SHifTED Radio: Looking for DJs and Playlist Material

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
jonbenderr

SHifTED Radio: Looking for DJs and Playlist Material

Post by jonbenderr » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:33 am

Hey guys, feel free to move this where appropriate.

Just launched a new internet radio station and am looking for talented people to start filling up a live broadcast schedule as well as submit original material for daily rotations.

Open to all styles, but definitely leftfield/experimental leaning. In my opinion, this is very broad. There are many leftfield and experimental sub genres of most major genres.

If you're interested in hosting a show, contact us via the contact form on the website. Include any relevant material (original tracks, mixes, past experience etc. etc.). Also include day and time slot you might be interested in.

You can take your show as seriously as you want. This is meant to be fun, not a second job you should dread. At the same time, it would be appreciated if you have intentions of keeping up on your show regularly.

We're trying to keep Friday and Saturday night open for special events. Have one you want to broadcast live? Let us know.

For playlist material, we are mostly looking for individual originally produced tracks, though we may open up to dj mixes in the future. As stated, looking to lean more leftfield/experimental. Join our soundcloud group and submit tracks.

Keep in mind, you will be coming in on the ground floor, so listener count will be very minimal at first. As the show schedule builds, and word gets out, we can hopefully develop a good dedicated listener base. Listener cap is currently set at 100. If the day ever comes where we need more, we will get more.

Hope to hear from a few of you!
All info can be found here:
http://www.shiftedradio.com

TomViolenz

Re: SHifTED Radio: Looking for DJs and Playlist Material

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:15 pm

I know you are just doing promo here, but if you care to, why not explain a little better why you are doing what you are doing?!

There are obviously already soooooo many podcasts and streaming music stations that no one listens too.
Why make a new one?!

What will differentiate you from them.

(which is equivalent to the question of: why should I try to be on your station and not theirs)

Also: If you want to play my music (in the signature link), go ahead. But be warned, it's certainly "leftfield" :mrgreen: )

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:21 pm

Welp, first things first, my intentions aren't to promote the station. I actually wasn't thinking "maybe these people will listen?" at all if you would believe.

As far as why I'm doing what I'm doing, for me it's just a fun project that I've always wanted to give a go at. Maintained my own radio show for quite a while and always just felt like I wanted to organize my own station. On the same note, not something I'm going to slack on. Somebody having problems logging on to do their show? I'll be a facebook message or email away.

There is really no romantic mission statement. I have always enjoyed giving people an outlet to be as creative as they want to be. I also just love sharing music. Pretty much sums it up.

What differentiates us? Absolutely nothing...right now. From past experience, I've seen stations go from 70-80 listener average all the way down to single digits. What changed? The broadcast schedule. People stopped doing there shows regularly, and the people that followed stopped listening regularly.

I'm not all about stats though. A few people listening on the reg, whatevs. Point is the people involved make a station. I already have a few lined up and involved that can really provide interesting things.

I would also say a lot of stations out there are very single minded. Another reason I got away from doing my own show. I was once on air playing some techno on a station that was primarily breakbeat oriented. Got an IM telling me turn it off or get kicked off. REALLY? I get it, but c'mon. Someone gets a little adventurous and the Gestapo show up? So a broad but organized variety might be something else that differentiates us in the long run. DJs are free to do WHATEVER they want. Don't care if you sit and play songs off youtube all night, as long as it's music people enjoy.

Hopefully all this answers your questions. In the end I think it's the real personalities a station has and the real people who enjoy them that make a station tick.

(PS: Love your tunes! Wanna hear em on air sometime?) :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:34 am

Yeah, I keep forgetting that there are ways where I can essentially hang out with people without them physically being around.

When a station has a consistent schedule going, sometimes people will just let it stream and often times interact and chat with others who also happen to be listening to the same thing at the same time. There is a very strong bond built simply by everyone sharing the same musical timeline for a period of time. So yeah, it is essentially a nice way to hang out with people and talk about stuff from the comfort of your own home.

I think something that is sort of fighting with that option today is the proliferation of portable devices. If I had my computer on more often I'd probably be more likely to listen to something or fall into a chat etc. Lately I just live in this cold desolate world seen through the screen of a pocket-held phoning device. You cant multitask and let a window be up for one thing while you're cssually doing other things.

Even recognizing this problem, I have no strong urge to turn on my computer haha

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:28 pm

I have to say your mission statement is romantic enough for me :D

And I appreaciate your response and the honesty towards us, but also yourself on where you stand regarding chances.

I wish you well on your endevour and sure you can play my tracks. That's what I made them for :mrgreen:

Just tell people that they are mine and link them to my Soundcloud