Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by beats me » Fri May 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Any rumors about what the next Maschine update is going to have?

Historically speaking they are waaaay behind on releasing the latest version of Komplete. Maybe they are contemplating some subscription based model. Shit, in advance. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 27, 2016 6:19 pm

beats me wrote:Any rumors about what the next Maschine update is going to have?
They were super vague in the press release, didn't really reveal much. IMO the glaring issue with Maschine as it stands is the inability to reorder the Scenes in length and sequence order on the fly. So clunky songwriting in Maschine, you have to duplicate by hand lengths to get various things, like a Scene that repeats itself 4 times and then later in the song one that repeats 2 times would have to be different Scenes. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Machinesworking wrote:They were super vague in the press release, didn't really reveal much.

Was it a 30 second video mostly consisting of close-ups of hardware and parameters that you aren’t quite sure are the actual GUI, real hardware, or some kind of CG hologram that doesn’t actually exist punctuated by musical risers and drops? :P

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 27, 2016 7:37 pm

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
No it's a thread topic in the NI Maschine forum.
https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... ty.270814/

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Why I wil stick with using more than one groove box, and DAW?
Using a really heavy Diva patch with multi core threading On:

Digital Performer 9.02 can get 8 instances of Diva playing at a buffer of 128 before CPU craps out.
Live can run 3. :x :x :x :x

Oh, and this is DP9.02, the coming update is promising twice as many plug ins in DP!

Just for the curious, opening up Activity Monitor shows that in both cases the CPU is maxed across all threads.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:31 pm

New Pioneer flagship CDJs: $5,000. $6,000 if you want a touch screen. I guess that’s one way to financially make up for the people jumping ship to software DJing while sticking it to your loyal users. :|

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:58 am

Historically speaking they are waaaay behind on releasing the latest version of Komplete. Maybe they are contemplating some subscription based model. Shit, in advance. :x
The developers just posted a notice on their forums explaining the delay and a little bit about the future of Maschine.

Nothing shattering so far, but it sounds like a new point release shortly and a larger release within the next year.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Tarekith wrote:
The developers just posted a notice on their forums explaining the delay and a little bit about the future of Maschine.
Nothing shattering so far, but it sounds like a new point release shortly and a larger release within the next year.
My name is Florian Schneidmadel and I'm the Director of Products at Native Instruments in Berlin. It's been a long while since we've released some information to the Maschine community about what the team is working on, so I'm going to break the habit, take a step back and share a little info about what's been happening and what the Maschine team has planned.
I like this sort of communication from developers. I think it is good because it makes the company feel human, approachable,and not so corporate.
Even if the developers don't really say anything it's reassuring to hear from real people behind the products we use. We like to hear from the makers because we have all had bad experiences dealing with faceless corporations. Corporations get bought out, they change directions mysteriously, they shave margins to pump share prices. That's the corporate game.

I feel that when a company allows open personal communication from developers it has a great benefit in reassuring the customers and giving a face to the corporation. It shows the corporation is made up of happy motivated people rather than mere "workers" operating under a dictatorial figurehead. I like to see developers being enthusiastic about their wishes, desires and goals because it makes me understand them as a team of people working with noble aims in mind. It imbues the product itself with a personality.

I am likely to commiserate with Bob Codeperson for not quite reaching his lofty intended aims, I can relate to that.
I am likely to rage against UncommunicativeMonolithCo for not delivering, I cannot relate to an uncommunicative monolith.

When customers feel like they are pounding on a monolith they tend to become disheartened and to become negative towards that monolith.
Or they worship it. One of the two.

When a corporation suppresses open communication and favours the marketing department to communicate to customers it makes me suspicious. Like North Korea "glorious leader" suspicious.

That's what I'm saying. There may be some sort of subtle subtext here.
Very very subtle.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:55 pm

New Sugar Bytes synth - Factory. Demoed it today, and I think it has a lot of potential. I just hate it when I mess around with a demo version and saving is disabled. I've seen demos where you can save your patch, but you can't load it again; this is a much better approach, IMO. What do you guys think about the price? $139 reasonable?

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:39 pm

Angstrom wrote:When a corporation suppresses open communication and favours the marketing department to communicate to customers it makes me suspicious. Like North Korea "glorious leader" suspicious.

Very very subtle.
NI sold us Hope and Change so we can’t get mad at them later because technically they didn’t promise anything specific.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:15 pm

beats me wrote:
Angstrom wrote:When a corporation suppresses open communication and favours the marketing department to communicate to customers it makes me suspicious. Like North Korea "glorious leader" suspicious.

Very very subtle.
NI sold us Hope and Change so we can’t get mad at them later because technically they didn’t promise anything specific.
https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... 4-5.80682/

Looks pretty good, not so hopey changy :wink:

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 pm

sporkles wrote:New Sugar Bytes synth - Factory. Demoed it today, and I think it has a lot of potential. I just hate it when I mess around with a demo version and saving is disabled. I've seen demos where you can save your patch, but you can't load it again; this is a much better approach, IMO. What do you guys think about the price? $139 reasonable?
I think it's a reasonable price even if it's not that good (and it's probably very good) - too often we expect things for knock down prices while paying extortionate prices for "luxury" goods and brands.

I think the Sugar Bytes crew and the rest of us "musicians" should stick together - they work hard and it's difficult developing software.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:13 pm

If you’re looking for good female vocals somewhat geared towards EDM a la Kaskade and Zedd, Black Octopus has some good sample packs.

http://blackoctopus-sound.com/product/e ... ee-vocals/

http://blackoctopus-sound.com/product/siren-by-veela/

They will also work with other genres of course and along with full song vocals there are some good vocal effects and sounds if you want to get all ambient or Gladiator soundtrack, for lack of a more current reference. Lyrically the full songs are typical dreck but no reason you can’t slice them up to make them your own brand of dreck.

They have at least 1 good male vocal pack, but nobody is looking for that. :P

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:11 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote:

Very very subtle.
https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... 4-5.80682/

Looks pretty good, not so hopey changy :wink:

A major update for Logic just came out. Both the Maschine and Logic update notes read like a “how it should have worked in the first place” list and I didn’t really see anything to get excited about. Didn’t see anything in the Maschine list about the promised big improvement with DAW integration, or did I miss something?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:35 pm

beats me wrote: A major update for Logic just came out. Both the Maschine and Logic update notes read like a “how it should have worked in the first place” list and I didn’t really see anything to get excited about.

I'm actually a big big fan of features that should be implemented that aren't in a piece of software.
I would use Live a lot more if it had SysEx support for instance.
Didn’t see anything in the Maschine list about the promised big improvement with DAW integration, or did I miss something?
The very first one. I find it completely counter intuitive to have to change Patterns to fit Scenes in order to write songs with varying Scene lengths.
Unfortunately for Logic users the MIDI note Scene change feature works really well, but it's not a nightmare in Logic to create program change messages to do the same thing.

What I don't see though is a way to record your live improvisation into a song in Maschine itself. I suppose if you set up MIDI tracks for each Pattern/Group you could record the improvisation into a DAW like Live with MIDI even now, but it would make sense to be able to do that in Maschine alone.