Since most people call Live "Ableton" ...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Emanresu0891

Since most people call Live "Ableton" ...

Post by Emanresu0891 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:22 pm

Should we also start calling "Live" "Ableton". Ableton as a company seems to be responsible for adding to the confusion with their marketing of the newest version. On the box of Live 9 you will read the program name to be " Ableton Live". The older boxes of Live had a small Ableton logo and "Live" was the largest word on the box.

With the newer version reading "Ableton Live" it becomes easy for people to drop the second word and just use the first. It may not make sense to most people why the word live is even there.

Tarekith

Re: Since most people call Live "Ableton" ...

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 29, 2016 6:27 pm

In Berlin most people think Ableton is a T-shirt company.

Fact.

:)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

drbtz

Post by drbtz » Mon May 30, 2016 4:50 am

I think it should always be referred to as "Ableton" for technical documentation purposes. The word "live" has a lot of other potential uses, and I have seen them come up many times reading help pages.

..."so I was using ableton live the other day"....
..."so I was using ableton, live the other day"....

the SAME sentence (to the grammatically shallow), but immediately the context of the issue is skewed. I have made a conscious point to never refer to the program as "Live" ever. Its "Ableton" when discussing the program, and it is "Live" when you are on a stage, or in a club, or looping or w/e. In my brain, the "live" part of Ableton, only applies to if you are using it in a performance context. If I am just producing tracks in my basement is there anything "live" about that?

Drop "Live", Ableton will do. My 2 Cents, how about you?
The Dr Is In
Ableton 9.5, Win 7, 64 bit, 8gb ram, 128gb SSD system drive, 500gb HHD storage, Sony VAIO Laptop
MF3D, MF-Twister, Queno, KMI Softstep 1.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon May 30, 2016 5:56 am

I've used it for 10+ years, but never in a live setting. I also think it should be called Ableton.

Ableton on the left, and Live on the right:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 30, 2016 8:31 am

"Live" has always been a daft name for a program.
But then, how many eejits have named their DAW the equally daft "Studio" ?

Even worse is the name "Studio One" which was surely chosen by a fan of that ancient "Who's on first" musichall / burlesque joke.

"I just bought Studio One version 3."
"Studio 1.3 ? "
"No, Version three of One"
"One What ?"
"Studio One. Studio One's on third, Live is on Nine"
"Who's on Live ?"
Etc.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 30, 2016 9:23 am

As much as I like the program, the first thing I thought when I saw the name was "Well that's going to make naming updates a bit goofy no?" :)

I've always used Ableton and Live interchangeably for the program though. Too many people I talk to use both equally at this point, so I just go with it.
Tarekith

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon May 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Angstrom wrote:"Live" has always been a daft name for a program.
But then, how many eejits have named their DAW the equally daft "Studio" ?

Even worse is the name "Studio One" which was surely chosen by a fan of that ancient "Who's on first" musichall / burlesque joke.

"I just bought Studio One version 3."
"Studio 1.3 ? "
"No, Version three of One"
"One What ?"
"Studio One. Studio One's on third, Live is on Nine"
"Who's on Live ?"
Etc.
Naming your software "Studio" or "One" or "Live" turns out to be kind of an idiot move once you realize the Internet and search engines exist. :lol:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 30, 2016 12:18 pm

It is Live nine

es ist leben nein?

:?

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon May 30, 2016 12:52 pm

On second thought, let's go for "MIDI Audio Music Production Studio: Producer Edition".

bkg2018

Post by bkg2018 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:20 pm

Well "Live" is not aan easy product name as peoples think you're talking about playing on stage. So i always say "Ableton Live".

Likewise, peoples generaly don't get it when I say "I use push on live".

You use ... what?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:07 am

Able + Ton

true story

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:57 pm

I run Ableton on my Apple so I can music. When I feel the urge to do some photo or video, I use Adobe. Adobe works pretty well, but it's still a jumbled pile of shit and Adobe's support is hilariously bad, and their forums are full of self-righteous assholes. I'd like to try Apple, but I'm so used to Adobe these days.

For a while I was messing around with Cycling '74. It's pretty fun, and I was working on some interesting stuff with a Vestax I had for a while. I've since bought Jazzmutant and installed it on my Apple. These days I'm trying to move away from my Apple for performance, since I use Apple all day at work (maybe I should switch to Microsoft for a change of pace...). Instead of using my Apple to perform, I've decided to use my Apple to perform. I have one Apple running Jazzmutant, and it controls Hexler that is running on another Apple. Apple are jerks and hasn't release a native way to make an Apple talk MIDI over bluetooth to another Apple, so I picked up an iConnectivity, which also doubles as a nice thing to get audio out to my Rane, and can connect to my Access and Akai using normal DIN connectors.

This set up works great. The only issue I had originally was figuring out a way to mimic the functionality of Ableton on an Apple. I found AppBC, which is a decent MIDI sequencer/sampler app that is very similar to Ableton. AppBC is fantastic, but the UI takes some getting used to. I still wish Ableton would release a watered-down performance-oriented version of Ableton to run on an Apple. That would be really awesome.

OK cya later I've had enough Dark Matter and Giant this morning. Time to jump on Soma and get to work!! Always wear Giro for safety!!

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Just like they made Simpler the easier version of Sampler, they could release a simplified version of Ableton Live for tablets and name it Simpleton™.
:mrgreen:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:36 pm

BoddAH wrote:Just like they made Simpler the easier version of Sampler, they could release a simplified version of Ableton Live for tablets and name it Simpleton™.
:mrgreen:
:lol:
I wonder if they will have a standup comedy night at this years Loop conference. That bit would go down great to that audience.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:37 pm

You'd have to sample the rate at which they laughed to see if it was effective though.
Tarekith