Do You Guys think that NWA was closer to G-Unit or P Enemy ?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Styles Bitchly

Re: Do You Guys think that NWA was closer to G-Unit or P Enemy ?

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:49 pm

starving student wrote: i think it's enlightening how rap music has united the globe unknowingly and knowingly…
here's an appropriate song

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=785032591534701
All kidding aside - I'm sure you're a swell guy 'n stuff, and don't take it personally when I say that imo - that statement is complete and utter B.S. I'm certain that there are some well-intentioned rappers out there, but as a vehicle for social commentary by the under-privileged, the rap "genre" is a complete failure and it hasn't united anyone knowingly or unknowingly in a positive or altruistic way as a vehicle for change. For an example of genres that have perhaps done a better job at that endeavor, take a look at Reggae or American Grassroots Blues. On the contrary, rap has predominantly united those with a propensity for thug mentality, and it's plagued with an image problem which evokes a sustained one-dimensional message of violence, subordination of and abuse of females, and most ironically - boasting rights over material accumulation ("cribs", "being seen at the da club", "cashmuney", etc., mo pussy) It offers little or no resolution to the social situation it supposedly loathes and uses as a justification to exist in the first place. If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. Especially in America, all of the raw materials and avenues to pull oneself out of the muck by ones bootstraps and change ones conditions are there, provided one has the will, persistence and drive to do so - don't sit around and moan about being held down by "The Man" - get off of your ass and expend some creative energy. Lastly - take a tally of how many successful & wealthy rappers who got rich off of their audiences have actually given something back to society and the poor disenfranchised huddled masses who listen to their muthafuckin lyrics and paid to see their performances. My cashmuney says that tally is pretty thin. Sadly, at the end of the day, however noble it's origins, rap is just another form of musical expression that ended up being corporatized into a money machine. Just my 50 Cent worth. :|

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:18 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:49 pm

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends wrote:
Styles Bitchly wrote: Lastly - take a tally of how many successful & wealthy rappers who got rich off of their audiences have actually given something back to society and the poor disenfranchised huddled masses who listen to their muthafuckin lyrics and paid to see their performances.
does handing out free turkeys count? 8)
If the handout cannot help cover the rent or a monthly iPhone subscription payment, then unequivocally.....NO! :)

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:43 am

Styles Bitchly wrote:
starving student wrote: i think it's enlightening how rap music has united the globe unknowingly and knowingly…

All kidding aside - I'm sure you're a swell guy 'n stuff, and don't take it personally when I say that imo - that statement is complete and utter B.S. I'm certain that there are some well-intentioned rappers out there, but as a vehicle for social commentary by the under-privileged, the rap "genre" is a complete failure and it hasn't united anyone knowingly or unknowingly in a positive or altruistic way as a vehicle for change. For an example of genres that have perhaps done a better job at that endeavor, take a look at Reggae or American Grassroots Blues. On the contrary, rap has predominantly united those with a propensity for thug mentality, and it's plagued with an image problem which evokes a sustained one-dimensional message of violence, subordination of and abuse of females, and most ironically - boasting rights over material accumulation ("cribs", "being seen at the da club", "cashmuney", etc., mo pussy) It offers little or no resolution to the social situation it supposedly loathes and uses as a justification to exist in the first place. If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. Especially in America, all of the raw materials and avenues to pull oneself out of the muck by ones bootstraps and change ones conditions are there, provided one has the will, persistence and drive to do so - don't sit around and moan about being held down by "The Man" - get off of your ass and expend some creative energy. Lastly - take a tally of how many successful & wealthy rappers who got rich off of their audiences have actually given something back to society and the poor disenfranchised huddled masses who listen to their muthafuckin lyrics and paid to see their performances. My cashmuney says that tally is pretty thin. Sadly, at the end of the day, however noble it's origins, rap is just another form of musical expression that ended up being corporatized into a money machine. Just my 50 Cent worth. :|
hey you're preaching to the choir over here, you don't have to tell me that thugs cars and hoes is no different than bikers sex drugs and rock &roll cause I know it. when I said that rap music united the globe I didn't mean " as a vehicle for social commentary by the under-privileged" I didn't say anything like that, I mean why would i expect the under privileged to set a higher example than the privileged, what kind of sense would that make?
on another note I agree that everyone has bootstraps, it's just that everyone doesn't define them in the same way, some people think that business loans, and government grants and subsidies are the definition of bootstraps… 'especially in america as you say', and then there are others who define bootstraps as 'straps on boots' that you pull up by your own hands.. ymmv

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:20 am

starving student wrote:
Styles Bitchly wrote:

hey you're preaching to the choir over here, you don't have to tell me that thugs cars and hoes is no different than bikers sex drugs and rock &roll cause I know it. when I said that rap music united the globe I didn't mean " as a vehicle for social commentary by the under-privileged" I didn't say anything like that, I mean why would i expect the under privileged to set a higher example than the privileged, what kind of sense would that make?
on another note I agree that everyone has bootstraps, it's just that everyone doesn't define them in the same way, some people think that business loans, and government grants and subsidies are the definition of bootstraps… 'especially in america as you say', and then there are others who define bootstraps as 'straps on boots' that you pull up by your own hands.. ymmv
Good on ya, m8....well spoken! Cheers. :D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:02 am

I don't know if you are seeing Hip Hop and Rap as separate genres, but Hip Hop is certainly widely used worldwide for expressing social commentary. In some cultures it has become the main way to express these things in culture at all.

The US is not the world!

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:57 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I don't know if you are seeing Hip Hop and Rap as separate genres, but Hip Hop is certainly widely used worldwide for expressing social commentary. In some cultures it has become the main way to express these things in culture at all.

The US is not the world!
Hip Hop isn't the subject here. :?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:I don't know if you are seeing Hip Hop and Rap as separate genres, but Hip Hop is certainly widely used worldwide for expressing social commentary. In some cultures it has become the main way to express these things in culture at all.

The US is not the world!
Hip Hop isn't the subject here. :?
Sorry for the confusion. Not my taste much either way.
As you'll were then 8)

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:39 am

so diddy and drakey have a fight right, but the comments from people under the reports are the funniest.
people saying 'you guys are both rich you don't have to be ghetto anymore', you can take the man out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the diddydrake lol,
these guys don't even come from any ghetto it's quite funny

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:sustained one-dimensional message of violence, subordination of and abuse of females,
:|

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:13 pm

Well I'm not going to quote a bunch of threads but the fact is I'm not afraid of "sex drugs rock and roll" but I fear gangstas ;)

And yes, I've been the victim of violent crime from gangstas so all the little white people that think it's ok, it's not.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:22 pm

eyeknow wrote:Well I'm not going to quote a bunch of threads but the fact is I'm not afraid of "sex drugs rock and roll" but I fear gangstas ;)

And yes, I've been the victim of violent crime from gangstas so all the little white people that think it's ok, it's not.
of course it's not right, i tell that all the time to people who think rappers invented gangsterism. I'd definitely feel more safe around Drake than ted nugent though any day of course neither of them are gangsters.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:30 pm

Good point about ted nugent. I'd rather take a cop hangin' out wit fiddy.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:47 am

Nugent is a big teddy bear with a growl worse than his bite, and a true patriot. You'd want him as your wingman if say you happened to fancy a late evening stroll through Watts or downtown Detroit.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:16 am

or appalachia, or semi valley, or any number of trailer parks, places in the oc, or…. teds neighborhood … naaaaah i don't think so :|