Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by beats me » Thu May 28, 2015 3:21 pm

Sonic Academy Kick. Fucking awesome.

http://www.sonicacademy.com/kick

Tune the kick within the plugin at different intervals of the ADSR. You can also add a tick sample *a ton included or use your own) with a separate volume level so no need to layer kicks. Keymap option if you want to play it melodically. EQ, sub volume, distortion, drive. All good shit. At $40, a no brainer.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu May 28, 2015 3:38 pm

beats me wrote:Sonic Academy Kick. Fucking awesome.

Tune the kick within the plugin at different intervals of the ADSR.
Isn't that what any pitch envelope does?!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu May 28, 2015 4:03 pm

:lol:

NOT TO THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW THAT, TOM

or what an ADSR is...

A Deadly Surreptitious Rash
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 28, 2015 4:07 pm

TomViolenz wrote:

You’re missing the total picture.

For one thing EDM producers are constantly being told to stack kicks.

1. Body of the kick
2. Tick (high end sample at the initial attack, could even be a hat snippet)
3. Sub

That’s 3 fricken samples. And you shouldn’t just stack them and call it a day. You should isolate the area of the sample for each of those 3 things and delete the rest. Not to mention flipping through all those samples to find the perfect combo. This plugin alleviates the need to do any of that.

I know Live users love to “Pfft. I could do the exact same thing with a super rack consisting of 15 native plugins” but that’s not how I operate. I’m distracted enough without engineering something from scratch that a plugin makes elegantly simple.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu May 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Just use this http://www.synapse-audio.com/ekspro.html or lift a sample of an already stacked kick!
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Alternatives always welcomed, but I’m satisfied with my find. :)

I should mention I think my kicks are one of the weakest points in my production while probably being one of the most important parts to today’s ears. Fuck it, I’ll slop on a banging vengeance sample and leave it at that. For my part it’s been one part not giving a shit and one part 8O :| :x when reviewing the things you should do if one were to give a shit. This plugin made it all make sense to me and makes it simple.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Heavyocity is dropping another one their NOT FUCKING SUBTLE IN THE SLIGHTEST Kontakt libraries in June. Can’t post the teaser video from work but I have no clue what it’s going to be, just a montage of 3D rendered GUI flashing across the screen to get you pumped for I don’t fucking know. It will be quality though.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri May 29, 2015 7:16 am

Regarding kick drum plugins, I use BigKick by Plugin Boutique myself, and I think it's great to be able to fine-tune the kick throughout the production process. I don't quite see why people are getting all high-brow about this - tools for making arguably already simple tasks even simpler exist all around us, and the audio/music production world is definitely no exception. To a hobbyist, tools like that mean more time making music instead of wasting time on more convoluted methods. To a professional, it means getting the job done quickly enough to satisfy the customer and/or pay the bills.

I think it's great that among all the overly hyped stuff that's released, useful little tools like these pop up.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri May 29, 2015 7:40 am

Hmm, yeah I'm always curious when Heavyocity announce something new. I was a little thrown off by the Aeon stuff - that seemed a little OTT to me - kind of like "Aeon - everything you need to make your music sound like you're hip to the latest Heavyocity ware!"

I absolutely love their percussion libraries, though, and I've got Damage, DM-307 and their Master Sessions libraries. Admittedly, I've hardly opened DM-307 since I got it (if I remember correctly, I had passed on it in one sale, and then the "OMG! What if this is the last chance to get it discounted?" moment hit me when it came on sale again). I can be a bit of a sucker in that regard, but I rarely buy audio software at full price.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri May 29, 2015 9:35 am

beats me wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:

You’re missing the total picture.

For one thing EDM producers are constantly being told to stack kicks.

1. Body of the kick
2. Tick (high end sample at the initial attack, could even be a hat snippet)
3. Sub

That’s 3 fricken samples. And you shouldn’t just stack them and call it a day. You should isolate the area of the sample for each of those 3 things and delete the rest. Not to mention flipping through all those samples to find the perfect combo. This plugin alleviates the need to do any of that.

I know Live users love to “Pfft. I could do the exact same thing with a super rack consisting of 15 native plugins” but that’s not how I operate. I’m distracted enough without engineering something from scratch that a plugin makes elegantly simple.
And I think you were missing the intent of my question. It was honest 8)
So again: isn't differential tuning of differnt parts along an ADSR envelope just a fancy word for a pitch envelope?!

And I didn't mean to discount the plug at all. Even if you could do something similar in Live already, if it shaves of only half the time of doing it and is more fun in the process, then it's more than worth the 40 bucks IMO.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 29, 2015 12:06 pm

sporkles wrote:Hmm, yeah I'm always curious when Heavyocity announce something new. I was a little thrown off by the Aeon stuff - that seemed a little OTT to me - kind of like "Aeon - everything you need to make your music sound like you're hip to the latest Heavyocity ware!"

I absolutely love their percussion libraries, though, and I've got Damage, DM-307 and their Master Sessions libraries. Admittedly, I've hardly opened DM-307 since I got it (if I remember correctly, I had passed on it in one sale, and then the "OMG! What if this is the last chance to get it discounted?" moment hit me when it came on sale again). I can be a bit of a sucker in that regard, but I rarely buy audio software at full price.

Get ready for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGk_zqThgqw

I don't know. :|

Evolving rhythmic drones seem to be all the rage right now so I'm going to go with that.

DM-307 is next in my queue, always felt the price is a bit much and the discounts I've seen aren't substantial, but the more I see about it the more I like and industrial stuff takes me back to my roots. Plus if you have Damage you can access the content in DM-307.

I really need to wrap my head around the Aeon stuff. It isn't obvious how to make sounds your own and it is so easy to just pick a great sounding preset but then you feel like you're lazy and the world is going "Check out Heavyocity boy!" I'm sure once you understand their methods it should translate to all their libraries. We probably hear their libraries in more film scores than we realize because the pros have the customization sorted.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 29, 2015 1:49 pm

TomViolenz wrote: And I think you were missing the intent of my question. It was honest 8)
So again: isn't differential tuning of differnt parts along an ADSR envelope just a fancy word for a pitch envelope?!

And I didn't mean to discount the plug at all. Even if you could do something similar in Live already, if it shaves of only half the time of doing it and is more fun in the process, then it's more than worth the 40 bucks IMO.
I can still be a bit of a noob with things and sometimes it takes a developer to make a feature front and center dead obvious for me to see what it does in other plugins. :oops: I don’t know what half DAW’s built-in plugins do or how to use them properly. What clicked with me is showing the actual music note as you drag and not having to do some frequency to note math.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri May 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Well I doubt the developers were thinking they were being fancy using ADSR;could've just been the choice at the time or even derped on calling it 'pitch'. It's an envelope, i think yer being too fussy on this. Have a Werther's
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri May 29, 2015 2:08 pm

beats me wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: And I think you were missing the intent of my question. It was honest 8)

I can still be a bit of a noob with things and sometimes it takes a developer to make a feature front and center dead obvious for me to see what it does in other plugins. :oops: I don’t know what half DAW’s built-in plugins do or how to use them properly. What clicked with me is showing the actual music note as you drag and not having to do some frequency to note math.
I was just wondering if it's something else they do.
Btw. pitch envelopes usually work in semitone steps and percentages thereof not frequency. So though it won't tell you the note it still provides a straightforward way to determine it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 29, 2015 3:10 pm

shadx312 wrote:Well I doubt the developers were thinking they were being fancy using ADSR;could've just been the choice at the time or even derped on calling it 'pitch'. It's an envelope, i think yer being too fussy on this. Have a Werther's
I’m not being too fussy. Just explaining. It’s just a kick drum plugin, not really much to implement. Although I’m sure some developers probably went crazy with that simple task.

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:

I was just wondering if it's something else they do.
Btw. pitch envelopes usually work in semitone steps and percentages thereof not frequency. So though it won't tell you the note it still provides a straightforward way to determine it.

From what I’ve seen of determining the pitch of a sample you run it through an analyzer or EQ with an analyzer, find the peak frequency, and if it doesn’t display the actual note then you need to bust out a chart like this, if you don’t have it committed to memory.

Then toss on some pitch adjuster or enveloper and fuck around with semitones which won’t show you the notes.

This plugin just shows C#1 (or whatever) and then you just drag it to F2 (or whatever). None of the above necessary.