Adele, Hello, What?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
beats me

Adele, Hello, What?

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:51 pm

I don’t think I’ve heard a song so hyped and praised in recent history. I’ve even seen praise heaped on it in music production forums mostly populated by pop music haters. Finally listened to it. I don’t get the hype. It’s not a bad song, but I generally buy music when it’s playing in the background and I’m not paying attention to what the vocalist is prattling on about. It’s all about the melody pulling me in. In that regard Adele isn’t doing anything special compared to a dozen other current pop female vocalists right now.

Anybody care to explain what all the pants wetting over this song is about?

Tarekith

Re: Adele, Hello, What?

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:46 pm

It's just the latest big artist album to come out, the PR machines have been in hype mode for weeks on this one trying to make it sound like it's more than it is. You know, like most big album releases :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:17 pm

I’m also willing to wager it’s partially due to the Oprah/Ellen “OMG She’s not a hot 20-year-old industry bot!” factor.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:14 pm

Probably, but I couldn't even guess at those kinds of motivations.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:20 pm

This is weird but I just had lunch in a pita shop where I eventually realized they had nothing but what sounded like Adele songs playing. Like on repeat. Definitely heard the same song at least twice.

:x
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:24 pm

My wife and I were on vacation in Italy a couple months ago, and I literally heard (only) the 6 same songs at least 100 times each in the 2 weeks we were in Livigno and Lake Como. It was like every restaurant, bar, and store all subscribed to the same crappy radio station, almost creepy. If I hear Mika's "Staring At The Sun" one more time, I'll go into convulsions.

(catchy as it is, in a Billy Corgon sort of way)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:41 pm

To me Adel is that quintessential artist that the middle aged and up crowd has to latch on to like it’s a hot new thing when in reality they are a hodgepodge of other artists that have been doing the same thing for quite some time but the listener doesn’t know how to find new music that isn’t being played on the radio. Big bonus praise for putting in musical elements from genres that are at least 40 years past their prime.

Post by 102455 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:20 pm

I'll tell you what caught my attention recently...

A rather stonking cover of Radiohead's Creep by Postmodern Jukebox - but it's the vocalist that steals the show. Make sure to listen to the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lF2qEA2cw

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm not sure anyone here would appreciate Adel? Not saying she's anything special, just that as far as pop music goes, most of it is 100% driven by the voice, not based on technical ability as much as some sort of familiarity with the whole experience. The music is accidental to the vocal performance. Adel is classy voice driven pop for people who watch game show style talent TV crap like America's Got Talent, the Voice etc. Why would a forum of roughly 18-50 year old males who play mostly instrumental electronic music find anything about her that interesting? It's akin to asking you guys to name the best Death Metal act or Opera piece.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:51 pm

I see you missed a meeting. Let me bring you up to speed. All the moderation and cleanup Ableton has done over the last 6 months or so on here had a single purpose – attract more Adel fans. I wouldn’t post this question if I didn’t believe they have successfully achieved this.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:48 pm

beats me wrote:I see you missed a meeting. Let me bring you up to speed. All the moderation and cleanup Ableton has done over the last 6 months or so on here had a single purpose – attract more Adel fans. I wouldn’t post this question if I didn’t believe they have successfully achieved this.
So what's your favorite Death Metal act? :mrgreen:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:21 pm

Is Sepultura considered Death Metal? God, I'm old...and don't live in the flyover states so I'm not sure about the current state of death metal.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Sepultura? Death Metal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlmRjqBt_mE
Skål!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Goddard wrote:Sepultura? Death Metal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlmRjqBt_mE
Skål!
8)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:25 pm

beats me wrote:I see you missed a meeting. Let me bring you up to speed. All the moderation and cleanup Ableton has done over the last 6 months or so on here had a single purpose – attract more Adel fans. I wouldn’t post this question if I didn’t believe they have successfully achieved this.
:lol:

i was in line at the grocery store the other day and saw an article on the front of a magazine that said that Adele was putting her family before her career. it was so heart warming that i paid for the bottle of Jameson, left, and completely forgot about it until now.