Movies

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
beats me

Re: Movies

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:35 pm

Star Wars fan wrote:I've been a huge SW fan since I was 8, but, as with most of my other interests, I've turned kind of lukewarm (no pun intended) and indifferent over the last few years. So I was very happy when this film awakened (sorry; can't help it) my inner child again. It felt like the Star Wars of my childhood.
objective viewer wrote: I could mention a thing or two that could have been better.

My roommate, who isn't a morning person, texted me this morning at 7 AM telling me he got his ticket for 9 AM tomorrow morning followed by asking me when I want to go see it with him again within the next week :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:01 am

I wanted to wait until next week to see it, but I have a feeling if there's any major spoilers I'm going to inadvertantly hear about them the longer I wait. So I'll probably go tomorrow and deal with the crazy crowds. Looking forward to it, sounds like it's what everyone really was waiting for.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:12 pm

STAR WARS SPOILER ALERT. As in I might spoil how you view the movie. Haven’t seen it yet but when there are reviews of anything I have to give some weight to the haters, especially when we live in a world that allows people to give something high marks strictly based on being excited about the prospect of owning/watching/playing/listening to something.

One hater stated the movie is basically a grab bag of already done before scenarios from the first 3 movies which is basically why the fanboys are shitting themselves. Oh, it’s like that scene in A New Hope!! And that’s like in Empire Strikes Back!! Oh damn, totally reminds me of Return of the Jedi!! Consciously or subconsciously that is what is happening. It’s a nostalgia orgasm that forgives the shortcomings. This is possibly why George Lucas said “Star Wars fans will like it” which wasn’t seen as a compliment. Also in the previous movies the force and becoming a Jedi was long hard work. In this movie it’s just kind of a skillset that happens with a little practice.

Still didn’t say it’s a bad scifi movie. Just doesn’t bring anything new to the Star Wars franchise to get excited about other than better affects and new faces.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:21 pm

But you haven't seen it.... Are there reviews that say that? Also I'd imagine more fanboys being overly critical of it than being rosy-eyed.

Another plus to not being attached to it; careless expectations. Hell, I'd rather see it as a standalone than keep the whole canon in mind while watching it.
ImageImage

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:33 pm

Beats: that's what didn't want to write, not wanting to spoil it...

Now that it's out there anyway, I can say that TFA reminded me of a wonderful, old Mad Magazine parody of Return of the Jedi (penned by the ever awesome Mort Drucker!), in which the rebels concluded to "just use the same plan we use every time" in order to blow up the Death Star.

Yes, there is quite a bit of "same shit, new wrapping", and particularly one aspect made me say "seriously?" out loud, but I think we have to allow them that "transition": they needed to make this first film palatable to long-time fans, before they gradually segue into a Disney machine of never ending sequels and spinoffs (and believe me: Disney will eventually make us all hate Star Wars!)

There is a scene with a weird vulture-like critter in the foreground, which I interpreted as a preemptive "sorry, George: we know we've scavenged and fucked up your work (we learnt from the best, though, amirite?" (and simultaneously "hey, George; we know you love critters").

All this said: the film totally delivered, and I was SO ready to watch the next episode when I walked out of the cinema. And I've already bought tickets to watch TFA again on Monday... :mrgreen: The ending gave me huge chills (and I was struggling to keep the tears back several times, but I'm kind of soft that way).

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:37 pm

sporkles wrote:Yes, there is quite a bit of "same shit, new wrapping", and particularly one aspect made me say "seriously?" out loud, but I think we have to allow them that "transition": they needed to make this first film palatable to long-time fans, before they gradually segue into a Disney machine of never ending sequels and spinoffs (and believe me: Disney will eventually make us all hate Star Wars!)
There are entire generations that don’t know or “get” the whole Star Wars thing, some shockingly older than might think. This partial rehashing may be a good middle ground to both pleasing the old fans and bringing in the new generations.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 pm

beats me wrote: There are entire generations that don’t know or “get” the whole Star Wars thing, some shockingly older than might think. This partial rehashing may be a good middle ground to both pleasing the old fans and bringing in the new generations.
It's stone cold calculation on Disney's part, but as long as I'm enjoying the films, I'm not complaining. I just wonder if they're going to give us one solid trilogy (which would be a nice way of closing the circle for us old uns) before they franchise the last bit of spirit out of Star Wars.

The First Order = Disney
https://youtu.be/_pd6yO-jBRo

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:13 am

Did anyone see the new SW in 3d? There's only a couple english versions of the movie shown per day here in Lux, and usually it's the 3d version. Not sure if I really want to see Star Wars in 3d though....

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:59 am

I didn't see the 3D version, but I'd avoid it like the plague. TFA is shot on film, so the 3D version is necessarily ported to 3D, which is an absolutely horrible experience.

Or let me put it differently: "You don't want to see Star Wars in 3D." *slow, waving hand gesture*

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:51 am

Awesome, perfect.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:35 pm

Great movie, really, really enjoyed it. There was a bit of sameness to the main battle approach, but that's the only fault I have with it. Really stoked now for the 2nd one.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Saw it in 3D. Enjoyed it tremendously.

But, I have to say, that was my first ever 3D movie experience haha.

I've always been somewhat skeptical of 3D's value and ability to translate as something relevant.

Now that I've experienced it, it makes me wonder what I've missed in other movies that might be 3D.

I don't think 3D took away from the film in any way. And even added a little here and there.

I should also mention that I rarely watch movies, so my opinion of most movies is excitement haha

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:56 pm

I agree with sporkles 98%. - 2% for tears. No tears here... I realized after Optimus Prime first showed up that I need to lock it up. :wink:

movie was good... *spoilerish alert* There is some recycling but hey... It's not like the Empire are going to switch it up much, the brain trust got destroyed at the end of Return of the Jedi.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:28 am

Seeing it in Imax 3D on Christmas Eve.

MUST AVOID . . . .

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:45 pm

Spoiler: Jabba dies not of heart attack or liver failure, but from being strangled with a chain.