dark anime

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
empathy1

dark anime

Post by empathy1 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:16 pm

hello friends

looking for recommendations for mysterious, dark, dystopian, anime similar to jin roh and akira.

i prefer movies as opposed to series. help me out and thank you

oblique strategies

Re: dark anime

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:55 am

Psycho-Pass
If you like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Blade Runner, & especially Phillip K. Dick, then this is worth your time. I was highly impressed.

"So here we are with Psycho-Pass, potentially the most groundbreaking cyberpunk series since Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, a show that has garnered acclaim, plaudits, and fan fervour like in the good old golden days of anime"

It is a series, but just consider it a long movie :wink:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:38 am

Sounds good, but this:
oblique strategies wrote: "So here we are with Psycho-Pass, potentially the most groundbreaking cyberpunk series since Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, a show that has garnered acclaim, plaudits, and fan fervour like in the good old golden days of anime"
can be found on the backflap of every book in existance
Whithout knowing who said it and mentioning why we should care about that persons opinion, it's just marketing fluff.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:12 am

I liked the quote, & wasn't aware that it may be a cliche. :oops:

Reviews for Psycho-Pass are available on IMDB, including the one which I took the quote from. However, I prefer not to post specific links, but rather simply recommend things. Reviews often give away far too much of the plot. Fortunately, the review I quoted from is judicious, but I still think the plot is best delivered by the film itself.

If Psycho-Pass sounds like something you'd appreciate then by all means check it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed. :wink:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:31 am

I will keep it on my will possibly watch it list. It's quite a long list already though. (please note, I'm not the OP, so this should def. be more interesting to him/her)

But yeah that quote was like: Well, what else would they say?! What nowadays is not: "potentially the most groundbreaking", and "has garnered acclaim" and has a quality "like in the good old golden days".

It's empty marketing rethoric and I certainly take your word over empty fluff like that any day. Especially since your posting history in the picture thread makes you out to be quite an expert on the artform 8)

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:58 pm

Just off the top of my head...
Ergo Proxy, Blame, Gilgamesh, Texhnolyze, Karas, Gantz, Ghost In The Shell movies + SAC & Arise, Kurozuka.
+1 on Psycho-Pass.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:13 pm

Old school, but Wicked City and Vampire Hunter D.

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:57 am

thank you everyone adding much of this to my list

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:31 am

TomViolenz wrote:Especially since your posting history in the picture thread makes you out to be quite an expert on the artform 8)
Thank you. Many hours invested in movie mania... :mrgreen:
glenn303 wrote:Just off the top of my head...
Ergo Proxy, Blame, Gilgamesh, Texhnolyze, Karas, Gantz, Ghost In The Shell movies + SAC & Arise, Kurozuka.
+1 on Psycho-Pass.
Love the Ghost In The Shell movies & series, & will check out the others. Thanks.
Tarekith wrote:Old school, but Wicked City and Vampire Hunter D.
Definitely.

Also liked the Cashern Sins series. Post apocalyptic bleakness.

Here’s other I watched recently: Expelled From Paradise. Not dark, & not particularly compelling, BUT it has amazing Mecha battles! I usually don’t go for just Mecha, preferring the darkness like the OP, but fast forwarding to the final battle is worth it.