Banks can gamble your savings again

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:55 pm

Yup. Congress passed it and Obama is expected to give his “Fuck yes!” stamp. But hey, 2008 was like ions ago and who can really remember what happened back then. Nobody is hurting for money to play with right now more than banks, and nobody is more deserving I might add.

This is probably news to many but this is what happens when we busy ourselves getting outraged over a handful of police killings like they are an epidemic. But in fairness you probably are more likely to get shot by a cop than have a savings account.

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:00 pm

I'm sure many are like me and have the capability to be outraged about several things at the same time :wink:

In fact I can hardly remember the last time I wasn't outraged about the state of the world and the human race in general :x

But I believe constant outrage is just called bitterness and the lack of hope for change cynism :(

But here have a cat dressed as Santa:

Image

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:18 pm

It’s true. Your ability to juggle many outrages is unparalleled. Although I think outrage sometimes bleeds into topics that don’t deserve it. When in doubt, outrage?

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Speaking of savings, for every $1,000 I put in savings I get $0.01. WTF is that? Really the only point of savings at this point is partitioning some money outside your checking so it looks neat, but it certainly isn’t earning you anything.

I recently saw a doc on the economy and the Great Depression and it said one of the few rich who got out before the market crashed was Joe Kennedy. He said he realized it was time to get out when the guy who shined his shoes was investing. In other words stock market investment isn’t for everybody and yet it has become about the only means for people to save for retirement. That’s some scary shit.

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:24 pm

beats me wrote:It’s true. Your ability to juggle many outrages is unparalleled. Although I think outrage sometimes bleeds into topics that don’t deserve it. When in doubt, outrage?
Hey come on man :x
Didn't you see the cute cat?!

I'm really trying here to end my posts on a high note :wink:

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by derzai » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:41 pm

beats me wrote:Speaking of savings, for every $1,000 I put in savings I get $0.01. WTF is that? Really the only point of savings at this point is partitioning some money outside your checking so it looks neat, but it certainly isn’t earning you anything.

I recently saw a doc on the economy and the Great Depression and it said one of the few rich who got out before the market crashed was Joe Kennedy. He said he realized it was time to get out when the guy who shined his shoes was investing. In other words stock market investment isn’t for everybody and yet it has become about the only means for people to save for retirement. That’s some scary shit.
Image

stockmarkets is long term. that is what they told me.

i have never heard of joe kennedy, will google him.

if it is really exponential, then we are too early in the curve i am afraid.

:lol:

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:57 pm

^it's all in where you draw the trendline.
There are many alternative ways to draw it that would not make it look exponential, but linear or even decreasing. Making the wild upswings just exceptions.

Humans are good in pattern recognition. Sometimes too good.

H20nly
Posts: 15857
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:24 pm

that's not a stock market trend line, that's a reversed kick waveform.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:08 am

So the vast majority of people are supposed to look at the stock market as a long term investment, possibly the only investment they have access to, sit and wait and probably live frugally hoping it will all work out in the long haul.

Meanwhile the rich who don't need the money use the same institution like a casino to make a quick buck fueled by their own speculative bullshit and every so many years lose all the money invested by those who were told to sit and wait.

Do you think if the VC firms that pumped hundreds of millions of dollars into Facebook were told that they would have to wait 20 years to see their money back with a modest profit they would still kick down the money? Fuck no!

FUCK.

NO.

:x

H20nly
Posts: 15857
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:16 am

waveforms with more cowbell increase the index.

smutek
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:30 pm
Location: Baltimore,United States

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by smutek » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:53 am

beats me wrote:....and Obama is expected to give his “Fuck yes!” stamp....
It's funny too, that people still call him "socialist" and "marxist" and shit.

I fell for the "Hope" bullshit the first time around, and "the stakes are too high to vote third party" the second go around.

What a complete and absolute disappointment this guy has been.

eyeknow
Posts: 5822
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:16 am

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by eyeknow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:04 am

beats me wrote:Yup. Congress passed it and Obama is expected to give his “Fuck yes!” stamp. But hey, 2008 was like ions ago and who can really remember what happened back then. Nobody is hurting for money to play with right now more than banks, and nobody is more deserving I might add.

This is probably news to many but this is what happens when we busy ourselves getting outraged over a handful of police killings like they are an epidemic. But in fairness you probably are more likely to get shot by a cop than have a savings account.
Image

eyeknow
Posts: 5822
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:16 am

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by eyeknow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:05 am

H20nly wrote:that's not a stock market trend line, that's a reversed kick waveform.
And that is a problem because.........?

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by derzai » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:39 pm

in spite of all the whining, 2014 was a good year to have made some money on the stock exchange.

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: Banks can gamble your savings again

Post by derzai » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:40 pm

TomViolenz wrote:^it's all in where you draw the trendline.
There are many alternative ways to draw it that would not make it look exponential, but linear or even decreasing. Making the wild upswings just exceptions.

Humans are good in pattern recognition. Sometimes too good.
regression techniques.

of course a kid from the kindergarten or me afther having had some white widow could easily draw some other line in it.

Post Reply