Who's making music standing up?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
hipdeejay

Re: Who's making music standing up?

Post by hipdeejay » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:07 am

I've been using a custom made standing desk for a few years now, not really sure how I feel about it. One it's good to be standing, otherwise I'd be sitting all day which is very bad. But on the other hand I feel I get distracted way to easy like this and like you mentioned it's hard to really get in the groove and focus on precise things.
It is good for jamming out to tunes and things of that nature tho.

I've been considering getting something like this http://www.thehumansolution.com/uplift- ... black.html for my desk, it's pretty affordable but I'm afraid if I did then I would just sit at my desk all day and rarely use it in standing position.

It definitely feels better not sitting down all day tho. I do feel less productive trying to stand while making music but maybe that's just me.

Nice studio btw Tarekith. How you like the Lynx Hilo? It's nice but how is it compared to something like a UAD Apollo?
Also what are those 2 boxes underneath the laptop? And what kind of desk are you using? Also the monitors looks impressive what are they?
Lots of questions sorry, just don't see any of that gear too often. Very nice!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:28 am

hipdeejay wrote:Nice studio btw Tarekith. How you like the Lynx Hilo? It's nice but how is it compared to something like a UAD Apollo?
Also what are those 2 boxes underneath the laptop? And what kind of desk are you using? Also the monitors looks impressive what are they?
Lots of questions sorry, just don't see any of that gear too often. Very nice!
The Hilo is great, can't say enough good things about. Probably only a little less colored than the Apollo, but for what I do it matters.

The two boxes underneath are Monster 2500 and 3500 power conditioners, everything in the studio runs through those. The shelf they're mounted on is something I made. The desk is a bit of a custom job, it was originally this one:

http://jesperoffice.com/jesper-office-s ... nate-desks

But didn't take me long to realize the top was just too big for my studio, sounded terrible. So I made my own smaller top to replace the one it came with, and I also cut the metal supports to make it not as wide. And I had to make a new shelf for the power supplies, more details on the process here:

http://innerportalstudio.com/the-desk-job/

The speakers are custom Tyler Acoustic D2x's.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:23 pm

I don't see myself switching over to standing, but I'm seriously contemplating having a custom desk made next year, which would address all my studio needs at one time/ moving forward.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:10 am

Nice, how do you like standing vs sitting now? Do you alternate between the 2 or use it standing mostly?
I'm still considering whether to go sit/stand or to stay standing only. Any trouble focusing and really
diving into a track while standing?

Love the studio btw and how clean it is

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:25 am

I like both, it's nice being able to switch it up. I've always had a seperate standing area in my studios for DJing and live sets anyway, this just simplifies things. Never really had an issue focusing on music while standing up, though at the same time I wouldn't want to do it all the time either. I'm getting old, my legs are usually sore from mtn biking or snowboarding, so a break is nice now and then. :)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been thinking about maybe looking into a saddle-type chair, but I've got a feeling it would be pretty expensive - especially at that height, if one even exists.

I'm sure part of the problem with having a fixed-height standing desk is that it's a bit neither-nor; it will never be the perfect height for sitting or for standing.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun May 10, 2015 7:28 pm

Well, I've now given up on the standing desk. I made some research into ideal heights and such for standing and for sitting, and ultimately decided to lower the tabletop to a sitting height rather than forking up the cash for an expensive stool that may or may not be a hit. I've made some ergonomic changes that - so far - feel very beneficial. The only problem I've got is that the upper part of the Push is a bit too far away, so I have to really reach for the knobs. I guess, ideally, there should be a MIDI keyboard with a gap in the middle of the key lane to fit the Push! 8) I've been thinking of putting some additional rubber feet underneath the Push, around the middle, so that I could slide it out in front of the shelf it's on without any wobbling.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 10, 2015 8:27 pm

What about something like a keyboard tray? That would let you slide it out in front of you a bit more, provided you could anchor the back to make it sturdy enough. Nothing some decking screws can't take care of :)

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon May 11, 2015 8:17 pm

sporkles wrote:The only problem I've got is that the upper part of the Push is a bit too far away, so I have to really reach for the knobs.
Leaning forward too much to use a controller or to see the computer screen could cause issues for your back. I've had to adjust my setup a bit to avoid doing this.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue May 12, 2015 6:38 am

Yeah, I have been thinking of something like a keyboard tray, only more like a rail-thingy on top of the shelf rather than underneath (because, as you can see in the picture, I've got the shelf as low as I possibly could). Anyway, I think I'll start with some rubber pads and see how that works out.

Seamlessly integrating the Push in a studio setup has turned out to be a bit of a challenge. It wants to be the centrepiece, but that's kind of difficult when you've also got a traditional keyboard.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 12, 2015 7:15 am

Studio ergonomics are always tricky when it comes to music gear, been dealing with that for years now. These days I treat my desk more like a work bench, where I can quickly connect whatever i need when I need it, versus always leaving everything permanently wired in. I have a few bundles of all the power cables, plus USB and audio ones, hanging off the back of the desk, so I can plug something in and be using it in seconds. That way whatever I'm using is always front and center, and I'm always in the sweet spot for monitoring too.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue May 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Good idea. I think I'll run some cables in the same way. :wink:

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed May 13, 2015 10:14 pm

After a bit of a shuffle, I think I'm going to settle on this variant instead. It's more conducive to actually using Push 8)

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:25 pm

i made the racks, then stacked them on a wire rack i found in the alley. then put a tabletop and legs, and a shelf and legs from ikea parts. diy till i die.
i like writing dance music while standing because the whole point of dance music is to dance so you might as well move your body while writing it.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Nice!