Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by beats me » Mon May 11, 2015 1:31 pm

It’s true that when you are dropping upwards of $1.29 on something you should also get free unlimited distribution with that kind of investment.

When we are sharing our clearly superior music taste with other people its abhorrent that they are slapped in the face with a demand for the same investment, which you obviously already made on their behalf. Not to mention people have a deeper appreciation for something when it’s free.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by beats me » Mon May 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Here's a nice quote from a self entitled music listener.
I listen to music free. It's not my concern to support anyone that "chooses" to become an artist. I have my CD's in Google music & supplement it with Pandora or Spotify. Both free.

I work damn hard for my lifestyle & I'll be damned if some indie artists didn't make better plans to supplement their career choice.
:x :x

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by TomViolenz » Mon May 11, 2015 4:40 pm

beats me wrote:Here's a nice quote from a self entitled music listener.
I listen to music free. It's not my concern to support anyone that "chooses" to become an artist. I have my CD's in Google music & supplement it with Pandora or Spotify. Both free.

I work damn hard for my lifestyle & I'll be damned if some indie artists didn't make better plans to supplement their career choice.
:x :x
:evil: Fuck that guy!!!

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by beats me » Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:Here's a nice quote from a self entitled music listener.
I listen to music free. It's not my concern to support anyone that "chooses" to become an artist. I have my CD's in Google music & supplement it with Pandora or Spotify. Both free.

I work damn hard for my lifestyle & I'll be damned if some indie artists didn't make better plans to supplement their career choice.
:x :x
:evil: Fuck that guy!!!

I think there is a perception that all “indie” artists are under the age of 25 and don’t have a job or any plan to get one.

I also think with the easy and cheap accessibility to music software that there is a “anybody can do it” resentment towards music as a creative art form. And the older the person is with those feelings the more they don’t get/like the current music, not wanting to fund and encourage current “garbage”.

dazzer
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:24 am

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by dazzer » Tue May 12, 2015 11:01 am

TomViolenz wrote:you certainly have a strange way to express a "joke" :roll:

...and you "damn well know it" ;-)
That's actually very true :-) (apart from your scare quotes - wrongly used as it was indeed a joke - and the rolly eyes, which is ALWAYS the wrong emoticon to use)

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by TomViolenz » Tue May 12, 2015 11:58 am

dazzer wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:you certainly have a strange way to express a "joke" :roll:

...and you "damn well know it" ;-)
That's actually very true :-) (apart from your scare quotes - wrongly used as it was indeed a joke - and the rolly eyes, which is (unfourtunately) almost ALWAYS the appropriate emoticon to use)
T, ftfy :x

dazzer
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:24 am

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by dazzer » Tue May 12, 2015 12:27 pm

^ wanker.gif


re:dream
Posts: 4586
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by re:dream » Tue May 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Anything that gets people paying for music is good.

One big thing Apple has managed to do is to drive music prices down. Albums cost a fraction now of what CDs used to cost. That's removed any excuse for piracy.

The next step is getting radio services and broadcasters to pay artists for the tracks they pay.

Then perhaps the next generation of musicians won't die poor.

re:dream
Posts: 4586
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by re:dream » Tue May 12, 2015 7:01 pm

beats me wrote:I won’t argue about how much or little artists are making from these services. I’m more peeved by people who think music is worth absolute zero to them while also getting outraged when their daily free listening is getting threatened. You can’t have it both ways. If it’s really worthless then you should have no problem with it being gone.
Yup

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by beats me » Tue May 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Another thing the average listener doesn’t take into consideration is the small army of talented faceless people involved between the artist’s song and it reaching our ears. It’s as if they think Taylor Swift records a song with GarageBand on Thursday, emails it off to a record executive on Friday, and we’re all listening to it by Tuesday. Depending on the genre you could even argue that those faceless individuals are more important to the success of the music than even the artist.

But all some people want to see is either top artists rolling around in mad loot with or without their $1 or bedroom producers who should make a better plan B life decision.

dazzer
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:24 am

Re: Apple trying to kill free on-demand music streaming services

Post by dazzer » Sat May 16, 2015 5:50 am

re:dream wrote:That's removed any excuse for piracy.
.
Where I live the only way to buy online mainstream music is thru iTunes. Which, as I have pointed out, embeds my user data into the music files, for me unacceptable.

I disagree with your conclusion.

Post Reply