Streaming Ableton to Twitch using Open Broadcasting Software

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Knasti

Streaming Ableton to Twitch using Open Broadcasting Software

Post by Knasti » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:29 am

Hey there Ableton Community!

I can't seem to get the audio from Ableton to connect to OBS.

Has anyone been able to do this successfully? I'd love step-by-step instructions.

Thank you!!

Vastonik

Re: Streaming Ableton to Twitch using Open Broadcasting Software

Post by Vastonik » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:57 am

This is a complicated issue that I don't have a perfect solution to but this is how I managed to do what you're trying to do.

So your default audio driver in Live's preferences are probably set to ASIO with your output being your speakers or sound card. Problem with this is that the sound never goes through Windows and OBS cannot find the audio. If you set the audio device as MME/Direct, it will go through Windows but you will have latency issues with any external instruments and MIDI.

There are programs such as Virtual Audio Cable that you can use to route audio from different sources to different outputs but I never personally could ever figure out how to get ASIO to output to Windows. There are some folks online who suggest physically routing a cable from your headphone jack on the soundcard directly to the mic-in on your motherboard (I tried this myself but Windows freaked the hell out and made a feedback loop, be careful doing this)

I personally am doing this: The MIDI latency isn't too bad when I have it set to MME/Direct, but the audio latency is trash. What I'm doing is recording into Adobe Audition and grabbing the files from there and dropping them into Live.

I, too, would like to know how to get zero latency with ASIO but be able to stream it with OBS to Twitch.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:12 pm

I've looked into this, and although my audio device allows complex routing via software (RME Fireface) the issue became overly complex to manage. Anyone attempting this will know what I mean.

I'm on a PC and as I have TWO audio devices, an RME Fireface and a shitty onboard audio card too - I've done it the hardware route - by routing a spare set of outs from my RME to the onboard input. My onboard card is muted / not connected to anything. Now In OBS I can select OnboardLineIn WMA driver as my audio source.
Of course I probably sacrifice a little clarity to the stream, but I don't care. It's minimal.

What makes this the best method is it's just two physical patch cords - I can start OBS and it works. All the other solutions involved opening VAC, then Live and then OBS in the correct order and hoping the RME driver or the ASIO/WMA bridge didn't throw a fit ... and that the source was available and functional.
It usually didn't work.

Tl;dr - Hardware with two audio devices, one using ASIO, one using WMA.

ADDITIONAL-
I've been using a DSLR as a web-camera source. Usually you cant do this but - if your camera comes with a piece of software for "remote shooting". Open that and get the "preview" window open. Now in OBS select that window as a source. Now you have very sexy video input for your main camera.

Zipede

Post by Zipede » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:20 pm

I realise this is an old thread, but as I couldn't find this exact solution elsewhere, I've added it here.

I run a cable from my speakers headphones output into the second input of my external soundcard (Roland Duo Capture EX). Then in the OBS mixer, go to Mic/Aux properties and select my external soundcard. So in effect, the sound is passing through the Roland twice. You also need to put a splitter on the Roland's output, one to the speaker and one to the headphones.

Not good if you need more than 1 audio instrument running as the Roland only has 2 inputs, but it's not a problem for me.

Zipede

MikeWest

Post by MikeWest » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:55 am

Here's my solution:
https://youtu.be/rNGLDfPNXp4
In my opinion the best to date for 64 bit windows users.

sipotat

Post by sipotat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:48 pm

Mike, You are a god. so helpfull, so simple, finally!

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:57 pm

On an RME device you use the "Loopback" button in the mixer for your DAW output. Super easy with an RME device.

angus_mcd

Post by angus_mcd » Wed May 06, 2020 3:33 am

Hello all,

Trying to stream a DJ set through OBS, using a mac and Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I'm having trouble routing the audio correctly. I've looked at many tutorials which generally instruct me to create a multi output device, etc. I've been successful in at least routing ableton to OBS, but when I do, I lose the functionality of the second output that I need for the cue to DJ. Anybody able to help me troubleshoot this? There doesn't seem to be any resources out there for a scarlett 2i4 user, only 2i2.

Thanks
Angus