Music Aesthetic

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
runningwithit

Music Aesthetic

Post by runningwithit » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:59 am

anyone want to discuss music aesthetic?

i've gotten into some music that is just terribly plain noise and sound. there is a total disregard for any historical sense of western music. if anything it is a scoff at the listener, i don't think it is terribly brilliant it it just what the new technology can do. the music doesnt please me, but why should it? it is noise music. does anyone have any suggestions, should i tone down or fall into the tradition or just keep working in the noise. the noise is so vile, so distrusting, so unconventional, there are no notes, only noise. i don't know what to say other than that.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :oops: :oops: :P 8) 8O 8O :? :(
-runingwithit aka meisterable
https://soundcloud.com/miesterabel

sana48

Re: Music Aesthetic

Post by sana48 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:12 am

Music is freedom from restrictions- it is imagination materialized.

If you don't like it then don't listen to it.

I am excited at what the community is creating- every bit of noise is a contribution to the future of music.

I learned real quick to not judge another's expression, even if it sounds disgusting I can appreciate it without being judgmental.

there are no rules in production- choose your flavor and be humble- lest the harmony god's smite you...

shlomo

Post by shlomo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 pm

notes are not the fundaments of western music, intervals are...
btw, all this "noise" music in fact IS a part of western tradition music ;)

but i feel your bitterness, although it has nothing to do with aesthetics, rather with lack of proper musical education among musicians...

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:22 pm

Since the odds are slim to none that anybody is going to hear your greatest commercial hit ever written, you might as well just make noise instead. Less effort for the same end result.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:05 pm

:D

Lmao

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:43 am

music IS organized noise

doublestop

Post by doublestop » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Yes,

I was going to repeat what others are hinting at here. If you don't want to make noise.. then make music! Really, its stuff between your ears that decides what is or is not "music" or art.

My only observation is that some of these new resources, like Live and other forms of electronic music, from sampling to "noise generation"... is that it provides fresh forms of expression. Igor Stravinsky started a "Near Riot" in a Paris concert hall when he first performed "The Rite of Spring" in 1913. He took the much cherished tradition of Notes and melody and turned it inside out and upside down! Yet that piece of music is still considered to be among the most influential and revolutionary events in "modern" musical history. If you listen to "The rite of spring" with a receptive ear.. there is some AMAZING things that happen. but you could also just call it a lot of noise.

I personally often have an issue with a lot of "Dance" or Beat music... Just my own personal taste I guess.. It just all sounds the same to me. I rarely can find much emotional meaning in it, which for me, is what makes music alive. But again, that's just my own personal take.

[art]

Post by [art] » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:52 pm

i listened to noise for a while... but after a while you know, to me its like, its just as formulaic as the formalised western tradition, infact probably even more so. its just so damn predictable and dense. sure there are subtleties in there, but noise's abrasiveness just wore me down after a while

i find a lot of ambient quite close to noise, and there is some crossover. to me its almost like levels of intensity. if noise was an amplifier then ambient is somewhere down at 1 and you have the whole gamut up to noise at 11

and i saw this great interview with john frusciante once, and he was like you know, screw the organised sound thing

he was like, music is sound organised by human thought, not just organised randomly in and of itself

i kinda liked that, because sounds organise themselves. but music is decidedly a human gestalt

not to anthropomorphize what is essentially a cosmic or universal physic

but

if a tree falls in the woods, and no ones around, does it make a sound?

the answer is actually no

it makes a physical vibration yes

but without ears to transmute it and brains to vibrationally interpret, it is simply vibration

sound is brains

runningwithit

Post by runningwithit » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:49 am

ya this is all good and meaningful to me what is written here

but the truth of the matter stands, i wish i was educated enough to have written and mean for you to hear what i have written.

at the moment i'm just acting in the DAW and creating chaos

I want to at least say I intended for you to hear this chaos.

(i'm opening up an old theory book tomorrow, but it is a brick.)
-runingwithit aka meisterable
https://soundcloud.com/miesterabel

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:47 pm

oh lol, I didnt realize you were talking about your OWN music lmao...

if you dont like it then yeah, learn theory and make something pleasant to your ears.

chances are if you think it sounds like ass then others may also..

good luck lol