Is all Ableton has to offer just Electronic dubstep trap mus

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
AaronJohnsJ0

Is all Ableton has to offer just Electronic dubstep trap mus

Post by AaronJohnsJ0 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:56 pm

I've been using Ableton Live 9 for almost a year now, and when I first started I wanted to make exactly what it was meant to make. Dubstep, electronic, that sort of stuff. but now i'm in a small band, we dont have any instruments worth recording, so I've decided to try and use Ableton for this. I want to be able to make Alternative kind of music, or Rock. More of that genre. Is there any packs I can get that would let me be able to find good sounds for this type of music? Or is there a downloadable folder full of sounds for this genre that someone can direct me to? Or can someone just answer me directly on here. Is there an easy way to do this in Ableton? Or is there even a different software meant for what I'm trying to do? Thanks.

puzzlefactory

Re: Is all Ableton has to offer just Electronic dubstep trap mus

Post by puzzlefactory » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:08 pm

If you want to make "band" music but don't like the sound of your instruments. I would suggest investing in some better instruments rather than trying to use sample libraries.

Ableton would make a perfectly serviceable multitrack recorder, which is what you'll be after to record you bands "sound" and has enough effects built in (cabinet, overdrive, saturator etc etc) to shape and develope your sound too (assuming you don't have pedal boards and amps already).

login

Post by login » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:11 pm

yes, it called brain it is in your head and you can teach it to program and choose sounds for your projects as those you can hear in the songs you like.

Ableton Suite includes acoustic drum kits sounds, guitar and bass sounds (but this always suck honestly, no emulation/sample library hits the expressivness of guitars), pianos, electric pianos and a VA synth which replicates all those synth sounds used by indie bands.

But if you wanna sound like ratatat you need good guitars and good pedals.

AaronJohnsJ0

Post by AaronJohnsJ0 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:16 pm

puzzlefactory wrote:If you want to make "band" music but don't like the sound of your instruments. I would suggest investing in some better instruments rather than trying to use sample libraries.

Ableton would make a perfectly serviceable multitrack recorder, which is what you'll be after to record you bands "sound" and has enough effects built in (cabinet, overdrive, saturator etc etc) to shape and develope your sound too (assuming you don't have pedal boards and amps already).
Thanks, i really just need to learn all of the effects available.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:19 pm

Although Ableton is geared towards Electronic styles, it is also capable of more "Live" styles of music as well.

In esscence, at basic form it is a multitrack recorder with mixing capabilities so you pretty much can do any style of music with that, especially live music.

The main thing is figuring out the best way to record those instruments. What matters more than DAW is recording environment, mics, instruments, audio interface etc, live playing skills.

AaronJohnsJ0

Post by AaronJohnsJ0 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks guys, I knew that it was possible in Ableton, but i didnt know which packs to lean towards for good sounds, and im sure i can get used to mixing around with most of them to what i want.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:10 pm

AaronJohnsJ0 wrote:i'm in a small band, we dont have any instruments worth recording, so I've decided to try and use Ableton for this. I want to be able to make Alternative kind of music, or Rock.
It's not Ableton that is the problem! Your band has already make a big mistake thinking you can create rock music using sample packs rather than real guitars and drums :roll:

There are a ton of sample packs for rock music, the problem is that your songs will have to be written around the sample loop riffs. Plan on buying lots of packs :wink:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:48 pm

www.splice.com/sounds

Subscribe. Search. Preview. Download individual samples/loops.

Full sample libraries are always going to have a ton of filler you will never use.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:44 am

All instruments are worth recording. If they sound "shit" then just claim that as your sound and do shit well.
many musicians have seized the power of sounding "bad"

I was rummaging in my attic yesterday and unearthed my first guitar, a total piece of dogshit by Westone. Cost me about £60 in 1984.
Even then it was junk, the body neck and pickups - all bad. and now it's been sat with 3 rusty strings on it for about 20 years.
I had a great time jamming away on it. rusty strings and all.

If you play oddly, your instruments are junk, and your recording equipment is one up from dirt ... make a virtue of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DOnKJ232M

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:42 am

Hell Yeah!

and the only effect he used was that shirt! 8)

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:21 pm

you can make any style of music that you want on this program. sure, people who make electronic music use it, but so do plenty of other people who make entirely different stuff too.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:12 pm

slatepipe wrote:you can make any style of music that you want on this program. sure, people who make electronic music use it, but so do plenty of other people who make entirely different stuff too.
tis true!
I don't know what style of music I make, but it's not EDM. bass, guitar, mic, and Ableton Live drum racks are the main ingredients in mine.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Very few producers on here who share their music make EDM.

daddytang

Post by daddytang » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:29 pm

about as far from trap and dubstep as you can go.

https://www.reverbnation.com/groverbeat ... nkstapiece

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:00 pm

I agree that nothing supplements real instrument playing. I'm also a Reason jockey in my spare time, and must say that their A-List-Guitarist series of rack extensions (pop chords, acoustic, and power chords) have often inspired the idea of not playing guitar at all and using these for a live scenario. Not that I don't love guitar, or am not capable of playing many of these styles, I can handle my own on the guitar, but it just opens up a new ideas and possibilities of sonic modulation and manipulation that seems kind of interestingly cool in my world.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.