Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by beats me » Thu May 26, 2016 4:38 pm

Nope. $799.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu May 26, 2016 5:02 pm

beats me wrote:…I don’t like being tethered to payment plans even if they are interest free.
That's pretty much the only way I buy gear these days. I budget the amount of payments that will get each item paid off before the interest kicks in and just think of it as another bill like utilities. My balance is down to just under the value of the last item I bought and I don't have any big gear wants on the horizon, so for me it's working.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 26, 2016 5:10 pm

I can get it on Sweetwater with the 8 payment plan for $100 a month, but 8 months feels like an eternity. You’re talking to a guy who pays off his credit card in full every Friday. More than a week of debt feels unacceptable to me. :x

Getting paid every other week means twice a year I get an extra paycheck between rent checks. That’s usually when I may make a larger music purchase but that isn’t happening again until September. :x

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu May 26, 2016 5:34 pm

beats me wrote:Nope. $799.
Wow, it's unusual to see something more expensive in the USA than the UK. here a Push 2 is £499 off the Ableton shop, and I guess that equates to $730 USD

I wish I had a surplus of money to speculatively throw £500 at a controller device, but I've spent the last couple of years being chronically poor. Life and my crumbly house & van just eat my cash. With my finances the way they are I consider the lifespan and usage of such devices quite intensely. I look at a £500 Push2 against something like a £500 guitar and the guitar has better longevity and flexibility.
Push seems so closely tied to a certain type of music ("making beats" / "slicing loops"), and the implementation so limited that users are constantly having to find workarounds (the browser, the VST mapping, etc, etc.) Everything I've seen of it has suggested it's been created for a very specific type of user, and even that type of user has to make compromises.

Perhaps I should try one out on a 30 day return, but it seems not a product for old skint arseholes like me.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu May 26, 2016 5:47 pm

I never jumped on Push for the same reasons. Push 2 got me a little more interested, but not enough to go for it.

My music making with computers has become more of an experimental affair. I make a fixed media piece every once in a while, but performing with a computer hasn't gotten me excited in quite a while.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Just logged into the Ableton site to see if I can get Push 2 for cheaper because I already own Live 9, but no dice. $700 would sound a lot more tempting than $800, especially if I could get some discount on top of that.

As far as Push 2’s limitations, I have very few demands of most controllers, but I know Live users try to pull off some insane shit. With my comparison to Maschine Studio I would mostly want to use it for programming beats and for sample editing. Some basic clip and scene launching would be nice too. Using it like a keyboard can also be a fun gimmick. I’m not trying to avoid using the mouse at all costs. Simple and smooth third party plugin integration would be nice also but don’t know of any other controller that does that really well either.

Maschine Studio is more expensive than Push 2 but using the software without the controller is just plain silly. Push 2 is spending a lot of money just to make some things a little quicker in Live.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 pm

beats me wrote:but I know Live users try to pull off some insane shit.
Hello!

Is there any way to set up a midi (or keyboardbutton) key to load devices?
For Example, a Instrument rack or Audi effect preset and wehn i trigger a pad on my launchpad Live load the Device in the active track.
That would help me alot
Thx and Sorry for the bad English.. i hope u understand
What, why?? :x

But apparently you can with some third party app. So f me and my why. Some users think this is a need. :x

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu May 26, 2016 10:15 pm

Eh? You don't see why people would want to load devices?

That's a core function of Push !

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 27, 2016 5:55 am

beats me wrote: Push 2 is spending a lot of money just to make some things a little quicker in Live.
I don't thnk it's about making it quicker so much as just giving your a more physical way of doing it. It's a bit different approach from the Studio for sure, but still very much worth it I find. Selling my studio in fact, as I'm always reaching for Push 2 instead these days.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri May 27, 2016 7:39 am

no way, just when they swear they are about to fix that thing (software)

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri May 27, 2016 10:35 am

I’m still on the fence about actually keeping my Push 2. I love the idea, the build quality and the fact that it will probably get a lot of cool new features and updates from Ableton in the future but I’m not really a live musician or performer and every time I try to use it I just end up like f**k it and use my mouse and KB instead. :(

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Angstrom wrote:Eh? You don't see why people would want to load devices?

That's a core function of Push !
:P

I was picturing a live or recording performance scenario where they’d want to spontaneously insert a reverb or delay instead of just having them on the damn track ahead of time. You know, like live inserting effects really helps the vibe in the moment.

Browsing and inserting effects on a controller that has a screen to reference makes sense. Not as much on a controller that doesn’t. But again, not my need so I don’t get it and therefor it’s wrong. Refer to the 1997 Internet bylaws. I also can’t wrap my ahead around people wanting a grid of pads to have 30 different functions...which they can have. :|

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:
beats me wrote: Push 2 is spending a lot of money just to make some things a little quicker in Live.
I don't thnk it's about making it quicker so much as just giving your a more physical way of doing it. It's a bit different approach from the Studio for sure, but still very much worth it I find. Selling my studio in fact, as I'm always reaching for Push 2 instead these days.

I big hesitation for me has also been you really have to be all in on Live for Push 2. In theory more than practice for me, a big selling point for Maschine Studio is you can use it in any DAW or standalone.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 27, 2016 5:13 pm

What Starving Student and beats me said.

Mostly Live isn't getting any less of a cpu pig anytime soon, and Digital Performer is due for a major improvement cpu and buffer latency wise, as in easily three times more efficient! This is going to come in as really helpful due to some huge hog string libraries I own!
Maschine transfers to othe DAWs easily, and apparently a new update is around the corner.

Side note, I complain about Maschine and stick by it, tarekith talks about how fun Maschine is then sells it! :lol: