Greetings Everyone from the land of Special Education!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Maitrader

Greetings Everyone from the land of Special Education!

Post by Maitrader » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:53 pm

Greetings!

My name is Sean Navabi and I am new to these forums AND this software. I am a teacher at Oxnard Union High School District working at Hueneme High School with students with severe to profound autism. I am getting into learning Ableton for two reasons.... A) collaborate with my students on a regular basis to make music that is stimulating yet relieving for them, also allowing them an avenue for creative and personal expression and advocation, and B) give myself an outlet to flush away the day to day stress that comes with the politics, drama, and pressure of working within the special education classroom. I am a complete newbie and will be needing (most probably) a TON of help. I looked for local tutors (In Ventura County) to assist in instructing me on how the program works as well as general synthesis, but was unsuccessful in finding anyone. The cost to attend places like Dubspot, or Pyramid inc is crazy expensive and as a teacher, cannot afford such high levels of tuition. Thus, its just going to be my me, my pups, a few books, synths, and the software trekking what is thought of as a crazy attempt to bring something new to a classroom of individuals who truly need new avenues to communicate, self-advocate, and express. Anyways I look forward to getting to know you all, and hope I do not irritate with the questions that I am sure will be asked throughout the coming years! Any and all help is VERY appreciated through and through! Have a very happy 4th of July (for you US people) and a great day to all!

Sean Navabi

auto-lock

Re: Greetings Everyone from the land of Special Education!

Post by auto-lock » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:34 am

Hi Sean, nice initiative. the forums are not as active as they used to be so you might want to find another forum to supplement.

is there specific music that is stimulating and relieving for for autistic people? or do u want to attempt to find that through your collaboration?

You chose right when you chose ableton live, i can see it happening. People with special needs will be able to enjoy making music after you do a little set up to act as guidance for them. you might want/need an external controller (i suggest trigger pads to launch musical clips and enter notes). maybe get one with colored lights, they might find the lights stimulating too.

if you have not made your ableton purchase i would also suggest taking a look at bitwig studio. to me it is more fun and more capable in some areas. many people complain that it is not yet fully featured, but that wont be a big problem for you as the software will develop by the time you do (i assume). if you have dont worry about it, ableton live is awesome and in a few years time you can explore bitwig and enjoy a new toy!

as for tutorials, you can find many on youtube. you can also purchase downloadable video tutorials like this.

https://www.groove3.com/ableton-live-tutorials
https://www.groove3.com/all-access-pass

im sure there are many more. but i really found the included manual to be sufficient.

Good luck, and welcome to these dying forums :lol:

Tarekith

Re: Greetings Everyone from the land of Special Education!

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:36 am

Check out Warpacademy.com too, it's all Ableton certified trainers. Lots of cheap classes there, and very reasonably priced one on one instruction available too.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com