Movies

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Movies

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:04 pm

Cool. :)

I’m thinking of going on a 3D pre-order binge because I don’t make it out to the theaters that much and just going to see Straight Outta Compton cost me nearly $30 for just me with food. That’s what a 3D Blu-ray costs. Didn’t see the latest Avengers or Jurassic World yet either. Also heard San Andreas is good for what it is and anybody who was expecting more is an idiot. That would probably be pretty good in 3D.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Jurassic World was a lot better than I expected it to be.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:06 pm

^That's cool to hear... Might have to take my kiddo to that one.

beats me wrote:Cool. :)

I’m thinking of going on a 3D pre-order binge because I don’t make it out to the theaters that much and just going to see Straight Outta Compton cost me nearly $30 for just me with food. That’s what a 3D Blu-ray costs. Didn’t see the latest Avengers or Jurassic World yet either. Also heard San Andreas is good for what it is and anybody who was expecting more is an idiot. That would probably be pretty good in 3D.
I just applied the same logic to Mad Max... I wanted to see it in theaters, would have paid more than the 19.99 I dropped to buy it from iTunes and watch it on my Apple TV with a friend (and beer).

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Read a review of The Green Inferno that said it failed at being an over the top cannibal movie but succeeded in realistically portraying the protagonists as being more interested in trying to impress their social network friends with updates than any sincere altruistic intentions. :lol: :|

Yes, I’m cynical enough to believe a good percentage of young people do charitable work mostly because it looks good on their social resume. :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:27 pm

That seems sound.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:09 pm

Started watching the Spandau Ballet documentary just released on Netflix. The description stops just short of calling them the Beatles of 80’s pop music. Um, no. It’s edited in a way I can’t stand, all kinds of photos and videos but they never actually show the people talking over it. Maybe the band got horribly disfigured in a tour bus accident. I didn’t make it that far to find out.

The doc has a 1 star rating, but that is based on just one reviewer who qualified that rating with “ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz”. :lol:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Is it Soul Boys? Sounds like they were a bit mixed up. The name doesn't ring a bell at all (Spandau Ballet).

NYP bit:
I bought a ticket to the world, but now I’ve come back again: To early ’80s New Wave bands. Put me in front of an androgynous Brit in candy-colored clothes playing synth with an asymmetrical haircut, and bliss reigns.
The Spandau Ballet documentary “Soul Boys of the Western World” has all the kooky clothes, zippy songs and ’80s optimism you could ask for in a film about a group that had only one big US hit (but several in the UK). Why do I find it hard to write the next line? The band wasn’t that great.
Neither is the movie, which, if directed with a bit more sensitivity toward the latent comedy, could have been hilarious. The five band members’ ignorance of the homoerotic character of their larking around, for instance, brings to mind the gas station scene from “Zoolander.” Their occasional despairing moments (“We spent most of our time miming to small children”) are amusing, too, as are such missteps as showing up at the “Do They Know It’s Christmas” recording in a Bentley or being “truly gutted” by a loss to Duran Duran on a TV quiz show. Let’s have a bit more of that, and less promotion of the band’s sad reunion tour.
Silly how I would not drive a Bentley to It's Christmas recording yet do the same thing on other levels. /bonk

Sounds depressing.
ImageImage

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:50 pm

shadx312 wrote:The name doesn't ring a bell at all (Spandau Ballet).
That song "True" from the early 80s.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:17 pm

Yeah, that’s the only song I know by them, although some of the other tracks played in the doc sounded vaguely familiar…extremely vaguely.

Got bored with that doc and then started watching a doc called Divorce Corp (or something like that). Really doesn’t relate to me but it was recommended (dunno why) and has a 5 star rating. It’s about what a massive financial scam divorce court is in this country. It starts with the financial and asset statements, has very little to do with the couple involved, and is all about how much the lawyers, courts, and completely unqualified “experts” can drain all that money including court orders to sell assets to pay for legal fees. Lawyers completely instigate problems to prolong the process so they continue to get paid. It’s disgusting. :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:23 pm

stringtapper wrote:
shadx312 wrote:The name doesn't ring a bell at all (Spandau Ballet).
That song "True" from the early 80s.
Ah. derrrrrr

I need to stay away from 80's music for awhile.
ImageImage

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:25 pm

beats me wrote:Yeah, that’s the only song I know by them, although some of the other tracks played in the doc sounded vaguely familiar…extremely vaguely.

Got bored with that doc and then started watching a doc called Divorce Corp (or something like that). Really doesn’t relate to me but it was recommended (dunno why) and has a 5 star rating. It’s about what a massive financial scam divorce court is in this country. It starts with the financial and asset statements, has very little to do with the couple involved, and is all about how much the lawyers, courts, and completely unqualified “experts” can drain all that money including court orders to sell assets to pay for legal fees. Lawyers completely instigate problems to prolong the process so they continue to get paid. It’s disgusting. :x
That sounds straight up evil. I suppose it's part of the elite to destroy the rest of the world, no?
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:06 am

So I guess Netflix is branching into theater releases of original movies too. This is being released in theaters and on netflix streaming next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xb9Ty-1frw

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:31 am

8O
Looks like a winner and visually stunning as well.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi shadx! I'll have to post more in here since its the only thread you still participate in. :P :x

Heard the new Steve Jobs movie is mostly a fantasy based on his difficult personality and conversations that never happened but some people wish they did. :|

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:18 pm

That'll always be the case with history:/ Did you see this review? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtTdWbRifI4 I would have a problem with Sorkins writing as she pointed out, plus I'm burnt out on Steve.

I'm just participating in this thread because I got an email notification about it. I have no problems with the forums it's just that I've been pulled in to other things! Lots of shit to get together, post Anaheim BS.

How are you?
ImageImage