Kamasi Washington - The Epic

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
re:dream

Kamasi Washington - The Epic

Post by re:dream » Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 am

I'd like to hear opinions from people who know the man's work. Is the hype to be believed?

Styles Bitchly

Re: Kamasi Washington - The Epic

Post by Styles Bitchly » Wed May 06, 2015 11:45 am

He's a very good jazz sax player and his recent "Epic" stuff is well done, but I wouldn't put him on any pedestals above the legions of other great players out there. Seems it doesn't take much these days for the entertainment media hype-machine to brand certain artists as the next messiah, probably because mediocrity is so widely accepted anymore. Take the whole Robin Thicke/Blurred Lines flash in the pan thing of last year....you woulda thunk this guy was the Blue-Eyed Soul gift from Zeus himself. Look at him now. That's not meant to diminish Washington's credibility or quality of work...he's good, but everyone take a chill pill. :|

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed May 06, 2015 12:01 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:He's a very good jazz sax player and his recent "Epic" stuff is well done, but I wouldn't put him on any pedestals above the legions of other great players out there. Seems it doesn't take much these days for the entertainment media hype-machine to brand certain artists as the next messiah, probably because mediocrity is so widely accepted anymore. Take the whole Robin Thicke/Blurred Lines flash in the pan thing of last year....you woulda thunk this guy was the Blue-Eyed Soul gift from Zeus himself. Look at him now. That's not meant to diminish Washington's credibility or quality of work...he's good, but everyone take a chill pill. :|
While I generally agree, I don't think the bolded part is the reason for it.
I have the feeling that advertisment hype language has taken over any form of public narration. From news stations over radio to mere youtube "stars".

So I think in this day'n age no one wants to take a chill pill anymore, because everyone has ADHS or thinks he needs to cater to an audience that does. :x

Back the original discussion, that I have no clue about :P

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed May 06, 2015 1:34 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:jazz sax
john gordon will not be pleased.

noark

Post by noark » Wed May 06, 2015 6:50 pm

he's on a label i like :mrgreen:
102455 wrote:Grasshopper: Master, I seek loudness.
Master Po: To find loudness, first you must achieve balance.