I'm moving to Luxembourg

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

I'm moving to Luxembourg

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:55 pm

It’s been months in the process, but it’s finally official: Inner Portal Studio is moving to Luxembourg! While my wife and I love Seattle, we both felt lately it was time for a temporary change, and luckily an opportunity like this presented itself at the right time.

The actual move date is still being worked on, but it’s tentatively going to happen around mid-January we think. I’m doing everything I can to minimize how long the studio will shutdown during the transition, so hopefully it won’t affect anyone’s upcoming projects. Luckily the beginning of the new year tends to be a little slower as people recover from the holidays anyway :)

I’ll keep everyone updated as I find out more, and I’ll be writing about what is going into moving a studio halfway around the world as well. First step, find a good step-down transformer so I can use all my gear on 220v!

In the meantime, anyone got any good advice about the music scene in Luxembourg? :)

beats me

Re: I'm moving to Luxembourg

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:01 pm

Is Amazon going to deliver you there by drone?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:05 pm

In a sense. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:17 pm

I'm curious about the choice of Luxembourg? It's ultra tiny, like 500K people? and a tax haven. Wild guess is one of you works for some tech company that has residence there? High standards of living don't hurt either.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:27 pm

My wife works for Amazon, their European headquarters are in Luxembourg.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:51 pm

I’m not too happy with your wife’s employer at the moment. They raised their Prime subscription rate, charged my card without warning (do you know when a once a year charge hits?), charged it to a card different from my primary card, and caused the first overdraft charge I’ve gotten in like a decade.

And I do believe they are evil enough to not send out warning emails in advance because they know plenty of people would see the increase, go “fuck that!”, and cancel before the charge is made.

So enjoy your temporary relocation move on the back of subscription rate hikes. Two less people causing the cost of living to go up in Seattle.

:x

Wow, that was over the top. Sorry about that. I don't know anybody else at Amazon. :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:54 pm

We're used to it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Tarekith wrote:My wife works for Amazon, their European headquarters are in Luxembourg.
Had a feeling after reading wiki. Totally worth doing IMO; since when do you think about moving to Luxembourg as an american?
I'm sure the entire country almost is ESL since there's something like three languages not unlike Switzerland. :)

Love the fact there's something like 4 or 5 'unincorporated' counties the size of small cities in Europe.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:05 pm

beats me wrote:They raised their Prime subscription rate, charged my card without warning (do you know when a once a year charge hits?)
Same thing happened to me. Would have been no big deal 99% of the time, but I had just had my rent payment ($2,200) auto-paid, and had just paid movers about $300 while I had just started a new job and hadn't been paid yet. I knew it was going to be tight but I had done the math before hand so I knew I was fine. NOPE.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:08 pm

On the Amazon note, I was on the union painting crew that did the headquarters here in the old veterans hospital.
They had these truly dangerous thin glass globes on a chain for ceiling lights in a good half the offices. I ended up being the one with stitches on my back after gently tapping one and it literally ringing, then shattering above my head. Needless to say they removed the rest of them. Sometimes designers make choices that have nothing to do with reality. :roll:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Totally worth doing IMO; since when do you think about moving to Luxembourg as an american?
I'm sure the entire country almost is ESL since there's something like three languages not unlike Switzerland. :)
We've known it was a possibility for about 6 months now, just took forever to get all the negotiations in place and to our liking. Hallie worked there for two months over the summer and then I visited for a couple weeks after that too. Most people speak French, followed by German, but they're required to learn English in school too so it wasn't too bad (except for all the signs are in French still).

We're only going for 2 years, it's not permament. I love Seattle, no way I want to leave all this incredible mountain biking and snowboarding behind for long either. It'll be a nice change of pace, definitely a different culture over there.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:32 pm

We're going to miss you not being in the same time zone to respond in a timely manner. :cry:

Or maybe you'll start doing whatever drugs the Europeans on here are taking to participate during US work hours. :)

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:47 pm

beats me wrote:We're going to miss you not being in the same time zone to respond in a timely manner. :cry:

Or maybe you'll start doing whatever drugs the Europeans on here are taking to participate during US work hours. :)
this.

and what is that drug anyway?

i've been meaning to ask Angstrom, re:dream, or Tom how they manage for a while now.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:56 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Sometimes designers make choices that have nothing to do with reality. :roll:
I'm a designer, fuck reality.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.