Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:50 pm

beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote: Don’t prattle on about some overly elaborate multi-plugin work around. :x
I won't, I just use Speakerphone for this sort of thing. 8)
Glad it's back for you noise plebs though. :x
Let’s see. Free vs. $500. :x I know you got it on the cheap but it rarely is and dropping that kind of loot on an effects plugin would move it from “no purpose” to “must use on every track”.

Played a bit with Vinyl last night. Expect a lot of my tracks to feature samples and loops from dusty and warped 1930’s and 50’s vinyl, except they’re not. 8O Only real issue is it keeps playing vinyl noise even when your track isn’t playing. Kind of an odd behavior I don’t think anybody would ever want.
I did get it cheap(er), and use it a lot so for me anyway it was worth the $200 I paid for it. The plebs thing was supposed to let you know I was messing around. :x
I remember there used to be a setting for Vinyl that turned it off when no audio was going through it, but it's been years.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:20 pm

$200, you lucky bastard. I didn’t know what a pleb is until now. :x

I’ll have to revisit the UI for some kind of off button for when music isn’t playing. Kind of stupid though. It’s like a softsynth that always produces stuck notes unless you tell it not to do that.

I think the vinyl stop button is also new and a nice touch. There’s more to it than just a pitch shift down but I think there aren’t any parameters for you to adjust. But I wonder if its tempo synced.

Another novelty feature is if you click unscrew the virtual screws in each corner, 2 top and 1 at the bottom the panel swings open showing the innards with a post-it that shows the developer information. Reminds me of Reason’s virtual cables which was about the only thing I found interesting and good about Reason.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:24 pm

beats me wrote: Reminds me of Reason’s virtual cables which was about the only thing I found interesting and good about Reason.
Reason 1.0 user here, great program. Sure in the last 15 years everything has passed it up, but in 2001 I was rewiring Reason into DP2.7 and getting multiple VI's out of a G4 400Mhz machine. 8)

Oh, and it was a Logic Users Group buy that got Speakerphone down that low when it first came out.

aisling

Post by aisling » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:49 am

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote: Reminds me of Reason’s virtual cables which was about the only thing I found interesting and good about Reason.
Reason 1.0 user here, great program. Sure in the last 15 years everything has passed it up, but in 2001 I was rewiring Reason into DP2.7 and getting multiple VI's out of a G4 400Mhz machine. 8)

Oh, and it was a Logic Users Group buy that got Speakerphone down that low when it first came out.
The irony is that back in the day for that g4 400Mhz, I think my track count was not that far from what I get today with my i7 quad core.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:19 pm

I started my computer music on Master Tracks Pro (MIDI only app) and then moved to Cubase for audio recording those MIDI songs. When I tried Reason (whichever version it was on at the time) it was an unintuitive mess given my background in other DAWs. I might understand it now but I’m no longer interested.

Which brings me to other DAW accolades in this thread. As impressive as some other DAWs look and sound, that’s where I draw the line on my no purpose spending. I already have 2 DAWs I’m not using to their deepest potential. I don’t need a 3rd. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:52 pm

beats me wrote:I started my computer music on Master Tracks Pro (MIDI only app) and then moved to Cubase for audio recording those MIDI songs. When I tried Reason (whichever version it was on at the time) it was an unintuitive mess given my background in other DAWs. I might understand it now but I’m no longer interested.

Which brings me to other DAW accolades in this thread. As impressive as some other DAWs look and sound, that’s where I draw the line on my no purpose spending. I already have 2 DAWs I’m not using to their deepest potential. I don’t need a 3rd. :x
Reason was/is easy as hell if you ever used a hardware rack of gear.

And yes, yes you do need another DAW you never use, if I have to buy a copy of Logic to get old songs going and to work with all the "It Just Works" crowd who never look at other DAWs on mac, then at least Someone else I know should also have to keep up with three DAWs! :x

I came so dammed close to buying Bitwig the other day, someone was selling it for $180... :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:47 pm

I was on the fence for a while with Bitwig too but then read about some deal breakers I don’t remember at this time and then Ableton had their holiday upgrade discount and I decided to go with the devil I know.

Can’t wait to maybe fire it up and use it. I’ll get around to it. Maybe. As I said before, I see my upgrade payment as more of long overdue forum rent. Archiving my posts officially became a line item on Ableton's expense ledger this year. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:27 am

Bundles, I'm a sucker, as of now I have:
Komplete Ultimate
Ohm Force All
Sound Toys 5
Arturia V Collection
Nomad Factory Integral Bundle
XilS Labs synth bundle
Waldorf Edition
Lexicon LXP
Not to mention discounts for owning some of x product. (Fabfilter, PSP, Cakewalketc.)
So of course this gives you "incredible deals" but mostly a lot of plug ins in your folders that you will probably never use.

Some day I will cull these for the plug ins I actually use. :x

Emanresu0891

Post by Emanresu0891 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:26 am

Tarekith wrote:Logic is just painful for serious audio work now,:
Logic is painful for any work now. Composing simple edits its a bug fest.

Try adding a drummer track with the drummer "leah" or any electronic drummer
Now add the defualt drummer track "kyle"
now within the new drummer track "Kyle" click on one of the regions/clips and watch it copy itself to the first drummer track "Leah".
What type of behavior is that?

Now go to the apple support forums.
Type in your bug
click submit
nothing happens
You cant even submit a bug report.

Of course this is just one bug of many that anyone is sure to encounter within logic while trying to compose a song.

I also get this alot...When browsing through Alchemy presets logic will open a finder window wanting me to search for the preset.

Im done with Logic. When using logic I am always thinking 'is this a bug? is this a feature?.. It sure feels like a bug'

Back to pulling my hair out with Lives arrange view I guess.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:39 pm

I’ve used Logic exclusively for years now and rarely encounter a bug, but I also don’t try to use multiple drummer tracks and haven’t played around too much with Alchemy. When using a drummer track I usually either drag to a MIDI track asap for editing, or commit a part I like to audio.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Bundles, I'm a sucker, as of now I have:
Komplete Ultimate
Ohm Force All
Sound Toys 5
Arturia V Collection
Nomad Factory Integral Bundle
XilS Labs synth bundle
Waldorf Edition
Lexicon LXP
Not to mention discounts for owning some of x product. (Fabfilter, PSP, Cakewalketc.)
So of course this gives you "incredible deals" but mostly a lot of plug ins in your folders that you will probably never use.

Some day I will cull these for the plug ins I actually use. :x

Got the Sound Toys bundle during the holidays discount. Really have no idea how they really work but I enjoy chaining them up and seeing what happens.

Also got the Waves Silver (or whatever the cheapest bundle is) on the holiday discount, although I’m leaning towards its always on discount. Really just wanted the delay but then it wasn’t that much less than the bundle. I’m discovering there are other specific Waves plugins I’d like to check out but they are mostly only part of the insanely expensive bundles or bundled with 3 or 4 other plugins I don’t really want. Guess I’ll just be monitoring there every Saturday and Sunday random plugin 24 hour discounts. I wish they would be a little more like Fabfilter can give you discounts based on what you already own and occasionally offer further discounts.

I'll probably continue my yearly KU upgrade on summer discount for 50% off. During the previous year there are usually a handful of libraries or upgrades I'd be interested in and with the KU upgrade I can get all of them for just a little more than if I bought just 1 directly. This year so far it would be India, Una Corda, and the Reaktor upgrade. That would be about $350 purchasing directly, $200 on the summer KU upgrade discount, plus whatever other libraries I probably forgot about this year.

Emanresu0891

Post by Emanresu0891 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:50 pm

How do you guys get the stamina to mess with sound? It seems like you guys must be very dedicated.
Some times I open up live or logic and think "no god, please not again"
I have an ms-20 mini sitting next to my desk being used mostly as art. I look at it and think 'your pretty and i know you want some attention, but thats just too much work'

I have an audio interface with multi ins and outs and have only used one instrument jack.
I have several midi controllers sitting against the wall collecting yellow on the keys while I use only my korg nano controllers because I can take them to my bed like a slob.
My studio monitors almost never get turned on and are being used as candle stands.

I bought a canon t4i a couple years ago with the intention of making music videos, but when I take it out people automatically recognize it as a camera and start honking their car horns or try to get in the shot. They don't do this with my cell phone.

I hope Im not bringing anyone down here. I really do think its great that people can have such dedication.

I do use my bass a lot though! Probably because its a semi new instrument and a new challenge. What I like about the bass is you have to think like a drummer and a guitarist to get it to sound good... Its actually making get into different genres of music.

I was watching an interview with phantogram and they were talking about sampling so it made me think 'get a machine!!!.. thats what you need!' Then I remembered my attempt at making a track from sampling Boz Scaggs, Cyndi Lauper and Madonna.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:27 pm

I just learned that if I eventually try enough times, something will stick that I like. There's TONS of days I start working in the studio and I'm just not feeling it. I'll give it 10-15 minutes, and if it's still not happening, I'm cool walking away. Then I try again a couple hours later, or the next day, or a few days later, whatever. The point is to just keep trying.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:02 pm

Mostly if I'm not in the mood to write, there's always something to learn. The Beaty of this is learning a new thing about Live or Maschine or Falcon or xyz VSTi is inspiring. You end up wanting to write something.

Sometimes it's the other way around, sitting down to really learn a plug in or DAW etc. you wnd up writing something. The point is to stay involved in the process, if the process is what you love.

On the other hand bass players that aren't frustrated guitar players are about the best thing ever! so run with that!

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:42 pm

My main hang-up is getting about ½ to 2/3 in length into a song and I’m no longer interested or stuck, but that’s also partially due to being mentally attached to traditional song structure. I think I need to let that go of that though because then I’ll actually be done with the tracks and traditional song structure in electronica seems to be thrown out the window at this point. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve bought tracks based on a background listen and when I give it a more focused listen the part I really like doesn’t happen all that often in the track and the track is a lot shorter than I remember it.

To my taste a lot of current electronica tracks could be played twice in a row and that would make it a full track. But I also realize most people don’t have the attention span to listen to a track for more than 2 minutes tops. So why push it much longer past that.

When you're stale just buy more music gear and software. :)