Ghost producers

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Ghost producers

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:25 pm

Read an article about ghost producers, big name EDM artists putting music out there as their own that was actually made by an unknown artist. There’s speculation as to how much this is happening but the fact is that it is happening.

The developer of the top site that connects these artists with ghost producers doesn’t know what the big controversy is. This same thing has been happening in other genres for decades and doesn’t generate the same negative backlash as EDM. Katy Perry isn’t any less valid of an artist because she didn’t write the track. Valid point. But it’s also a valid point that her talent is in the song, it’s not her slapping her name on it and not having anything to do with it whatsoever.

The developer also says the top artists may also not have the skillset to make these tracks. WTF? For what they are getting paid they should, or be on their way to being there quickly.

So who would want to be a ghost producer? Producers who don’t want the spotlight (weird, but okay) but still want their music to be heard and to make money. Apparently ghost producers get paid well. I don’t know what the upfront fee would be but they make up to 70% of the purchase, streaming, and radio play royalties. As a no name they probably won’t make much but as Tiesto or Kaskade they’ll be doing a lot better.

I pause for your thoughts.

yur2die4

Re: Ghost producers

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:09 pm

I think it has a lot to do with where the youth is. They begin by clicking with vibes that associate with certain names. Whether it be rock and roll, pop, or electronic music. They get to a point where they are madly in love with that artist's 'output'.

Then they learn they've spent hours and days and weeks admiring something which isn't entirely what it seemed. So they feel betrayed. It takes a bit for them to snap out of it and figure out how to appreciate the world for what it really is. Like the way parents were one day betrayed by the concept of Santa Claus, and yet persist in feeding it to their children :P

At the same time, if there was no Santa game, it would be more challenging to coax money out of people, focused in large sums at specific targets.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:15 pm

beats me wrote:Producers who don’t want the spotlight (weird, but okay)
Why is that weird? I'd rather have the money.

With as much money as you say they're making you could buy an actual spotlight, which would probably be more useful than the figurative spotlight.

:x
Unsound Designer

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Sounds good, I might sign up as a ghost producer. I've got the qualifications because I've been dead inside for years.

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:14 pm

15 years ago a producer with very big credits offered me an my writing partner at the time an opportunity to be his "bitch," doing all his midi programming and production with no credits. When asked why not promote us as artists (which was was we wanted) he said we weren't cool enough for the lime light....
We passed on the opportunity and obviously my career never really took off beyond the few "almost" encounters...
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:15 pm

Business relationships happen all the time where people make something that inevitably ends up having another name stamped on it. As long as everyone is cool with the relationship, no harm no foul.

From an artistic standpoint it sounds shitty, but most ‘Pop Artists’ are nothing more than glorified performers. For them the big picture is what’s important. The careers of people who write that music are validated by using the performer as a vehicle.

Me personally, if I could actually stand to write ‘EDM’ I would have no problem being a ghost producer. I wouldn’t want to be known for making that kind of music but I certainly wouldn’t mind making money off of it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Some big name artist who frowns upon this practice was trying to wax poetic about how EDM fans really connect with the music on a different level and this is a betrayal. Don’t lovers of any genre connect with it on a different level?

EDM is mostly an illusion anyway with a computer doing most of the heavy lifting. Should we start giving awards for best use of a compressor or filter cutoff automation? Seriously, it’s a dude sitting at a computer for the most part. What romantic visions are these EDM super fans having about what happens in the studio? Ironically they don’t seem to give a shit when they are doing mostly nothing on stage in front of their eyeballs. I guess they get a pass because surely they must be exhausted from all that mind blowing production that almost put them in the hospital. .

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:57 am

I'm pretty sure MusicRadar has a top ten best compressors list every month, they get their rewards!

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:01 am

.dance music is alot about expectations..you set up expectations under a certain brand...and if you dont deliver tha expectation then you lose the customer...

think about how you buy the same deodorant brand.....what if one day you pop the cap and it smells like some totally different brand.....yes...there is maybe a a 30% chance you might like it....

so enter the ghostwriter....not out of deception or malice...but out of wanting the musical world to have harmony...and to avoid messing up people's expectations

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:59 pm

I think it’s safe to assume the same high expectations exist for other genres and artists. And if an EDM artist isn’t producing their own tracks and not really doing much performing on stage I think you do really have to question why they are so elevated.

I remember the whole rock star DJ debates of the late 90’s and early 00’s. That largely died down with the introduction of the producer DJ, but it seems in some cases that can’t even be done with integrity either. But I also admit that integrity doesn’t have to be a factor for people to enjoy something.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:24 pm

beats me wrote:they don’t seem to give a shit
This.

Unforunately, no one gives a shit.It's all about keeping the "brand" running.

Most common hint someone is employing a ghost producer is the phrase "me and my team" when it comes to Superstar DJ's being asked about working in the studio..