Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Tarekith wrote:I’m trying really hard to hold out on the new Maschine v3, NI did a really nice job with that a well.
I have Mashine Studio. Looks like the same thing pretty much with a smaller footprint. Honestly I've always just wanted the screens and functionality of Mashine Studio on a keyboard. Don't really need the drum pads.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:03 pm

I've had and sold the Studio twice now, so my track record isn't too good with these :)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:58 pm

beats me wrote: Also a big gap is Serum, arguably the top soft synth out right now, and it sounds like the developer has zero interest in creating a nks file working with NI on this.
Hmm... I wonder why... :P
http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1 ... IP-Bundle?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:39 pm

sporkles wrote:
beats me wrote: Also a big gap is Serum, arguably the top soft synth out right now, and it sounds like the developer has zero interest in creating a nks file working with NI on this.

Huh?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:18 am

beats me wrote:
sporkles wrote:

Huh?
Pointing out the close relationship with Akai and the VIP software integration.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 am

I have been creating NKS packages for years to support VSTs that will probably never see NKS compatibility.

I have spoken with a few VST developers that have been quite helpful and they don't like NKS or the work involved in it. There are huge amounts of work to create NKS files and maintain this for the future JUST so they work better with Native Instruments hardware... NKS isn't open for other hardware vendors to use (unlike Akai VIP which can be incorporated by other hardware manufacturers with licensing).

End Users can't access and setup the lightguide or even create library tags to sort their own presets. It is probably the biggest complaint I have with the product is it's closed off from users who use the bloody things.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:33 pm

jestermgee wrote:I have been creating NKS packages for years to support VSTs that will probably never see NKS compatibility.

I have spoken with a few VST developers that have been quite helpful and they don't like NKS or the work involved in it. There are huge amounts of work to create NKS files and maintain this for the future JUST so they work better with Native Instruments hardware... NKS isn't open for other hardware vendors to use (unlike Akai VIP which can be incorporated by other hardware manufacturers with licensing).

End Users can't access and setup the lightguide or even create library tags to sort their own presets. It is probably the biggest complaint I have with the product is it's closed off from users who use the bloody things.
I've heard the big issue is tagging every preset is a PITA and upgrades to the plugin might break the NKS file from the previous version. Tagging would also need to be done for any third party libraries or user made libraries. I don't often use the factory presets on Serum but I have a ton of third party libraries.

But I also don't know how things would work well for plugins like Serum and Avenger where you can just pile on OSCs, LFOs, and Envelopes. Ideally you'd want to it to automap to whichever of those is in focus but I don't think its capable of that.

I have no idea how Akai's system works but I imagine it's not as deep as NKS and you are probably just scrolling through presets in consecutive order or no better than NKS where you have to manually tag every preset, but it's not a requirement for it to work.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Yeah to make the most of it you need tags which I have managed to extract from instruments like Omnisphere using OCR software and some tricky scripting. I have also worked with a number of users to convert dozens of 3rd party libraries for Omnisphere and Sylenth.

TBH it's a pain in the ass and NI dont offer users the tools to help create NKS compatibility with other VSTs. The whole things a massive gimmick to get people using NI software. There are only about 12 vendors on-board with NKS and I have written to dozens of vendors asking about NKS and if I could possibly assist and they are mostly not interested to even add NKS which is disappointing.

NI even have a full SDK to create NKS but that requires a contract and only vendors are eligible. It's one of the biggest complaints I have and one reason i'll be holding off the MKII. It has the potential to be a very good product but users just aren't given enough control over it. Certainly is not a "komplete" anything at the moment.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:51 am

Got my Komplete Kontrol 61s mk2 earlier this week, almost 2 weeks before the official release. :) But I'm a little :x at NI at the moment.

The software to run it won't be available until the official release date, Oct 5th. But that's not what I'm :x about. I've been going back and forth with email support trying to trouble shoot why it won't work. I even mentioned the Komplete Kontrol software version isn't up to the version mentioned on the site for the keyboard. They didn't comment on that and instead had me uninstalling and reinstalling things. I posted my issue on the community forum and as I suspected an NI rep responded that the software won't be available until Oct. 5th. Why didn't email support tell me that up front?!? :x

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Their whole launch is a complete clusterfuck.

They had a major early leak of their product, hardware shipping early, drivers that are not even available, loads of unanswered questions and a group of users putting on the pressure to open up the NKS standard so users can actually integrate other VSTs.

I even wrote to NI because I do a LOT of work over there on the forums and directly with users especially blind users to get instruments working and asked if there were any plans to offer an upgrade incentive discount for MK1 owners and simply got a "No". Basically what I expected but disappointing that there is no real reason for an MK1 owner to upgrade apart from fancy screens. Not for $1k!

I'm keen to look at the MK2 but I will do as I always do and wait a good 6 months until their first "booster sale" and see what their planned development is.

I wish they would actually talk to their customers and let them know what is going on.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:41 am

Yeah, but then again, the invisible subtitle here reads "From the creators of NATIVE ACCESS!"

"Here's that new thing you asked for - you're gonna need it to use our stuff from now on."
"Uh... We didn't ask for it."
"Really? Well, you didn't object to it either, though, did you?"
"You didn't ask, either."
"Well, it's pretty cool, we think."
"Agh! Where's offline activation? Where's local installer archiving?"
"Uh... Those things are not on our roadmap."
"Are you insane? Do we need to download a jillion gigabytes every time we need to for whatever reason reinstall Komplete?"
"Good news! We've added installer archiving to our roadmap."

Having said that, Native Access in its current form is getting better, inch by inch. I decided to reset the OS on my laptop to get rid of all unnecessary junk, and only install essential tools, and using Native Access was pretty much a breeze - you just need to remember to plan and set your install locations in preferences before you start downloading.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Just got a Prophet 08 and a DX7 mk2 for 1600 Canadian off of craigslist.

I just put the Prophet on my coffee table while I watch TV and say to myself "finally got that analog poly synth...I am complete"

does anyone else do this?
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:19 am

Last week I had a Moog Mother-32 delivered. After only an hour with it I ordered a second and the three tier rack kit for next-day delivery. :oops:

Looks like I have finally been bitten by the modular bug (ok, semi-modular).

For a couple of days the coffee table looked like a synth had exploded on it. :)
Unsound Designer

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:09 pm

VIP and NKS are not really any different than the much maligned Automap except for one thing: the plugins are pre-mapped for you.

Automap was supposed to get around the need to manually create templates for all your plugins. I've used Automap for a while and the automatic mappings are a nightmare...things that should be on buttons are on encoders and things that should be on encoders are on buttons, etc. On top of that the order of parameters matches the order presented by the VST which may not be optimal for a particular user, like having filter cutoff and resonance on different pages. However, if you spend time editing the Automap files (they are just text) or use the graphic editor they can be set up exactly as you like. This tedious process is what the newer protocols are trying to sidestep. The good news is there is no work for the end-user, the bad news is not all pluigins are mapped and the mappings may not be to your personal taste. One problem solved but another created.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:39 pm

arctic ranger wrote:Just got a Prophet 08 and a DX7 mk2 for 1600 Canadian off of craigslist.

I just put the Prophet on my coffee table while I watch TV and say to myself "finally got that analog poly synth...I am complete"

does anyone else do this?
Good for you! I feel complete...for a few days and then I realize I'm just addicted to buying stuff! Congrats on the Prophet - I have a Prophet 6 module. I love it.

I got the mic bug a month ago. I'm not a singer (at all) but I've used the crap out of them so far. Random found sounds are now starting to get into my tracks. I even had a buddy over I he jammed on his electric and acousting guitars while I nerded out and recorded on the mics. Sounds great. Oh, I got:

Blue - Bluebird SL - large condenser mic.
Blue - 2 x Hummingbird - small condenser mic.

I just can't get over how great these mics sound. I can't recommend them highly enough!