removing user data from iTunes purchases?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
dazzer

removing user data from iTunes purchases?

Post by dazzer » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:26 am

Bought a couple of albums of iTunes, wondered why I'd avoided the service all these years.

BAM - tuns out purchased music is embedded with customer user information (name, email). Well fuck that.

Anyone know how to strip user info from iTunes purchases?

[searching shows up that it used to be quite easy ion the past but doesn't seem to be so now. Only suggestion I've seen (re-render into another lossy format or wav which then loses lots of convenience factors) I don't like]

beats me

Re: removing user data from iTunes purchases?

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Burn the tracks to CD, audio format, not data, and rip that back to your library.

Alternatively, you can tell whoever you're trying to give free copies to, to buy the tracks themselves. :wink:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:27 pm

beats me wrote: Alternatively, you can tell whoever you're trying to give free copies to, to buy the tracks themselves. :wink:
Seems like that would defeat the purpose, no?! :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:41 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote: Alternatively, you can tell whoever you're trying to give free copies to, to buy the tracks themselves. :wink:
Seems like that would defeat the purpose, no?! :lol:

Honestly, the only time this type of tagging would come into play is if you tried to give the track to somebody else and when they try to play it, it asks for the Apple ID password. Otherwise they play fine without issue including in DAW and DJ apps.

This is to keep one person from buying it and then sending it to their 100 closest friends. I get a little chuckle when music producers get upset when the industry puts some effort into staving off piracy to get more money to the artist (in theory). There’s plenty of artists on iTunes that aren’t backed by a massive money grubbing label.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:19 pm

I'm not stupid, I was just pedantic, since obviously telling the other guy to buy it achieves exactly the opposite of what he wanted to do in the first place ;-)

No further opinions or moral judgements were contained in that post :mrgreen:

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:54 am

Not intending to give anything to anyone but having hundreds of files on the computer with my personal data on serves me no purpose and should be treated with contempt. Extremely sucky if the only way I can do it is re-encode, no more iTunes (money) from me then.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:23 am

You're weird. :P

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:28 am

beats me wrote:You're weird. :P
That may well be true...

Does nobody else take this as a big deal? Literally, I make a compilation for someone and my email and name is embedded on the tunes. This seems fine to everyone else?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:25 pm

dazzer wrote:
beats me wrote:You're weird. :P
That may well be true...

Does nobody else take this as a big deal? Literally, I make a compilation for someone and my email and name is embedded on the tunes. This seems fine to everyone else?
Well, by now I got used to seeing your name and email on all my songs, so it would be kinda weird not having it there anymore :P

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:51 pm

dazzer wrote:Not intending to give anything to anyone
dazzer wrote: Literally, I make a compilation for someone

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:21 pm

TAPE

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:52 pm

infernal.machine wrote:
dazzer wrote:Not intending to give anything to anyone
dazzer wrote: Literally, I make a compilation for someone

:lol:

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:38 am

Nah, Da Hand was funny, but misunderstanding the difference between making a mix and the wholesale sharing I guess this is supposed to stop, not so.

I seriously can't believe you guys think this sort of DRM is acceptable. The old Ableton forum would have had something to say about it. b0unce would have given up Apple products in support of my campaign.

*shakes fist at entire planet*

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:45 am

dazzer wrote:Nah, Da Hand was funny, but misunderstanding the difference between making a mix and the wholesale sharing I guess this is supposed to stop, not so.

I seriously can't believe you guys think this sort of DRM is acceptable. The old Ableton forum would have had something to say about it. b0unce would have given up Apple products in support of my campaign.

*shakes fist at entire planet*
I sympatize, but then I'm the tin foil wearing nut job in these parts ;-)

And I do believe that these sort of personal mix tapes, even if you share them with one or two others, are covered under the Fair Use doctrine.

RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:51 pm

they play fine without issue including in DAW and DJ apps.
That's not strictly true in my experience.

To be 100% certain files play and metadata is processed correctly the user needs Quicktime (iTunes) installed on the machine.

That's not going to be an issue for many folks hereabouts because they mostly use iGear and Quicktime is a prerequisite of Live even on a windows box.

It does mean that anyone running sophisticated audio software must have Apple software on their kit whether they want it of not.