Dr. Dre school of music and technology

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
regretfullySaid

Re: Dr. Dre school of music and technology

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Seems like an expensive method to force yourself to meet like minded-people, frankly.

Not to mention the odds of meeting someone over 30 will likely be slim to none.
ImageImage

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:12 pm

seriously speaking beats, I think the question isn't if it's universally worth it but simply is it something you want to do. you only get one life and as you get older hopefully you'll realize more and more that every precious moment of it is just that. you should do what ever the fuck you want to do as long as it's not hurting anybody else. if you really want to go to dres school or any other school for that matter there is no way to even mathematically quantify the endless ways that it could affect you via your interactions with others and all of the little micro experiences you'd have that are too many to count, and whether you go or not is not as important as whether you want to go or not and then follow through with what you're being drawn to. the only criteria it has to conform to to be worth it is the fact that you want to do it and nothing else.

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:22 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:22 pm

Ok, so what he's doing is awesome and everyone should be thankful.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:24 pm

I’m not really defending this program as something I would actually do, but more just defending it in general between the barrage of rap jokes. As far as I know it’s the first of its kind and there certainly wasn’t anything like it back when I was in my 20’s in the 90’s. If I was in my 20’s now and a little more realistic than thinking I was going to become a rock star through social media then I might see it as a viable plan B. It would certainly beat getting a 160k business degree just so I can be an admin making 30k a year.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:00 pm

160k business degree
Double that.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:25 pm

beats me wrote: barrage of rap jokes
Well, it would be ok if it were about gays or george bush.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:34 pm

It's not the first of it's kind, he's hyping his business. I really don't think it's going to be that different from other schools like Full Sail or The Conservatory of Recording Arts in Tempe.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:43 pm

I really don't think it's going to be that different from other schools like Full Sail or The Conservatory of Recording Arts in Tempe
You shut your whore mouth... :x

Let's not forget USC has the highest ranked film school in the country (and for all intents and purposes, on earth, due to the westernization of pop culture and media.) so I have a feeling their musical counterpart is going to be a bit more robust than a tech school. I would sure hope so anyways.

I apologize for the snarkiness...
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:48 pm

I actually wasn't paying attention to whatever school it was linked to so I forgot about the USC part :lol:

these are the kinds of school that bank on kids dreams of being 'in the industry' knowing that only a few will get through and those are the same kinds of kids that would've gotten in on their own anyway.

Will you learn something? Sure, if you don't know about any of it, but if you're passionate about it then you'll learn most of it naturally anyway...

The most important thing I learned from school is that you don't need to go to school, you just need to start calling places looking to get your foot in the door doing anything.
at least when it comes to the entertainment industry.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:49 pm

I see the comparison to the Full Sails of the world. But also maybe instead of being extremely passionate about the music and music technology industries, its more about not being passionate at all about more traditional areas of study. Plus there’s already countless useless degrees that won’t get you a career with a livable income. People still waste fortunes on those.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Whatever works
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:09 am

beats me wrote:I thought the jokes would have ended and it would have sunk to page 2 of the forum by now. :x
There is not as much zest in the Lounge as there used to be, huh?! :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:16 am

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends wrote:look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted. one moment would you capture it or just let it slip? you only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow this opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo
:lol:
Is Eminems school of hard knocks taking applications?! :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:01 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:I thought the jokes would have ended and it would have sunk to page 2 of the forum by now. :x
There is not as much zest in the Lounge as there used to be, huh?! :x

From my post in the thread blaming eyeknow for the forum disruption…

I was actually :lol: when I saw the Volvo bomb. I welcome the occasional chaos at the tea party that is the Ableton forum and know the mods will do some mop up eventually.

Brings me back to the days when this place was much more spirited with some solid characters. :oops: