Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Go Circuit, by far the most fun out of all those if you ask me. Embrace unpredictabiity WITH hands on control.

I've been craving a hardware synth myself again lately, but the only thing that sonically has caught my ear is the OB-6. Beautiful sounding, but so limited too (for the price). Could the new Waldorf synth be the answer? Hard to say without knowing the price, but if it's $3k, then almost the same as the OB-6 and undeniably more features for the price.

Hardware used to be easy. Lust, save, enjoy. :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:48 am

sporkles wrote:I find myself craving a hardware synth more and more. I've realised that whenever I have a moment to spare, I'm not really making music, I'm just playing around with sounds, so I figured I might as well do that without starting a computer and launching Live. But even though synths are not as out of reach as they once were, it's still a major investment. I'm drawn to something like Arturia Microbrute, as that kind of sound is very close to my heart, but I'm sure there are other synths? that would give me more mileage. OP-1 and Circuit look like fun units, but I really prefer that meaty feeling of a classic synth, with knobs and faders that only have one function each, and no presets either. And this brings me back to the Microbrute, as it doesn't have too many parameters (don't want to get completely lost, either).

I ramble. Tl;dr: I want to touch knobs. And faders.
I had and loved the Microbrute but for the price the Korg Monologue has pretty much made it obsolete as a basic monosynth just to play around with IMHO, unless you really want that exact sound or want to include it into a modular setup.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:17 pm

If I had the money I would go for the Maxibrute :mrgreen:

https://www.thomann.de/de/arturia_matrixbrute.htm

The 64 step step-sequencer/arpeggiator, 256 preset bank, 16x16 patch bay combination is something I had not seen before on an analog synth.
3 oscillators (+noise)
great filters
The analog effects where serviceable when I tried them
And all the buttons and faders felt very good.

Oh and it sounds pretty wild too 8)

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:47 pm

I own a microBrute.

I'll keep this short...if you have only $300 to spend and no other hardware, it's a good first instrument (as the Monologue probably is). However a $300 instrument is going to have a lot of limitations. It has knobs and sliders but compared to any of the plugins you are using today, it's weak...as you should expect.

I don't use my microBrute by itself...I hook it up to a semi-modular synth and patch in the mB's LFO, EG and step sequencer. I got it used for $165 which is what I would pay for a small Eurorack skiff never mind buying the modules.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Korg released Gadget for Mac. :)

$200...on discount, normally $300. :?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:57 pm

It's pretty cool how you can open your Gadget projects in Live though with all the instruments automatically assigned to individual tracks for further tweaking. Pricey, but that's a rather unique workflow too.
Tarekith

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Tarekith wrote:It's pretty cool how you can open your Gadget projects in Live though with all the instruments automatically assigned to individual tracks for further tweaking. Pricey, but that's a rather unique workflow too.
30 gadgets available as plugins. Plus I'm assuming with the iCloud sync any sample based gadgets should be a lot easier to create on the Mac and sync with the iOS version. I'm just about sold now.

And I just got one of these to use with my 12 inch iPad.

The controls are auto mapped to the common gadget parameters with some other handy features like arpeggiator, scale, and the drum pads will play chords when on a melodic instrument. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Damn! if that thing lives up to it's promise, Novation nailed it. 8O

Don't care about the DCO style Peak, but the Mono station looks like fun, it better lockstep sync with the Circuit, I could see whole records being made with the two alone!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Circuit is one of my favorite bits of gear in many years. The Mono Station I don't "get" at all though. :(
Tarekith

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Pulled the trigger on Gadget for Mac. Makes more financial sense when you look at it as about $7 per plugin usable in any DAW, especially their classic synth emulations.

I exported a track I did awhile back in Live format and opened in Live and the plugins are already put on the tracks. :)

Only possible hiccup is I thought if you buy the Mac version then it unlocks some of the gadgets in the iOS version that you normally have to be paid for separately. There are still 3 Gadgets in the iOS version that still have a Buy link even after I restored purchases. Maybe there is a lack. I'll check later today. If it still says I need to buy I'll contact Korg.

Really looking forward to making some tracks or sketches out and about and opening them in Live with all plugins and parameters accessible. :) :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Buying the OSX version doesn't unlock the iOS versions, sorry.
Tarekith

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Tarekith wrote:Circuit is one of my favorite bits of gear in many years. The Mono Station I don't "get" at all though. :(
Always have found it weird that you're not a fan of analog gear. No judgment about it, it's just a certain sound you're not that into.
Beyond the sound, I'm a fan of knobs and sliders, not that much of a fan of the slave to 8 knobs thing that's been happening lately.
I like the though of Circuit with it's complexity backed by the Mono Station and it's accessibility. Plus I like that someone used analog parts in a modern paradigm, that's needed to happen for a while now.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Tarekith wrote:Buying the OSX version doesn't unlock the iOS versions, sorry.
Damnit, I read the * notes wrong. :x

It should unlock those for that price. Guess I have to look at the 50% off discount they are currently running for a limited time.

Looks like I would have to drop yet another $60 (plus in-instrument expansions) for iOS Gadget to be on the same instrument page as Mac Gadget, and that's at the current 50% discount. :x This begs the question would iOS Gadget also cost you $200 - $300 to have access to everything?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:00 am

last page gives me gear lust. :x

if only something would give me 'get off your ass and make some music' lust. :x

@ beats, feel free to send over any beats you angrily throw away for sounding too much like someone could rap over them.