Starting Dubspot Next Friday!!!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
EasyWorkflow

Starting Dubspot Next Friday!!!

Post by EasyWorkflow » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:17 am

Well the time has come to take my limited Ableton knowledge the next level. I had a traumatic brain injury from a terrible accident which makes learning this software not as easy as many found it to be. I couldn't spell MIDI a year ago. I realize Dubspot it is expensive but that all depends on everyone's unique situation. For the money that the 6 month Ableton costs, I realize you could put together a new studio. Problem with me is that having all that equipment still made learning very difficult. Even though I was lucky enough to find an online Ableton certified instructor who helped me tremendously, I would get tired and occasionally cancel lessons, not complete HW, and I new I needed a formal environment to keep the momentum going and constantly learning new skills every week. Plus I am finally healthy enough to leave my apt after 3 1/2 years and commute into NYC. Dan, the owner of Dubspot is cool as hell because when he heard about my injuries, he gave me a scholarship. It still cost me a couple of grand but not the 5K the course normally cost. They also give you a full year to their online course during NYC classes and one year after completed. To my great surprise and pleasure, Thavious Beck does the 80 hours of online videos. I hope this is not too much on my brain but if I am going to do anything substantial with Ableton (I want to use it in live gigs) I have so much to learn it is almost scary.

Here is the 6 minute video which breaks down the program down in detail:

http://www.dubspot.com/ableton-live/

The other important decision was the ability to network with EDM musicians in NYC which is very important to me. That part of the school may be just as important as the material.

I hope that anyone who took the time to watch the 6 minute video agrees that if I learn everything the curriculum teaches, spend 20 hours a week outside of class doing work, I should be able to become somewhat fluid in a 6 month time frame.

The teacher of this course is DJ Extreme, http://www.dubspot.com/instructors/ He is the 12th person listed on the page and was wondering what your thoughts are on this particular instructor. Every instructor follows the curriculum but each musician will have their own take on things,. This guy looks like a powerhouse in the DJ world so I am hoping that's a bonus when learning Ableton as I also like DJing. I am a big believer in karma and fate because I was supposed to start the course 3 months ago but timing was bad so this is my new mentor for next 6 months,

Keep you posted with SoundCloud updates.

Wish me luck.

Peace

BobbyD

dafeda

Re: Starting Dubspot Next Friday!!!

Post by dafeda » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:44 am

Sorry to hear about your accident. I don't know anything about dubspot or the instructors there, but good luck!

braduro

Post by braduro » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Very excited for you; I'm sure you'll be able to keep up!
Dubspot has hosted some events, although I've never taken a course, nor have I taught there.
Practice the modifier keys and work repetitions, so it's more about playing an instrument than it is taxing your brain over what things do. And take it easy: digest and experience each lesson at your own pace. You'll gravitate towards certain functions and playing based simply on your own curiosity. Build from there.
Have fun!

mclarensmps

Post by mclarensmps » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:36 pm

Congrats man, there are some good trainers there, I've done a few months with them, James Patrick in particular is an awesome guy, hopefully you get to spend some time with him. :D