installmac - Virus? Arrgh

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
wildcon

installmac - Virus? Arrgh

Post by wildcon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Just accidentally downloaded and installed a programme call 'installMac' that has taken over the home page of my Safari Browser :evil:

Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thanks!!
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

infernal.machine

Re: installmac - Virus? Arrgh

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:34 pm

Have you tried deleting it?

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:50 pm

Okay,

I quick visit to the Apple store and sorted.

Here's the instructions which are worth bookmarking.

http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203987

Took a shed load of time but all cool :) :) :)
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 pm

How did you "accidently" do that?

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:58 pm

It was in a download from a reputable Real Estate company through Linkedin.

I thought I had clicked to download the document/article and had actually clicked on a download for RAR (zip) for Mac that was on the same page. I wasn't overly concerned as it seemed appropriate for what would potentially be a large document download.

The irony was that I was actually impressed by the style and quality of the download progression box as it was infecting my Mac!! 8O

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:21 pm

So was it an ad cleverly disguised in a format that matched the page you were on?

steko

Post by steko » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:16 pm

The Safe Mac

- The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
Adware often comes packaged in installers for other software. Most often, this is because something was downloaded illegally from a torrent or piracy site. Sometimes it is because it has been added to a legit piece of software by an unscrupulous download site. (Even well-known download sites, such as Download.com and Softonic, have resorted to this kind of unethical behavior, and should never be used.) Other times it is because a developer has opted to use an adware-riddled installer, provided with incentives from the adware creator, to distribute their software. It could even be installed through deceit, by pretending to be something that it is not in order to trick the user into installing it. (This last type is usually the only type that is detected as malware by anti-virus software.)
:arrow: AdwareMedic

- The Safe Mac » Mac Malware Guide
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6