Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sporkles

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by sporkles » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:07 pm

beats me wrote:Kind of regretted not taking advantage of the holiday 50% off discount on Heavyocity libraries, but starting yesterday until March 3rd NI is having 50% off on all their libraries, only though NI, not directly through Heavyocity. I grabbed all 3 of their ensemble percussion libraries. I’m on board with this now that I started building my orchestral library some weeks ago.
Yeah, I was thinking of maybe getting Gravity after all now, but I recently discovered Dronar at Time+Space. It seems like it's operating in the same territory, but at a fraction of the price, even when Gravity is 50% off...

I might grab the Ensemble Metals now that it's discounted, as I already have the first two ensemble volumes, and possibly the Vocalise pack.

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:25 pm

H20nly wrote:
aisling wrote:
aisling wrote:I'll be getting a powered subwoofer any day now to round out my "PA," this way I can play my moog synths and get a full spectrum of sound, all the while driving my dog (my only probable audience at the moment) to the point of desertion....
Oh and a EHX C9 organ machine guitar effects pedal...
purchased the qsc ksub and moog minifooger chorus pedal. :|
your :| implies you're not happy...
No i'm happy, but wish I had more inner calm and not always feeling inadequate that a new piece of gear will solve.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:10 pm

aisling wrote: No i'm happy, but wish I had more inner calm and not always feeling inadequate that a new piece of gear will solve.
Great thing to think about, and I definitely go through that with every purchase. I have to ask myself if I'm buying something, will it make my life easier and it really will benefit the process? or am I just feeling stuck musically and filling that creative gap with things?

Sometimes it is replacing an existing item with something that just works so well that you get a lot more satisfaction and produce more etc. I guess examples would be dedicated EQs for me, DMG Equilibrium is so easy to use and has so many tools for doing surgical EQ work that I have no issue with the fact I already have good EQs. Other times I feel like I'm chasing ghosts, the magic drum machine VSTi I like for instance.

I have most definitely stopped myself from purchasing gear because I realized it was redundant.
I also have to do a VST clearing house soon because I didn't stop myself. :x

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
aisling wrote: No i'm happy, but wish I had more inner calm and not always feeling inadequate that a new piece of gear will solve.
Great thing to think about, and I definitely go through that with every purchase. I have to ask myself if I'm buying something, will it make my life easier and it really will benefit the process? or am I just feeling stuck musically and filling that creative gap with things?

Sometimes it is replacing an existing item with something that just works so well that you get a lot more satisfaction and produce more etc. I guess examples would be dedicated EQs for me, DMG Equilibrium is so easy to use and has so many tools for doing surgical EQ work that I have no issue with the fact I already have good EQs. Other times I feel like I'm chasing ghosts, the magic drum machine VSTi I like for instance.

I have most definitely stopped myself from purchasing gear because I realized it was redundant.
I also have to do a VST clearing house soon because I didn't stop myself. :x
Great points brought up. I think the reality at the present moment is that I'm buying gear because I am at a point in my life with career and family requirements, that I am essentially stuck musically, and am filling the creative gap with gear because I am finally at a point in my life where I make enough to allow me a guilt free budget to spend on gear, instead of my earlier incarnation of a starving musician, buying on credit, etc...
In my geographical area, not many guys over 40 are wanting to do off the beaten path of rock/classic rock, blues, bro-metal, and such. Not a lot of takers when I want to just start twiddling knobs and manipulating time-based/filter/modulation, instead of a note for note or "blistering solo".

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:45 am

aisling wrote:Proper ergonomic sitting posture
Now, that at least seems like a good investment! :lol: Where can I get one?

Seriously. My biggest challenge when I'm actually finding time for writing music is that I can't seem to sit comfortably.

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:09 pm

sporkles wrote:
aisling wrote:Proper ergonomic sitting posture
Now, that at least seems like a good investment! :lol: Where can I get one?

Seriously. My biggest challenge when I'm actually finding time for writing music is that I can't seem to sit comfortably.
I use a 75cm exercise ball. I bounce on it, I roll around on it, I lay over it and stretch, I lay on it and stretch, I forces me to be attuned to my posture because you don't have the back of a chair to slouch into. Ergonomic posture is an active process, not a passive one, don't expect to be comfortable sitting for hours upon end, because sitting for so long is unnatural, and your body is trying to tell you to move around and be active 8)

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:39 pm

Upgraded from Trash 1 to Trash 2 this weekend. I was willing to do it for the advertised $50 but it went down to $25 for some unknown reason. :)

Just saw Splice Sounds has 2 Daft Punk themed packs named Daft Funk 1 and 2, with a total of over 2,000 samples. That’s going to be fun to sift through for the gems to download. And I don’t care if French House isn’t currently a thing or that Daft Punk no longer sounds like Daft Punk. I’m sure there are going to be some sweet beats and disco stabs in there. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:48 pm

beats me wrote: And I don’t care if French House isn’t currently a thing or that Daft Punk no longer sounds like Daft Punk. I’m sure there are going to be some sweet beats and disco stabs in there. :x
I gravitate towards dance music kicks even though I don't really do dance music. Rules are for people who want their music to blend in... :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:38 am

I just pulled the plug on Limitless, an insanely powerful Limiter from DMG Audio. $167 early adopter price ending in a few hours.

Couldn't pass it up, even though I have PSP Xeon, Elephant and Fabfilter Pro L. For whatever reasons I get better results with Limitless.
Definitely need to sell those in order to justify this, but I have to say I don't feel that bad. DMG aren't cheap plug ins but I haven't been disappointed yet.
Best GUI's usability wise on the market by far.

If there's anything I'm guilty of it's buying multiple of the same plug in until I'm happy, as evidenced by my search for a mastering limiter I like. :?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:32 am

which one of the those for sale is your mostest favorite?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:06 am

Pro-L! :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:36 am

Tarekith nailed it. :) Honestly they're all good. Xeon does a lot of things that in truth I'm not that up on, Elephant is nicely strait forward, and Pro L is clean clean clean.
I have to say though if you'r looking to not make a brick, Elephant and Pro L are visually better than Xeon which has no waveform display. Xeon might be better served for someone whose done actual classes on mixing and mastering as opposed to learning through reading and youtube etc. Limitless is like a combo of all three, 2 stage limiting like Xeon, multiple types like Pro L and friendly saturation like Elephant. Plus both the waveform displays of Pro L and Elephant.

Pro L is the most transparent, but honestly I'm not going to ask much for Elelphant because it's an upgrade behind. Also I bought it used as a bundle with Pro C and Pro G, and I don't want to give up either of those. Got to ask Fabfilter about transferring etc.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote: And I don’t care if French House isn’t currently a thing or that Daft Punk no longer sounds like Daft Punk. I’m sure there are going to be some sweet beats and disco stabs in there. :x
I gravitate towards dance music kicks even though I don't really do dance music. Rules are for people who want their music to blend in... :x

For anything other than blatant acoustic kicks I just use the Kick plugin for kicks. Does all the heavy lifting for you – up to 3 layers with the usual kick element types and tunable across the ADRS by showing actual note names and not farting around with cents and semitone maths. Still unsure why you’d want a kick that starts on an A#2 and ends on a D0, but that type thing is available.

In other news Splice Sounds added a nifty little 8 slot sample player at the bottom of the browser that you can bang away at with your qwerty keyboard (A – K). You just drag in a sample you like from the site and it remains in that slot while you browse their gazillion available samples. Swap out samples to taste. Once you create a kit you like there’s a download button to the right that will download all the samples from the filled slots. I have no clue what would make up the ideal Trap kit if you asked but with this method just browse the Trap sample libraries, drop the samples you like in the slots, and done. :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:33 pm

So I downloaded a bunch of stabs from the Daft Funk sample libraries and I think given my main tools (Logic, Maschine, and Live) for easiest use it would be best to put them each on a Maschine pad in a group because it’s a 1 click process to have instant chromatic access to each sample. Only real problem is the usual attempting to use Maschine in another DAW. Any other suggestions? I don’t think there’s anything as elegantly simple as Maschine’s process for this purpose.

I just wish it had sample warping like the new Simpler because I’m going to have sample length issues. Don’t know if Maschine is able to keep the same length regardless of pitch played.

Yes, I realize there are all kinds of reasons this post doesn’t belong in this thread other than once I get the kit setup I probably won’t use it anyway. So file it under "elaborate setups for no purpose". :x

pskept

Post by pskept » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:05 pm

never. what is this a modular forum? ;)