Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
stringtapper

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by stringtapper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:07 pm

Machinesworking wrote:On the other hand bass players that aren't frustrated guitar players are about the best thing ever!
I've always hated the guitar. Too tied up into popularity and image, and the standard tuning/playing style boxes people into composing certain ways that get regurgitated ad infinitum.

Never even tried to play one until about five years ago. Been playing bass for 25 years. The Stick was my "guitar."
Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:02 am

stringtapper wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:On the other hand bass players that aren't frustrated guitar players are about the best thing ever!
I've always hated the guitar. Too tied up into popularity and image, and the standard tuning/playing style boxes people into composing certain ways that get regurgitated ad infinitum.

Never even tried to play one until about five years ago. Been playing bass for 25 years. The Stick was my "guitar."
Funny, I always figured my reasons for hating a track or liking it revolved around either guitar or keys. A song could have great or horrible bass but that doesn't always break the song, but if the high end parts bother me I'm done. Also writing wise, guitar and keyboard just naturally have an advantage there. I always figured people gravitate towards the instrument they least like to hear done wrong. Well, and all the hacks out there playing rock guitar because bitches dig it!

I don't think the instrument or the tuning is to blame for certain compositional styles that rock music etc. does. Let's put it this way. My temporary roommate plays goth industrial. One day he's on the porch listening to some internet radio to digest the styles that DJs are playing these days. That's completely against my nature, sure it makes sense on a business level, but it goes against everything I like about music.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:16 pm

So I finally opened up Live 9.whatever-is-current to drag in a 45 minute file and isolate and loop a 7 second section. Dragging it in gave me the endless beach ball. So I did it in 8 without issue. :)

It’s also been so long since I used Live that I forgot you have to highlight all the tracks and then export. My first export attempt with nothing selected was a 1 second blip. :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:05 pm

The world needs more of these

Build and sound quality aside, I’m talking footprint. It’s the perfect size to sit on the wasted space at the top left or right of full range keyboards. I don’t need another 2 octave keyboard attached I don’t have room for just to access the sounds and parameters. :x

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:32 pm

I ordered a Meeblip Anode. It’s even smaller, much cheaper and seems to sound pretty nice. My plan is to compose entire tracks (including chords with multiple takes) using only sounds from it. Limitations make creative I hear. :mrgreen:

But first I actually have to receive it. It’s been stuck at customs for the last 3 days. :x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:20 pm

^ Got one last year during the promotional release sale and I love it.
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:33 pm

I saw you can program them with just your browser now, that's interesting.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Did you all see that iZotope have a new delay plugin that's free for a month? Hands down worst UI ever, but the concept, dynamic delay, is cool.

aisling

Post by aisling » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:22 am

I'll be getting a powered subwoofer any day now to round out my "PA," this way I can play my moog synths and get a full spectrum of sound, all the while driving my dog (my only probable audience at the moment) to the point of desertion....
Oh and a EHX C9 organ machine guitar effects pedal...
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:57 pm

From about Thanksgiving through the beginning of January I was getting all those 15 – 20% off coupons from Guitar Center while thinking at the time too bad I’m not interested in any hardware, but now I’m intrigued by these dainty sound boxes. :?

But just got a Presidents Day weekend 15% off coupon from Guitar Center, but I’m reflecting on all the money I spent on software over the holidays. :?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Kind of regretted not taking advantage of the holiday 50% off discount on Heavyocity libraries, but starting yesterday until March 3rd NI is having 50% off on all their libraries, only though NI, not directly through Heavyocity. I grabbed all 3 of their ensemble percussion libraries. I’m on board with this now that I started building my orchestral library some weeks ago.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:50 pm

I watched a tutorial this morning on how to make a certain sound with Spire. The video is 13 minutes long. The first 7 minutes is watching the guy draw in notes and moving them around to make his chord loop. I shit you not. Seriously, WTF? :x :x

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:08 pm

aisling wrote:I'll be getting a powered subwoofer any day now to round out my "PA," this way I can play my moog synths and get a full spectrum of sound, all the while driving my dog (my only probable audience at the moment) to the point of desertion....
purchased the qsc ksub and moog minifooger chorus pedal. :|
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:18 am

aisling wrote:
aisling wrote:I'll be getting a powered subwoofer any day now to round out my "PA," this way I can play my moog synths and get a full spectrum of sound, all the while driving my dog (my only probable audience at the moment) to the point of desertion....
purchased the qsc ksub and moog minifooger chorus pedal. :|
your :| implies you're not happy...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:46 am

beats me wrote:I watched a tutorial this morning on how to make a certain sound with Spire. The video is 13 minutes long. The first 7 minutes is watching the guy draw in notes and moving them around to make his chord loop. I shit you not. Seriously, WTF? :x :x
If youtube, X2 speed is such a great thing.