Movies

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Movies

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:12 am

Watching The Lobster about a society that forces you to find a relationship in 45 days under their supervision or you are turned into an animal of your choice. The main character escapes and joins The Loners. They strictly forbid relationships and "We all dance by ourselves. That's why we only listen to electronic music." :lol:

Totally great absurd movie.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:02 am

Imagine the poor bastard trying to pitch that idea in Hollywood

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Other than the turned into an animal part I don’t think it was that hard of a sell. It’s basically an extreme look at society’s pressure for people to be in a relationship which I’m sure a lot of people can relate to. Police stop people walking alone to confirm they are in a relationship. If a couple can’t work out a dispute on their own they are placed with a child “because that usually works”. People are deemed compatible for ridiculous reasons like they both have chronic nose bleeds. People lying about or faking these ridiculous shared traits just to be in a relationship. Even the turned into an animal part has a point like the reason there are so many dogs and endangered species is because a lot of people don’t have a lot of imagination or meaning when a fresh start is offered to them.

Good flick I’m sure will stick with me and I’ll be doing a lot of “Oh, that’s what they meant by that!” reflections. I'm sure I put some spoilers in the above but there is a lot more to take in and analyze.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:49 pm

Sausage Party getting good reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReJOJR-DImU

Might go see it this weekend.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:40 pm

Saw the Sausage Party trailer before Suicide Squad. When the first F bomb dropped it was mega! By the time the trailer was done, honestly it was a bit tired... The Westworld TV show trailer looked great too. SS was great fun every which way. Film critics eh. Just saw createdigitalmusic is knocking "We Are Your Friends" again, but I loved it!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:44 pm

Started watching Lobster last night, what a totally bizarre movie!
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:08 pm

Very weird movie, but worth watching. I loved the "That's why we listen to electronic music" bit though :)
Tarekith

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:04 pm

:)

I also liked when they asked the loners if they literally dug their own grave.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:40 pm

Finally saw Ghostbusters. I rewatched GB & GB2 some weeks ago to refresh my memory, and I have to say that all the hate the film has gotten has nothing to do with its quality. It's much better than GB2, and on par with GB1, BUT it has the same problems as the originals: the plot is merely an afterthought, and it's basically the same thing all over again. The first half is good, but the fact of the matter is that ghosts just aren't all that interesting villains, and the showdown is just a big yawn. I think the new Ghostbusters crew were objectively both funnier and a lot more vital than the originals (which relied way too much on Bill Murray), but I just expected more laughs. I really wanted to love this film, because I dug the casting, but the end result was merely OK.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:13 pm

That’s what’s funny about a lot of the outrage towards a lot of remakes. The originals weren’t exactly a masterclass in exemplary storytelling and film making.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:41 pm

i think nostalgia is hard mountain to summit.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Watched about 45 minutes of Batman vs. Superman and then right back in the mail it went to Netflix. Just awful. Nobody was likable and it felt like a season finale where all the subplots were falling into place except you didn’t get any of that storytelling that might actually make you give a shit. :?

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:39 pm

Music documentaries or music-centric movies bum me out. It’s like staring down the barrel of “Hey, look at what you’re not doing!” or “Here’s a time in music history when you might have thrived but not anymore!” Same thing with music awards shows. :|

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm the opposite, can't get enough music documentaries personally. Wish there were more. I may not be able to relate given the changing times, but great music always had to deal with adversity and seeing how other people dealt with it always pushes me to keep going.
Tarekith