Windows 10 will be free…..

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Windows 10 will be free…..

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:18 pm

crumhorn wrote:I'm pretty sure that Sony will have built in some specially cunning form of obsolescence to prevent me from upgrading my Win 7 Vaio Laptop. Probably not worth the pain.

I had a Sony Vaio back in the early 00’s. It was a floor model that didn’t come with any install CDs. I installed a clean version of Windows (whatever version at the time). I then had to install 22 patches from the Sony site just to get it to work normally. And I had to do it all from a thumb drive from another computer at my work because one of the things that didn’t work on the Windows install was connecting to the internet.

I sure hope PCs have advanced from that bullshit. :x

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:31 pm

I never never never touch Sony. Right from the get-go they had awkward driver issues. Thankfully, people won't have to worry about this anymore. I think they dropped out of computers. I guess their business (of laptops) was falling apart at the hinges

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:39 pm

Kraftwerk use Sony laptops...

We installed Windows 10 on an old Xeon server at work last week. It was nice. It didn't even need a single driver installed. Everything just worked. It was basically 7 and 8's love child. I would have loved to plug in an audio interface :P

the glasses are fucking ugly, but in regard to Microsoft OS design, they must have some good designer working on that… because it wasn't until they started designing flat that Apple decided to adopt it 8O

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:48 pm

I tried to update it to windows 8 but the nvidia graphics chip that was the problem. due to Sony getting them made with a different chip identifier code (something like that). So you can't install the nvidia drivers and of course Sony no longer support the model because it's too old.

So I tried a dodgy program that patches the nvidia drivers to make it recognize the Sony coded chip. All this succeeded in doing was wasting hours of my time.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:52 pm

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:07 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I never never never touch Sony. Right from the get-go they had awkward driver issues. Thankfully, people won't have to worry about this anymore. I think they dropped out of computers. I guess their business (of laptops) was falling apart at the hinges

Currently it seems like if something doesn’t integrate with the PS4 then Sony is getting out of the business.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:55 pm

so i was just looking at Windows 10 again. this time we installed it on a 3 year old Lenovo workstation... again, with no driver issues. it fired right up and everything worked.

the Task Manager is tits. broken down by processes for each user (expandable list). Processes tab displays process IDs and can be easily matched with the Services tab. you can see a process in real time including bandwidth without digging... just switch tabs. you can kill Start Up items from the Start Up tab... no more msconfig required.

the Contol Panel is gone. it's been replaced with Settings. no more ugly little icons. each group is a simple vector-ish icon with no borders. more like a modern website that an OS.

it's fucking fast. before i blamed the Xeon server with SAS drives, but it's noticeably fast on the Lenovo with SATA too.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:23 pm

Windows 10: Over 200 improvements to help you downsize your IT department.

:x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:33 pm

nah... build it fool proof, they just build better fools.

the chair to keyboard interface is the most common issue in a work environment.

error code 1d10T for that one.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:33 pm

So just read a couple cool things about Windows 10. Didn’t watch any announcement vids so this is probably old news to some.

Hybrid devices should be able to detect whether the user is using them in a traditional PC way or by touch screen and auto adjust for that kind of usage.

Single programming language across PCs and portable devices so what works on a Windows PC should also work on a Windows phone or tablet.

Those 2 things get my official “Nifty” stamp.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:41 pm

beats me wrote: FREEE often makes people forget all their other reasons for not upgrading. Ask Apple users. There’s a lot of mumbling that Apple needs to knock it off with the yearly upgrades because of stability issues, fuck new features. It’s also been mentioned we need a Snow Leopard type upgrade next – super stable, slimmed down, no new features.
Hear, hear.
Make some music!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:57 pm

If Apple did a Snow Leopard type upgrade next they would have to call it Yosemite Sam. :P

:P

:x

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:26 pm

As long as you're not an anti-Yosemite.

Yosemite check this mic to see if it's plugged in.

Once Apple works out a programming language for their multiple Platform OS, I'll be more than delighted to give the pOS a try. Maybe they'll roll out the pOS with their new watches.

c33

Post by c33 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:43 am

njh wrote:Im imagining the people at microsoft forgot that they never made a windows 9.
The rumor is skipping from 8 to 10 had something to do with their legacy code.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:07 am

So since many users (including me) found Windows 8 a confusing mess compared to Windows 7, here comes Windows 7.5, called Windows 10. Boy, will this make everything clear... :mrgreen: