Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:20 am

Not really, Lives warping files don't hinder third party samples so they wouldn't get in the way being in the Spark folders. The problem with Spark is each kit is individually packed into a folder, so getting a folder with snares etc. isn't going to work for browsing, but if Live added tagging folders to the warp file you could tag snares etc. in each folder if you wanted, and even better, only tag snares you like. We're at a place IMO where we all have far too many samples that we will never use, and taking the time to delete them is not happening, but if I really liked a snare in Spark or Battery etc, and wanted to have it tagged in a favorites folder in Live it could be a total workflow enhancer to have a virtual folder with all your favorite snares from all over your hard drives.
I don't believe that Ableton would be wiling to devote that much resources to the idea, they would rather you make a copy of the file and drag it into Lives folders, but personally I would vastly prefer it. This way copies of the samples would only be happening when you consolidate your set, as it stands once consolidated you would have three copies of the same snare on your hard drive.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:10 am

Machinesworking wrote:If I was just getting Komplete and Live I would be amazed by Komplete.
2 years with Komplete 9 and I'm still amazed. I use Razor, Monark, Massive and FM8 about every day. I'm not that fond of the effects though and use them less and less. I deinstalled Kontakt, Battery and Absynth as I realized I never used these.
Make some music!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:35 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:If I was just getting Komplete and Live I would be amazed by Komplete.
2 years with Komplete 9 and I'm still amazed. I use Razor, Monark, Massive and FM8 about every day. I'm not that fond of the effects though and use them less and less. I deinstalled Kontakt, Battery and Absynth as I realized I never used these.
Lol! to each their own for sure. I use Kontakt and Guitar Rig all the time, pretty much nothing else from
Komplete. For FM wave table additive etc. Bazzile, Loom, Falcon, Zebra, Synclavier, etc. for analog it's Diva, Xils and Arturia synths. Though Absynths FX section is also well worth keeping it around for.

Not knocking your choices it's just funny how different synths appeal to different people. Though I'm surprised about Kontakt, the shear number of third party sample libraries alone keeps it around for me.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:42 am

UPS brought me a Yamaha DX7s tonight, in perfect condition. And O M G, it sounds gorgeous!!! Been playing it all night. Couldn't even stop to eat dinner. Need to get to bed so I can go to work tomorrow morning.... but I can't stop... 8O
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Richie Witch wrote:UPS brought me a Yamaha DX7s tonight, in perfect condition. And O M G, it sounds gorgeous!!! Been playing it all night. Couldn't even stop to eat dinner. Need to get to bed so I can go to work tomorrow morning.... but I can't stop... 8O
Yamaha DX7: For when you are annoyed how easy software is to program. :)

I’m pretty sure Trent Reznor destroyed 70% of all DX7s ever manufactured during NIN tours.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:19 pm

beats me wrote:
Richie Witch wrote:UPS brought me a Yamaha DX7s tonight, in perfect condition. And O M G, it sounds gorgeous!!! Been playing it all night. Couldn't even stop to eat dinner. Need to get to bed so I can go to work tomorrow morning.... but I can't stop... 8O
Yamaha DX7: For when you are annoyed how easy software is to program. :)
Yeah, pretty funny in that regard. I had an Emu Xtreme Lead-1 for awhile. Enormous capability, but all the programing was via a 4-line LCD screen and 4 context-sensitive encoders. I fiddled with it a bit, made a couple patches, but programming it was a serious labor of love. I eventually sold it since it sounded "too clean" for what I do anyway.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:25 pm

I had a couple of the Command Stations which were basically the same thing. You're right, crazy powerful in their own right, but programming was a chore.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:20 pm

beats me wrote: Yamaha DX7: For when you are annoyed how easy software is to program. :)
I'm the weird kind of guy who grew up programming Casio CZ's and Yamaha DX's, and even quite like it!

but still, we all would prefer one of these to go along with that DX7, eh?
(It's what Eno used, but hesold it along with his DX)

just look at the size of it!
RARE AND SOUGHT-AFTER JMS DX PROGRAMMER - the 'mystery blue knob box' in pictures of Eno's studio. WITH PROVENANCE: THIS IS THE ACTUAL PROGRAMMER FROM BRIAN ENO'S STUDIO. There are some reports which talk of Eno saying that the thing overheated or didn't always work properly; but when it arrived at VEMIA it seemed to be functioning exactly as it should. It has anyway been checked over by Lucid Sound, and is sold in perfect working order. Cosmetically, the bottom is not good. These programmers were hand-made, and the design of the bottom means that the plywood round the screw-holes gets damaged - the screw-holes are too close to the edge. But the top - what you see and play with - is virtually as new. It is the more desirable Mark II version of the programmer, with extra controls to use with a TX-816. It comes with a copy user manual, and with written provenance from Brian Eno.
http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=4626

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Wow... that IS impressive. Assuming it plugs into the MIDI IN port, so it would have to contain all the MIDI logic to send the right CC commands from each control. Wonder how close you could get with one of those build-your-own MIDI controller kits?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Would it bankrupt NI to chop $50 off the price of their 25 key keyboard when they have a sale for $100 off the rest of their keyboards? Right now you can get the 49 key version on sale for the same price as the 25 key which they didn’t put on sale.

Some of us would like the 25 key version because of real estate issues but it just feels dumb spending the exact same amount of money as the 49 key version. :? Furthermore some people might just get the 25 key version at some discount as a spare or impulse buy. Not on sale, not going to do it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:30 pm

beats me wrote:Would it bankrupt NI to chop $50 off the price of their 25 key keyboard when they have a sale for $100 off the rest of their keyboards? Right now you can get the 49 key version on sale for the same price as the 25 key which they didn’t put on sale.

Some of us would like the 25 key version because of real estate issues but it just feels dumb spending the exact same amount of money as the 49 key version. :? Furthermore some people might just get the 25 key version at some discount as a spare or impulse buy. Not on sale, not going to do it.
I'm half the mind to swear off purchasing ANY NI Hardware as both of my hardware devices (Kore and Rig Kontrol 3) are discontinued, not guaranteed to work in future versions of OSX/Windows, and aren't even supported in their MIDI Control Center. So in the future Rig Kontrol Very likely won't even be useful as a MIDI controller.. Apogee, M-Audio and now NI are on my shit lost for this. RME and Metric Halo have a great history of supporting cards they made 16 years ago, and even eventually in the case of Metric halo offering a conversion kit for firewire to Thunderbolt/USB3.

That said, an 88 Key Komplete Kontrol would be absolutely useful to me, pecking around for key switches in Kontakt libraries gets old quick, 100% the best reason for the light bars.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:53 am

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote:Would it bankrupt NI to chop $50 off the price of their 25 key keyboard when they have a sale for $100 off the rest of their keyboards? Right now you can get the 49 key version on sale for the same price as the 25 key which they didn’t put on sale.

I'm half the mind to swear off purchasing ANY NI Hardware as both of my hardware devices (Kore and Rig Kontrol 3) are discontinued, not guaranteed to work in future versions of OSX/Windows, and aren't even supported in their MIDI Control Center. So in the future Rig Kontrol Very likely won't even be useful as a MIDI controller.. Apogee, M-Audio and now NI are on my shit lost for this. RME and Metric Halo have a great history of supporting cards they made 16 years ago, and even eventually in the case of Metric halo offering a conversion kit for firewire to Thunderbolt/USB3.

That said, an 88 Key Komplete Kontrol would be absolutely useful to me, pecking around for key switches in Kontakt libraries gets old quick, 100% the best reason for the light bars.
I have asked myself that with Komplete 11 included for an additional $100, can you go wrong? (Already use Komplete 9) I was thinking the 49 key actually. The 25 is much too small even if more portable. Well, I'll probably miss it. Too many bills…
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:56 am

Angstrom wrote: but still, we all would prefer one of these to go along with that DX7, eh?
(It's what Eno used, but he sold it along with his DX…
just look at the size of it!
Image: https://i2.wp.com/www.sequencer.de/blog ... 5c93_1.JPG
Spine-tingling gear.
Make some music!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:42 am

Stromkraft wrote: Well, I'll probably miss it. Too many bills…
That's me right now. I probably will eventually get the 88 Key, but likely used in the Summer when I'm making good money, construction is brutally slow January through March.

Not that impressed with Komplete 11, I'm on 9 Ultimate They need to update Absynth, FM8 and Massive IMO rather than roll out more included sample content and Reaktor ensembles. In general I don't think I've been the market for NI for a while.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: Well, I'll probably miss it. Too many bills…
That's me right now. I probably will eventually get the 88 Key, but likely used in the Summer when I'm making good money, construction is brutally slow January through March.

Not that impressed with Komplete 11, I'm on 9 Ultimate They need to update Absynth, FM8 and Massive IMO rather than roll out more included sample content and Reaktor ensembles. In general I don't think I've been the market for NI for a while.
I'm still on Komplete 6!
I haven't really seen anything in the intervening 5 versions that was massively different. All the main synths are pretty unchanged and apart from a bunch of nice included sample content there's nothing I really needed. I bought the update to Reaktor, because I've been using that thing since it was called Generator ... but even that was a weird slender upgrade. Blocks are nice, but really just a framework for 'instruments' with mod source limitations, and very high resource usage. After such a long wait that seemed a little bit thin.