots actually prefer the shaved look.
Unsound Designer

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:10 am

45, started thinning in my 20's. I just shave my shit weekly, all good. I treat people with integrity, respect, kindness, and all that stuff....Women pick up on that. If I were not happily married, I would not have the slightest problem meeting someone.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:29 am

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:04 am

I see certain twerps have twerped.

I'm balding big time, I shave my head. It's fucking awful, but that is how it is.

People that don't have this issue should shut the fuck up because you didn't get help from god. You simply got lucky.

But then again, being a dick is what people that got lucky do best :roll:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:17 am

eyeknow wrote:I see certain twerps have twerped.

I'm balding big time, I shave my head. It's fucking awful, but that is how it is.

People that don't have this issue should shut the fuck up because you didn't get help from god. You simply got lucky.

But then again, being a dick is what people that got lucky do best :roll:
Right, because that's obviously what happened here :roll:

Did you even read the other posts before you lashed out?! Everyone posting so far has mentioned that he is affected. But I guess that victim corner you see yourself in is damn comfortable, isn't it?! :roll:

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:39 pm

64. Started thinning early but still have (some) hair...I call it the Paul Newman look :wink: You'll just have to trust me but as you age your hairline will be the least of your worries.
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:27 pm

I shave my head with one of those headblade things. I drive it across my head in the shower making brooom brooom car noises.
I think I've actually become more sexy since going bald, I know that seems impossible but the facts can't be denied. Perhaps it because my head now subliminally resembles a giant penis, with a face on it.

In other news, if you live in a cold place I suggest buying a wig instead of a hat. I have one called "boyband" which is a bleached feather cut, and I have another which looks like Richard D. James. For scaring children during the colder months.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:37 pm

I go to the barber once a month and tell them to give me the Jesse Pinkman.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Angstrom wrote:I shave my head with one of those headblade things. I drive it across my head in the shower making brooom brooom car noises.
I tried that thing for a while but I found using a regular razor was easier. Although I did do the shower thing with some success, so I might try again. You have to do it every day to do it that way though and I'm often rushing when showering.
Angstrom wrote:I think I've actually become more sexy since going bald, I know that seems impossible but the facts can't be denied.
Not surprising. I definitely get more looks now that I look like a white Isaac Hayes.
Unsound Designer