Apple Watch

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production

Apple Watch - will it succeed?

Smart Watches are the next big thing and Apple has revolutionized the concept again
6%
Smart watches are the next big thing, but Apples device fails
12%
Smart watches are a fad, but Apple will turn it into a next big thing
6%
meh
47%
Tacos are the next big thing. Give me 350 USD worth of Tacos NOW!
29%

Total votes: 17

TomViolenz

Re: Apple Watch

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:08 pm

beats me wrote:It’s all good. My first gen iPod (hand me down) sat in a drawer forever because I didn’t get it. :lol:
:x
And I wanted one forever and couldn't afford it.

The thing I could see as a winning feature would be if it makes Apple pay work without the phone. (And by extension electronic check in and two factor authentication features.)

Still very expensive for what it is.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:10 pm

Btw, according to the current poll results Apple should have released the iTaco :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:17 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:It’s all good. My first gen iPod (hand me down) sat in a drawer forever because I didn’t get it. :lol:
And I wanted one forever and couldn't afford it.

The thing I could see as a winning feature would be if it makes Apple pay work without the phone. (And by extension electronic check in and two factor authentication features.)

Still very expensive for what it is.

The way I understand it for Apple Pay to work you have to be wearing the Apple Watch and then authenticate it with the Touch ID on the iPhone once. I believe after that it will still work even if your iPhone isn’t present, although I don’t know why anybody would be running around shopping without their phone on them. As soon as you take the watch off Apple Pay gets disabled.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:29 pm

I didn't see it before but now that I have a 6 Plus I can totally see how having a small profile peripheral to do common tasks without having to pull the giant phone out of your pocket could be attractive.

I still don't understand the details of what it does and doesn't do with/without the phone.
Unsound Designer

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:22 pm

not bothered. dont care. so the meh option for me

i haven't worn a watch since i was a teenager. and that's a LONG time ago. i used to wear a Swatch in the eighties, and at one point i had a casio thing with a calculator on it and various other gimmicks

i'm more interested in buying or finding cheap tat that doesn't work properly. maybe that's why i use windows?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:50 pm

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:31 pm

beats me wrote:
H20nly wrote:
I could see a 50 or max. 100 bucks iPhone companion
Apple already sells one of those... it's commonly refered to as "iPhone case"

H2, you’re in medical. Here’s a doctor/patient conversation I predict will happen in a year or two.

“It’s imperative you monitor your [insert whatever the fuck here]. You have a couple options. You can get this box that’s roughly the size and weight of a closet safe that costs $3,000 of which your insurance will generously cover $200. Or you can get an Apple Watch. Your choice.”
:lol: in what sci-fi flick?

First, most doctors won't care much about the cost... but we're pretending right? so the reality is, it doesn't matter which option costs what, or makes more sense, unless the patient is paying out of pocket, because insurance would not cover the Apple watch for at least another decade, probably more... even if it did bring something new and medically viable to the table, which it does not.

Cheaper or more advanced has fuck all to do with it. anybody who had to have grey fillings because their insurance wouldn't cover the white ones that cost the same can tell you that.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:59 pm

I’m not suggesting insurance companies are going to pay for Apple Watches. I’m saying I seem to recall you saying that some doctors were so enamored with their Apple products that they didn’t care how difficult it made your IT job. Just make it happen. If Apple starts pushing out technology that makes it easier to track and communicate with patients then it’s not a stretch to think they’ll want to jump on that as well.

So really you laughing is masking over the fact that you are crying inside over the new wave of medical tech that is going to make your job a living hell. :P

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:29 pm

How dare you start an Apple thread. HOW DARE YOU.

FFS

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:30 pm

I mean, you've SOILED the good name of Apple.

Shame on all of you. SHAME!!!!!!!!

:x :lol: :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:49 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:How dare you start an Apple thread. HOW DARE YOU.

FFS

too slow old man?! :lol: :mrgreen:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:15 am

beats me wrote:I’m not suggesting insurance companies are going to pay for Apple Watches. I’m saying I seem to recall you saying that some doctors were so enamored with their Apple products that they didn’t care how difficult it made your IT job. Just make it happen. If Apple starts pushing out technology that makes it easier to track and communicate with patients then it’s not a stretch to think they’ll want to jump on that as well.

So really you laughing is masking over the fact that you are crying inside over the new wave of medical tech that is going to make your job a living hell. :P
nah. they think they want Apple products. having them for a while solves a lot of that...

you still can't do many of things that are expected in a multi platform (not just iOS) environment with their products... so unless Apple makes a rapidly adopted replacement for the internet and/or can re-encorporate the 197 features, at least 12 of which the physician and/or the organization really need (not just want), that are stripped away by having an app version... an app version that is little more than a glorified webpage tied to a specific device... then the sparkle fades and it's business as usual... where cool doesn't blow the budget...

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:41 am

The idea of it perks me up a little, I will wait for a generation or 2 (like all thing's apple) and see how it develops and unfolds. $350 is steep though, unless I can run some propellerhead musical jockey toy off it.....
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:48 pm

H20nly wrote:
beats me wrote:I’m not suggesting insurance companies are going to pay for Apple Watches. I’m saying I seem to recall you saying that some doctors were so enamored with their Apple products that they didn’t care how difficult it made your IT job. Just make it happen. If Apple starts pushing out technology that makes it easier to track and communicate with patients then it’s not a stretch to think they’ll want to jump on that as well.

nah. they think they want Apple products. having them for a while solves a lot of that...

you still can't do many of things that are expected in a multi platform (not just iOS) environment with their products... so unless Apple makes a rapidly adopted replacement for the internet and/or can re-encorporate the 197 features, at least 12 of which the physician and/or the organization really need (not just want), that are stripped away by having an app version... an app version that is little more than a glorified webpage tied to a specific device... then the sparkle fades and it's business as usual... where cool doesn't blow the budget...

Fair enough. But this tech is coming and Apple seems to be the only one currently pushing it…as they do. Nobody is going to argue that the medical industry isn’t convoluted as fuck right now. Every year or so I make a color scan of the pile of medical cards I have in my wallet and email it to HR with “Which of these do I still need to carry around?!?”. :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:43 pm