Who's making music standing up?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sporkles

Who's making music standing up?

Post by sporkles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:34 pm

So I've tried to jump on the standing desk bandwagon, but after a few months of this, I'm definitely not convinced. On the one hand, it feels great standing up while I'm just playing around with Push, or doing some DJing in Traktor, but when I'm doing precise edits and adjusting envelopes etc., standing up doesn't feel natural at all. Now, I don't have one of those fancy, adjustable desks - I've simply raised the tabletop on my good, old IKEA Jerker desk. I also bought a barstool, in the hopes that it would allow me to sit when called for, but sitting on that thing is really hurting me, and when I hop down from it, my knees are turned into jelly and I while I'm on the chair, my posture is rubbish.

Is there anyone on here with a standing desk "success story"? I think I would really miss the ability to halfway dance while I'm jotting my initial ideas down, but I'm beginning to think that I'll have to lower the tabletop again.

beats me

Re: Who's making music standing up?

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:52 pm

As long as all your usual gear is raised to the same level comparative to when you were sitting I don’t see how it would be much different.

As far as your stool issue, get a better stool? There are stools that are pretty much office chairs at a higher level.

Of course ideally having one of those hydraulic desks that lowers and raises at the touch of a button would be awesome but that shit isn't cheap.

This got me to thinking, do people actually practice DJing sitting down? 8O That’s just not right!

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:50 pm

I keep leaning towards making the move to standing, I know it is better all the way around for posture. Currently I use an extra large exercise ball (75CM) which gives me an option to lay over it and stretch when needed. I think regardless of standing or sitting, posture requires awareness. I see plenty of pictures of DJ's who are standing hunched over their screens, and equipment, assuming they are really DJing and not pressing play on the laptop and putting on a "show."
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:12 pm

I'm still sitting, but I made a concerted effort this year on functionality and comfort: rolling mixer stand , extra long cables, main studio desk, writing desk/station, monitor stands, etc. I can pretty much stay focused and keep my body in comfortable positions throughout my "sessions" My times limited and I'll be damed if I can't be comfortable and enjoy my time when I got it.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:44 am

I use a height adjustable desk and love it, but it's not something I stand up at all the time. For critical listening, long editing sessions, watching tutorial videos, etc I prefer sitting down. For DJing, live sets, banging out new ideas, or every day Internet stuff I prefer standing.

If you can't raise and lower your desk, it's still critical to have a decent chair or stool if you're going to sit I think. A sore butt is a sore butt regardless of how high off the floor it is :)

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:55 am

Tarekith wrote:Image

I use a height adjustable desk and love it, but it's not something I stand up at all the time. For critical listening, long editing sessions, watching tutorial videos, etc I prefer sitting down. For DJing, live sets, banging out new ideas, or every day Internet stuff I prefer standing.

If you can't raise and lower your desk, it's still critical to have a decent chair or stool if you're going to sit I think. A sore butt is a sore butt regardless of how high off the floor it is :)
That's a tight rig, Tarekith - just the right stuff a guy can use. :D

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:02 am

Now that standing desks have been with us for a while many people are realizing that they need to vary their work positions: standing all the time has its downsides, just like sitting all the time does. Try creating multiple workstations to keep changing your body's positioning.

In order of preference I sit on the floor, stand, sit or streatch on an exercise ball, & relax with a lounge chair + ottoman. I've moved my office chair out of the studio completely. I have areas in the studio for each preference.

Info on floor sitting:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/floor-li ... z3V9IGxG1F

Minilogue have what looks like a studio with both standing & sitting workstations:
https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/minilogue-setup/

A bit hard to see in this photo, but their-stand up stations are behind the sit down station in front.
Last edited by oblique strategies on Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:06 am

BTW, ikea now sells a pretty affordable stand sit desk, much much cheaper than I paid :(

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:10 am

Still pricey. You must have paid a pretty penny for your desk!

I want one that rises from floor (Japanese style desk) to full standing. Must be automatic & silent too, while I'm dreaming... But then the monitors will have to be on rising stands as well. C'est la vie.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:16 am

Mine goes down to only 12 inches tall, pretty close to that style :)

Monitoring is the hard part for sure. Before I got the big Tylers I was using two sets of monitors set up for both positions, but luckily the new speakers are big enough that's no longer really necessary. Though it's not ideal when standing, works good enough.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:28 am

Great studio! You're ready to explore the sitting on the floor washitsu style! :D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:38 am

I love that Minilogue studio btw, I'd kill for something like that.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:43 am

Ditto.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:24 am

oblique strategies wrote:Now that standing desks have been with us for a while many people are realizing that they need to vary their work positions: standing all the time has its downsides, just like sitting all the time does. Try creating multiple workstations to keep changing your body's positioning.
This. I've just been laid up for a week or so with back problems which I've overcome by switching seats and alternately siting and standing.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:27 am

I have a standing desk + barstool.

For jamming and playing music, I stand on mah feets. For editing automation and tweaking audio, barstool.