Why I'm leaving Live for Bitwig.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
stringtapper

Re: Why I'm leaving Live for Bitwig.

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:34 am

older_fart wrote:and many many of the opensource tools that companies like Live use and then extend come from the open source world (for example PureData --> MaxMSP).
Wrong.

Max came first. Miller Puckett wrote Pd as an open source replacement for Max after IRCAM licensed it to Opcode as a commercial product..
Unsound Designer

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:37 am

stringtapper wrote:Wrong.
I think they meant Pd --> MSP, which isn't wrongy wrong. https://puredata.info/docs/faq/pdmaxjmax

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:34 pm

lowshelf wrote:
stringtapper wrote:Wrong.
I think they meant Pd --> MSP, which isn't wrongy wrong. https://puredata.info/docs/faq/pdmaxjmax
Yes, that part is true. The audio engine was prototyped in Pd first.
Unsound Designer

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 pm

My main laptop for everyday use is running Ubuntu, and I love it! Tried some musicsoftware on it, but could not steal my heart.....

It would be nice to have Live on Linux, but the next thing is drivers for hardware such as audio- and midi interfaces, not to speak of the many different controllers. All these vendors have to switch to a third OS for drivers and stuff.

If you like linux, why not use Apple, which is a sort of UNIX? Well for me it is to expensive for what you get. I don't make huge amounts of money on musicmaking - it's an expensive hobby for me.

I'm saving money right now for building a new PC, and for the money it will be more powerfull than a Mac of the same price. My current music PC is 8 yrs old now this month, and needs replacement.

The same music PC will be used for my wife when my new PC arrives. The "old" one gets a flavor of Linux, proberly Elementory OS, as it is simular in looks as Mac OS - what my wife is used to.

Linux is ready for DAW's - the rest of the bussiness ain't - which is a shame. It would be nice to have one flavor of Linux for music - supported by the DAW vendors alongside the hardware vendors. This MusicLinux could be a more then stable platform for musician. It is a cheaper way to realise good music "machines".

Right now I'm using Win7/64, and though it works fine, it ain't ideal. The Win and Mac OS'es have to many gadgets to be lightweight. And of course the more lightweight an OS is, the more resources we have for what we love most: making music!!!!

If DAW vendors could work together on this buildingblock OS, where all their product will work with, they would have a big advantage too: less problems for their helpdesks!

Just thinking out loud.....

Older_Fart: good luck, have lots of fun - and make beautifull music!!!!! Cheers!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:49 pm

antic604 wrote:Ok, so technically I'm not leaving Live for Bitwig just yet, but since a week I'm a proud and happy owner of the letter (bought Live 9 Suite in Jan '17) and I gotta say I'm impressed by how well-integrated and cohesive it is compared to Live. Some of the features standing out are:

- hybrid tracks and bounce-in-place - initially I only thought this will be useful for doing some complex off-line editing for segments of my otherwise MIDI tracks, but the side-effect of it is that I can use performance hungry VSTi-s and keep them as MIDI in Launcher, copy the clips to Arranger, bounce-in-place and they consume much less CPU; I know Live has freeze (& flatten) but it's great to be able to use it only for segments of the track - it's much faster, I can have it working on the same track, etc.

- modulators - at the beginning it's overwhelming and some simple things achieved easily in Live (e.g. modulating certain range of parameter or choosing chains in racks based on velocity, note or selector) require a bit more work and change of mindset in Bitwig, because it's one step lower in terms of abstracting those things; but once you get the hang of it it's so much more deep and flexible and eats no CPU in contrast to loading MaxForLive to just use simple LFO...

- no arbitrary restrictions to what you can and can't do in a specific view: editing of samples, automation / modulation, etc. can be done from either Launcher or Arranger

- layered editing of clips, i.e. I can see several MIDI and 1 (I think, haven't tested more?) audio clip overlaid over each other and can edit them in relation to each other,

- groups within groups, which is a blessing for effect-heavy music,

- ability to have both Launcher and Arranger side-by-side makes it easier to drag & drop clips between them and to combine playback from both views to test ideas on the fly,

- ability to have a proper, vertical mixer in Arranger with list of plugins on each channel (yes, I know the options.txt hack for the latter),

- properly working high-DPI screen support on Win10 - I don't have to choose anymore between Live's blurry GUI or properly sized VST windows! :)

- properly working zoom (CTRL+two fingers up/down) and much more intuitive scrolling with two fingers either vertically or horizontally,

- dedicated touch screen interface, with bigger controls, optimised layouts and some clever ideas - I'll probably stick to normal keyboard & trackpad on my Surface Pro 4, but you got to appreciate their work there which is likely geared towards live performance rather than studio work,

It's worth mentioning, that my workflow might be untypical for Live, because I use Session only as a storage for short ideas, whereas the real mixing and matching of those ideas to form a complete track takes place in Arrangement. Therefore, as such I don't 'jam' in Session nor record that 'jam' to the timeline. As a result I don't see a point for a controller like Push or Launchpad and instead prefer regular MIDI controller with 'normal' keys, pads and knobs. I don't use script for my controller (even though it is supported) and instead map everything manually, to get the control I need.

Hope Ableton is paying attention to what's happening in Bitwig, because lots of those things I mentioned are - or seem to be - simple fixes or additions, many of which have been requested for ages by now.
Thank you for posting this. Very informative.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:57 am

C'mon guys, Live 10 will have most of the features of Bitwig and at least 3 more things too!!
2020 is gonna be a hell of a year!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Angstrom wrote:C'mon guys, Live 10 will have most of the features of Bitwig and at least 3 more things too!!
<Can-this-really-be-right? outrageous="on">

Yes, and Bitwig has gracefully agreed to stop their development too until then!
--Dominik, Bitwig team

</Can-this-really-be-right?>
Make some music!

MissAngie

Post by MissAngie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:02 pm

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/five-m ... -10,4.html
http://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/mic ... 66708.html :x

Windows (10) becomes more and more a commercial trap, if you choose a powerfool computer you will soon be forced to have a bigger Windows, which will also work on obscure statistics tasks (data privacy).
The possibility of choosing a powerful computer for the operating system (Windows 7) disappears. I use for twenty years and I have less and less confidence. For me Linux is security, freedom, neutrality.

Ableton is trapped in Microsoft's OS choices :(

:|
Last Ableton Live for progressive psytrance, I hope for life.
I recommand the quite or hot pearls hunt in the https://www.psyshop.com CDs seller database (to plan aspirine).
"Less is more", motto of minimal art.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:00 pm

MissAngie wrote:Ableton is trapped in Microsoft's and/or Apple's OS choices
i went ahead and fixed that for you. you were missing an OS.

dustboxednorth

Post by dustboxednorth » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:59 pm

beats me wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:15 pm
I don’t know if that was venting. You have a very niche need and Ableton has enough to work on with the 2 most popular OSes without adding a third rail.
The reason why its niche is because users don't want to migrate to it. Why not? Because the software they're used to isn't available on it. But then, all of the sudden, the devs of said software say they don't develop for it because it's "niche." So, new users don't use it. The choice is simple here, I'd say. Consumers are stubborn and usually don't want to try Linux because they can't use all of their favorite software. If the devs are gonna be as stubborn as the consumers, you've got a problem. I just recently picked up Ableton and to see that it has one of those userbases that thinks Linux is "niche" is immensely disappointing. :?

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:31 am

IMO Ableton should make a low-latency RTOS Ableton "OS" distro that boots Ableton straight (like instantly) on common hardware (Intel, AMD, ARM).

It would solve the competition from standalone boxes like Maschine+, solve their user's dependency on Mac/Win/Linux, it would make Live portable and bootable, it would make possible for everyone to build their own "Ableton boxes".

If it was RTOS and low-latency it would provide a significant advantage over current Live on Win/Mac and other systems (the Linux distros people use like Ubuntu or Mint are not RTOS, their audio latency is not any better than Win/Mac).

EDIT: I could be wrong, but my understanding is that digital audio would benefit from RTOS (Real-Time Operating System), because digital audio needs precise timing and order, when one sample gets late or out of order then all the audio gets delayed to "sync" everything. But again, I could be wrong.
♥♥♥

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:56 am

pottering wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:31 am
IMO Ableton should make a low-latency RTOS Ableton "OS" distro that boots Ableton straight (like instantly) on common hardware (Intel, AMD, ARM).

It would solve the competition from standalone boxes like Maschine+, solve their user's dependency on Mac/Win/Linux, it would make Live portable and bootable, it would make possible for everyone to build their own "Ableton boxes".

If it was RTOS and low-latency it would provide a significant advantage over current Live on Win/Mac and other systems (the Linux distros people use like Ubuntu or Mint are not RTOS, their audio latency is not any better than Win/Mac).

EDIT: I could be wrong, but my understanding is that digital audio would benefit from RTOS (Real-Time Operating System), because digital audio needs precise timing and order, when one sample gets late or out of order then all the audio gets delayed to "sync" everything. But again, I could be wrong.
I had these thoughts 20yrs ago already....... But the problem is also hardware coverage, ie.: drivers for the huge amount of interfaces that exists right now. My thoughts where then to make an Music OS, adepted by all big DAW companies, so you can use more then one DAW per OS. And it would be easier for the hardware manufacturers to code their drivers.

I use Linux and used Linux in many flavors and still like it, but I don't like the music software for "normal" distro's.

As for Windows 10, as I can't speak for Apple OS, at the moment I don't have much trouble running Win 10 pro. But fine tuning Windows after a fresh install is a pain in the ***. Not to speak of the fact I had to buy a new audiointerface last spring when Focusrite decided not to update their drivers for my good working Focusrite Safire Por 40 after a Windows update!

But yes, a small footprint Music OS would be nice, with build in handy apps for making music easier!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:50 am

Well, I didn't say it would be easy.

Also, it doesn't really need to cover all existing hardware.

It would be experimental Beta-only (hell, Alpha-only) for a few select hardware, for current owners, not a new product.

(EDIT: Because the objective is not competing with Apple and MS with a new OS (which is delusional), but rather providing an option for people that need an Ableton Live-only rig that boots fast and has low-latency, compared to running inside Win/Mac/Linux, all non-RTOS OSes)

Then people can discover whether it works in their rig or not, and Ableton can see which hardware manufacturers are interested in helping make drivers and such.

Of course, Mac users would be luckier, due to Apple's lower variation in hardware setups (BTW, I'm a PC user).
Last edited by pottering on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
♥♥♥

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:56 am

Yes, that would narrow down a lot of work and problems! I would certainly participate in such project, meaning I would like to use and test it. I can't code though......

Ableton are you reading with us? LOL :D
Greetings from Miyaru.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:47 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:57 am
C'mon guys, Live 10 will have most of the features of Bitwig and at least 3 more things too!!

C'mon guys, Live 10.5 will have a few of the features of Bitwig and perhaps at least 1 more thing too!! Like an optional max pack of Radikal Granular Bassoon.

Lets have some faith in Ableton! They are surely doing something.

2022 is gonna be a hell of a year!