RIP: BB

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
john gordon

RIP: BB

Post by john gordon » Fri May 15, 2015 3:05 pm

89 isn't bad though, I'll be happy to make to 70!

TomViolenz

Re: RIP: BB

Post by TomViolenz » Fri May 15, 2015 6:07 pm

Yeah that's one of these cases were you read the obituaries and think: Huh?! I had no idea the guy was still alive.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 15, 2015 6:10 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Yeah that's one of these cases were you read the obituaries and think: Huh?! I had no idea the guy was still alive.
That’s because blues musicians look like they are at least 65 years old at birth.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 15, 2015 8:04 pm

He played 221 shows a year for 50 years.
At 69 he was diagnosed with diabetes, he lived for 20 more years with a disease that kills people in their 40's.
He also played hundreds of shows during that time. From 10 to 14 after his mother died he lived for four years without parents, as a sharecropper.
He had 15 children with 15 different women, and actually paid the child support on that.

The world of musicians is now filled with effete pricks arguing about which macbook weighs less and which Rompler sounds best out of the box.
How can people possibly think there's any soul left in their music when they use devices that hand them the scale? that a 6 year old can master?

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat May 16, 2015 1:08 am

:cry: RIP
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat May 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Machinesworking wrote: The world of musicians is now filled with effete pricks arguing about which macbook weighs less
ouch

@bb, miss you already

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 16, 2015 7:59 pm

starving student wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: The world of musicians is now filled with effete pricks arguing about which macbook weighs less
ouch

@bb, miss you already
:lol: :lol: Everything isn't about you though, really my comment wasn't directed your way. Though I'm one to be shocked that weight is ever a concern having lugged around a Marshall stack and being a fan of the notoriously heavy Gibson Les Paul, I simply don't get why people are so worried about two or three pounds of weight? If you aren't doing the work, then you aren't doing the work, that's what I'm getting at. Music is a hobby for most of us, but it's a lot closer to having a cabinet making hobby than a video game hobby, and I think there is this section of the Live user base that thinks of making music like a video gamer, IE everything should be easy, and I shouldn't have to do any real work.

BB epitomizes an era when musicians worked hard, we need more musicians like him, that's my point.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat May 16, 2015 8:02 pm

Machinesworking wrote:BB epitomizes an era when musicians worked hard, we need more musicians. like him, that's my point.
Actually I take that back. More gigs for me.

:x
Unsound Designer

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat May 16, 2015 11:07 pm

I wonder if sasha, digweed, or another dj/producer had passed if this thread would be at page 5 by now. :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun May 17, 2015 5:31 am

aisling wrote:I wonder if sasha, digweed, or another dj/producer had passed if this thread would be at page 5 by now. :lol:
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun May 17, 2015 10:31 am

Mad respect for B.B. and for all he's accomplished, but that dissing of electronique musicians as somehow lesser musicians is non-sensical. It sounds to me like my grandpa, who worked in a steel mill, arguing that the guys in accounting don't really work, because they sit on their ass all day and don't even break a sweat.

The times change, musical instruments change, the way we express ourselfs and our thoughts and emotion changes, music changes. B.B. would not have known how to make computer music well, just as he didn't know how to write symphonies or perform on a symphonic orchestra level.

He was a great of his time and style. Others will be great in our time it its styles. Saying one has less worth than the other is, as I said, non-sensical, and it sounds especially stupid voiced on the forums of a music software company.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun May 17, 2015 10:35 am

aisling wrote:I wonder if sasha, digweed, or another dj/producer had passed if this thread would be at page 5 by now. :lol:
Well, them being much younger, chances are their death would have been of a more unnatural variety and thus much more entertaining to chat about :P

Besides, threads get locked here as a matter of course nowadays, if they elicit more than one post per day :x

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Sun May 17, 2015 12:44 pm

TomViolenz wrote: The times change, musical instruments change, the way we express ourselves and our thoughts and emotion changes, music changes. B.B. would not have known how to make computer music well, just as he didn't know how to write symphonies or perform on a symphonic orchestra level.
I think this is very true. I would add that though BB didn't change (add didn't really need to) many embrace change as part of a larger struggle to encourage creativity.

Having listened to BB as far back as the late 60s would just like to say: RIP BB you were a class act.
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun May 17, 2015 3:48 pm

Wait, how many scales was BB known for mastering?

I'm sure more seasoned jazz and classical players could say the same thing about most rock musicians, not that I'm saying that about BB...

Anyway I don't have a problem participating in sharing/selling stuff related to the Scale effect I guess probably in the same way a drug dealer is not responsible for the customer to buy and use those drugs.
What a sad but true analogy...

Though BBs history is more interesting than the music, wasn't he more of a watered down caricature of a blues musician? I mean can you really feel the blues when he's all shiny up on stage with Lucy MCVII compared to the dusty old broke guy on an acoustic singing abiut hiw he doesn't have jack shit? And how far could he take his solos or was it really all about that one bend?
ImageImage

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun May 17, 2015 5:31 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Mad respect for B.B. and for all he's accomplished, but that dissing of electronique musicians as somehow lesser musicians is non-sensical. It sounds to me like my grandpa, who worked in a steel mill, arguing that the guys in accounting don't really work, because they sit on their ass all day and don't even break a sweat.

The times change, musical instruments change, the way we express ourselfs and our thoughts and emotion changes, music changes. B.B. would not have known how to make computer music well, just as he didn't know how to write symphonies or perform on a symphonic orchestra level.

He was a great of his time and style. Others will be great in our time it its styles. Saying one has less worth than the other is, as I said, non-sensical, and it sounds especially stupid voiced on the forums of a music software company.
You completely missed the point. To clear it up for you hopefully:

BB King as a musician was very hard working, that can't be denied. Kraftwerk for an example, or OMD or any of the early electronic music pioneers spent months and sometimes years practicing and getting a sound that was theirs, their own voice. That, takes work. Plenty of electronic musicians today sound "good", but exactly the same, no voice, no work put into anything more than sounding professional.

That people want the lightest laptop or use scale tools to make sure they play only in key are just examples of this, there are plenty of great accountants, but there are far more mediocre accountants these days. I'm not into Rush, or Tiesto, but I can tell you who I respect more.