Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Richie Witch wrote: ... all the other USB devices--so crawling around behind the desk, pulling all the hubs
Richie Witch wrote: all the hubs
maybe this is the problem.

try getting all that out of the way and use a dedicated port directly to the motherboard with the Circuit instead
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:38 pm

H20nly wrote:
Richie Witch wrote: ... all the other USB devices--so crawling around behind the desk, pulling all the hubs
Richie Witch wrote: all the hubs
maybe this is the problem.

try getting all that out of the way and use a dedicated port directly to the motherboard with the Circuit instead
Yeah, I know where you're coming from. And I tried that. But... even if I plug the Circuit directly into a port on the motherboard, every other device on every other port (except the mouse and keyboard) have to be disconnected to get the Novation software to recognize the Circuit.

And the thing is--the Isotonik software for Circuit runs just fine. Plug it in and go. So really, everything is connecting just fine at the hardware level. But there is something in Novation's software that refuses to recognize that the Circuit is plugged in unless the Circuit is the only thing plugged in.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 pm

It sounds like some kind of conflict. Have you looked in the Device Manger when it happens to see if an error shows up?

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:30 pm

H20nly wrote:It sounds like some kind of conflict. Have you looked in the Device Manger when it happens to see if an error shows up?
Hmmmm.... can't remember. Worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 pm

stringtapper wrote:I have fallen headlong down the Eurorack/modular rabbit hole and I forgot to pack climbing gear.

:cry:

:twisted:
I'm afraid of never having money for anything else. I could see getting completely wrapped into it. I already have a starting point designing a Polivoks clone out of new old stock Polivoks parts direct from the creator who licensed Harvestman to put out modules. That starting point is 2+K and it only goes up from there. Metasonix is an obvious choice in my case as well. The amount of cool Eurorack devices out there is overwhelming. I love the forced commitment getting a really good patch on a modular does though, you either write a song with it or let it back into the ether.

Also I would need a beard, you need a beard and poor vision for true modular geekery. :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 pm

I got lucky and avoided the modular bug, it's interesting but I think long term I'd just end up making weird noises in the dark by myself.

Oh wait...

OB-6 arrived a couple days ago though, there's a beautiful sounding bit of gear if I do say so. Been doing nothing but chilling in the studio with the lights off making these weird atonal soundscapes that just go on for infinite.

Oh wait... Dammit.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:04 am

I've avoided modular because I have little enough money as it is, I have to ask myself "do I need this" / "what do I need this for". Otherwise I'm jumping down a hole that costs >10k.
That said - I'm going to set up a rack that's just for processing, a Eurorack of saturation and spring reverberation!

I did pick up one of those Dreadbox Hades kits a few days ago, mainly because I wanted a small project to refresh my soldering skills before I partially re-cap my MonoPoly. But also because a dedicated bass synth is actually something I will use.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:48 am

I wish I enjoyed soldering more, that does look like a fun project to tackle.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:10 am

Yeah, it's kinda magical really . A pile of resistors, capacitors, transistors ,etc and if I put them all in the right order it makes noises like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vSluXIAQvg

fun!
I hope they bring out a kit for the Erebus, that would be amazing!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:31 am

Oh yeah! I was thinking about picking up one of those kits too. Looks like it would be a lot of fun, and it's really affordable.

Might wait until I'm finished with my own re-capping project, a vintage Tascam M-312B mixer. I have all 12 of the channel strips done so far, but still have several weekends worth of work to go, especially since the meter bridge has an odd crosstalk problem.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 am

Richie Witch wrote:
H20nly wrote:It sounds like some kind of conflict. Have you looked in the Device Manger when it happens to see if an error shows up?
Hmmmm.... can't remember. Worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion!
it could be the notorious Windows Registry issue:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/ ... rt-problem

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:06 am

Just found out about this. Haven't tried it yet.

https://vcvrack.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 pm

beats me wrote:Just found out about this. Haven't tried it yet.

it's good, but right now there's no VST bridge, it's purely standalone. remember to download all the extensions, otherwise you'll only have the basic module set
The patches are text (xml) and paste-able.

I thought of starting a thread here with our patches, but it seems redundant until VCV can integrate with live.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Angstrom wrote:
beats me wrote:Just found out about this. Haven't tried it yet.

it's good, but right now there's no VST bridge, it's purely standalone. remember to download all the extensions, otherwise you'll only have the basic module set
The patches are text (xml) and paste-able.

I thought of starting a thread here with our patches, but it seems redundant until VCV can integrate with live.
How does it compare to Reaktor Blocs? (not that I've sue those either)

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:46 pm

www.dmitrysches.com

The site is experiencing issues, probably from all the interested people checking it out. Great new softsyth Thorn currently on sale for $70. There's a fully functional demo that just lowers the volume periodically. I really like the glitch sequencer. You can randomize each effect lane and coupled with the arpeggiator its an instant industrial or progressive house gold mine.