Beck’s album of the year Grammy

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Beck’s album of the year Grammy

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:45 pm

I’m not a big Beck fan but I dig some of his songs and appreciate his uniqueness. I previewed his album after it won the album of the year and eh. And again, not to downplay his talent, but sometimes I think a Grammy win is more of a wakeup call to other artists to knock it off with their formulaic done to death horseshit that doesn’t make them stand out from everybody else pushing the exact same thing on to the market.

I'm also noticing a pattern of debut albums from pop artists that are somewhat unique and then by the second or third album they go through a Taylor Swiftification of sounding like everybody else while ironically claiming this is the album where they finally found their unique true voice.

eddiex

Re: Beck’s album of the year Grammy

Post by eddiex » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:34 pm

i liked morning phase...it's definitely not Beck's best work. none of those albums deserved album of the year(IMO) that being said, i think kanye's rant about how Beck should respect artistry and give his grammy to beyonce, i mean....it's obvious kanye doesn't know who Beck is, or what he does. Beck handled it in stride though.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:57 pm

:lol: @ Kanye - the douche is strong with this one.
beats me wrote:I'm also noticing a pattern of debut albums from pop artists that are somewhat unique and then by the second or third album they go through a Taylor Swiftification of sounding like everybody else while ironically claiming this is the album where they finally found their unique true voice.
you too can find your voice when the money rolls in and that second house is paid for.

Morning Phase... i had it on my iPhone playing in my car for a while... that shit had to stop. when it comes on at home as part of a bigger playlist or a complete library shuffle, i like the tracks.

Grammy worthy?? well, i guess i just gave a scenario where i can listen to it, which puts it well ahead of most Grammy winners, including Beyonce.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:10 pm

H20nly wrote:
beats me wrote:I'm also noticing a pattern of debut albums from pop artists that are somewhat unique and then by the second or third album they go through a Taylor Swiftification of sounding like everybody else while ironically claiming this is the album where they finally found their unique true voice.
you too can find your voice when the money rolls in and that second house is paid for.

I imagine all integrity flies out the window when you’re given full access to the room of guaranteed hit makers, especially when they are a young artist who probably doesn’t have much integrity they are willing to fight for anyway. Allowing the first album to be released was probably just a testing ground for how moldable they can make their appeal to the masses.

I predict Lorde will be wearing pink dresses and pumps by the third album or disappear into irrelevant obscurity.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:21 pm

hopefully the latter in the 2 Lorde scenarios. i actually respect her.

and yeah, can you imagine the depth of a kid like Beiber... or Kanye? :lol: it must be like talking to college freshmen chicks who think their going to become psychologists... they'll tell you how deep they are and show you how deep they aren't in the same sentence.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:06 pm

I respect the Katy Perry and Kesha’s of the world because they came out the gate doing what they are still doing and as far as I know didn’t win the Disney Channel lottery as a child. Taylor Swift started with Country music and Charli XCX with Darkwave and now they are both doing Katy Perry music and claiming they’re latest is the album that is the truest to their voice and heart.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Any pop singer that claims a song is true to their voice and heart is a liar because http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Martin probably wrote it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:40 pm

infernal.machine wrote:Any pop singer that claims a song is true to their voice and heart is a liar because http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Martin probably wrote it.

Wasn’t aware of him specifically, but we have had some discussion before on how there is a small group of people who write most of the hits for pop stars.

I got excited when Sia got some solid spotlight a year or two ago with her album because she was/is one of those hit writers for other artists. Well, that and she’s also 39. Nice to see some of that kind of attention going to somebody who isn’t considered a has-been by their 25th birthday.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:43 pm

I think Max Martin actually won best producer this year lol

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Nice. Was that part of the 2 hours of pre-show awards they give to people who are more talented and important to the industry but don’t want to bother the public with people they won’t find on TMZ?