Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:05 pm

My bank bot thinks buying music software at 4 AM is suspicious activity. GAS doesn’t have business hours. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:19 pm

beats me wrote:My bank bot thinks buying music software at 4 AM is suspicious activity. GAS doesn’t have business hours. :x
My main buying time is 11:55PM, at least half my plug ins are purchased on sale 5 minutes before the sale ends, because it's not a deal until I'm stressed I miss the cut off point. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote:My bank bot thinks buying music software at 4 AM is suspicious activity. GAS doesn’t have business hours. :x
My main buying time is 11:55PM, at least half my plug ins are purchased on sale 5 minutes before the sale ends, because it's not a deal until I'm stressed I miss the cut off point. :x

Every Friday I excitedly wake up like a kid on Christmas morning. That’s when I transfer money to savings, pay off my credit card (yes, every Friday), and maybe make some music purchase from my queue. Occasionally I pull money from savings to pay for those, but better pulling money from close to zero interest earning savings than paying 15%+ interest to a credit card. Know your maths. :x

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:00 pm

I have had a few purchases not go through with european software companies that are downloadable, citibank seems to think It is suspicious activity even though I have told them a few times to occasionally expect international charges from the above vendors. I have missed a few sales from this hassle, but at least big-brother citibank has my "back"....
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:35 am

And I thought I was the only one waking up at 4 AM all sweaty and shaking with an uncontrollable urge to order an analogue monotynth on Thomann! :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:11 pm

Weird random discount 50% off NI Komplete email. Upgrade to 10 for $99 or Komplete 10 Ultimate for $349. Usually they don’t do the 50% off deal until the summer and it’s for a new version. 10 is not new. I’m on 10 Ultimate and usually the 50% off to the next version of Ultimate is $200, not $349.

I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come along with them never including their new Symphony Series libraries in Komplete. Maybe they’ve caught on to the fact that a ton of users are on Ultimate and just sit and wait to add everything new in the previous year on the KU upgrade for $200 in the summer. At least that’s what I do. :|

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:07 pm

I think the current promo is in combination with a Komplete hardware purchase?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:12 pm

Their home page says that, but the email and the link from the email doesn’t mention anything about needing to also purchase a piece of hardware.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Screw PayPal. After my card kept getting rejected the other morning I made the purchase with PayPal. I setup PayPal to default to the same credit card, but no, they pulled the money from my checking pushing me damn close to an overdraft and pushing my well planned out elaborate money shuffling roadmap ahead by 3 weeks. :x :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:37 pm

beats me wrote:Screw PayPal. After my card kept getting rejected the other morning I made the purchase with PayPal. I setup PayPal to default to the same credit card, but no, they pulled the money from my checking pushing me damn close to an overdraft and pushing my well planned out elaborate money shuffling roadmap ahead by 3 weeks. :x :x
At some point this will turn into a 12 step thread, "Hello my name is machinesworking and it's been 10 days since i bought gear!" :oops:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:21 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote:Screw PayPal. After my card kept getting rejected the other morning I made the purchase with PayPal. I setup PayPal to default to the same credit card, but no, they pulled the money from my checking pushing me damn close to an overdraft and pushing my well planned out elaborate money shuffling roadmap ahead by 3 weeks. :x :x
At some point this will turn into a 12 step thread, "Hello my name is machinesworking and it's been 10 days since i bought gear!" :oops:

I miss john gordon. He was the master of spontaneously buying gear, just as spontaneously returning it within 30 days or reselling it, and then buying it again after some reflection. :|

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:08 pm

yeah but he was way too genuine to be allowed to stay. you're only allowed to have opinions that are politically correct; as long as that's the only political thing about them.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:55 pm

Valhalla DSP plugins. Any opinions on here? They seem to get highly praised and are relatively dirt cheap.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:33 pm

I'm no reverb connoisseur, but Valhalla Vintage is pretty much the only reverb I use these days. It can do huge, it can do small, it sounds magnificent and it's a lot easier to wrap your head around than many other reverbs. I've been meaning to grab Shimmer too, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:09 pm

sporkles wrote:I'm no reverb connoisseur, but Valhalla Vintage is pretty much the only reverb I use these days. It can do huge, it can do small, it sounds magnificent and it's a lot easier to wrap your head around than many other reverbs. I've been meaning to grab Shimmer too, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Cool. I was thinking exactly Vintage and Shimmer. Not really sure what the other reverbs would be needed for. Seems like Vintage covers a lot of ground and Shimmer is more of an ambient atmosphere effect. Sounds like the developer eats, sleeps, and drinks reverb and makes plugins for people who don’t quite get reverb, simple interface for quick results.